E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > New guy Delete and Tune

03-14-2023, 02:55 PM   #45
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
Are you moving the goal posts or are we still debating your claims about JR cars blowing up?

No one is debating that SPD has these things on lock, Matt is doing incredible work.

Stay on topic bud.
What Jr cars are blowing up? And how so?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 07:15 PM   #46
RebelDiesel
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
If you wanna go fast in a straight line you don’t need to lsd, the stock e-diff will do just fine sorting the power and the gain wouldn’t be enough to make a big difference. If you plan on tracking or something with turning involved then by all means do an lsd, the e-diff gets whacky once you start going into turns aggressively.
It would certainly be the very last thing I did. I'm bone stock except for some reliability upgrades right now, and I will get a little spin on twisty roads even when it's dry. Gotta be pushing it a bit, though. LSD would kind of be a cherry on top after I get everything else done. I figure with sticky 275's on the back it'll hold just fine in a straight line from 2nd gear on up.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 07:13 AM   #47
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDiesel View Post
It would certainly be the very last thing I did. I'm bone stock except for some reliability upgrades right now, and I will get a little spin on twisty roads even when it's dry. Gotta be pushing it a bit, though. LSD would kind of be a cherry on top after I get everything else done. I figure with sticky 275's on the back it'll hold just fine in a straight line from 2nd gear on up.
It’ll definitely help a lot in the twisties but in a straight line there’s barely a difference. I believe even santjers triple turbo 335d has the stock diff in it. If you have the money though then it’s a great mod to get more control.
      03-15-2023, 07:58 AM   #48
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
Are you moving the goal posts or are we still debating your claims about JR cars blowing up?

No one is debating that SPD has these things on lock, Matt is doing incredible work.

Stay on topic bud.
Haha not really but I’ll be nice.
      03-15-2023, 09:13 AM   #49
maryjane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Msport 3 Snail.

JR adds too much timing in their higher tunes 3.1 4.1, 2.0 2.5 2.8 seem to be fine. Just slower. Malone and Dudmd guys never post performance numbers anymore, guess they're too far behind to even bother.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 08:35 PM   #50
MR OHNOZ
Rep
Drives: 335i Sport 2007, 335d 2011

Another newbie looking for non-stock tuning options 335d

Quote:
I'll keep doing my homework on the tunes and report back on what I come up with.

Sounds like we are in similar boats. My first priority is to always keep my cars in top shape, which means that I'm tackling a lot of standard maintenance. Don't see any point in having a BMW if you aren't going to take the time to take care of it. Leading up to the tune I am doing a laundry list of things including: timing chain service, all seals/ gaskets (not head gasket), all transmission seals, new solenoids, and trans tune, already did the fluidampr pulley and clutched alternator pulley, motor mounts, trans mounts. Also CBU cleaning, and, of course, the full delete will come next. I love these cars (clearly since one blew up on me and I immediately picked up another one. lol) and my goal is to have this one until it is a smoking hole in the ground. I do all of my own wrenching, and rather enjoy it.

I think my main concern with everything is a synergy with the delete and the tune resulting in (of course) more power and reliability. That's why I'm curious about others' experience with tunes. Fair comment that it is subjective and there are likely proponents and haters likely for any tune. I'll keep digging to find what I end up deciding will make the most sense.

LSD would certainly be on the list of things that I think 100% make sense when you start getting the power turned up. Seems that Quaife and Wavetrack are the bests options, but I'm sure there are strong opinions on that, too. I'll have to keep posting as this all comes together. I definitely have found mounds of inspiration from all of the work that everyone on this forum has done over the years. Only seems fair that I do my part now.
Me too. Finished with the deletes and engine/trans work. Doing research on tunes. I really appreciate everyone sharing, it really helps. Contacted SPD. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 04:08 AM   #51
lucinator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR OHNOZ View Post
Me too. Finished with the deletes and engine/trans work. Doing research on tunes. I really appreciate everyone sharing, it really helps. Contacted SPD. Thanks guys.
I am also in the pursuit of reliability.

Unlearned the alphabet from my 335d a couple years ago, had it tuned by Dmitriy at DUDMD. Took care of all the resulting codes and a tasteful power increase. Only problems I've had were upgrading the intercooler boots to handle the boost.

Since I'm terrible at checking my messages, in case someone is looking for an answer and I'm here. ATM has great turbo outlet boot and upper cold side boot replacements.

https://www.atmspeedshop.com/product...utlet-hose-kit

https://www.atmspeedshop.com/products/asv-kit

I couldn't find a replacement for the stock intercooler boot (the one on the driver's side of the intercooler), so I carefully cut off the old bands form the intercooler tube and replaced them with this clamp from Mcmaster.

https://www.mcmaster.com/5276K31/

You still have a stock connection to the intercooler, but in my case the band on the intercooler tube was leaking and the stock connection is holding up for now.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 01:53 PM   #52
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
I realize I'm pinging in portion of thread about 9 months old. I'm here to say I feel the Wavetrac even when not spinning. Really nice S curves along Mississippi river levee roads (West side of river north of I-10) are a blast in my 335d. I can feel the outboard side pulling as I accelerate through the turns. Running 255/40/18 Mich PS4S all around with lots of suspension mods and car is completely illiterate. I do notice when T<50F that I feel rear spin even going straight. I didn't want 275 on rear as I rotate tires with my square setup.
Appreciate 0