E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335D Wiring Harness Removal

12-07-2023, 03:39 PM   #1
vaygr50
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328XI

335D Wiring Harness Removal

Hey guys,

I have an issue with my 335d which has electrical issues, I diagnosed it and found out that the DPF sensor hose got disconnected and it burned through the wiring harness that goes towards the transmission.

Now I actually need to take it off and when attempting to, I noticed that the loom goes behind the engine with a rectangular piece of plastic that also goes towards the engine side. I was wondering how to take that plastic piece off and was wondering if maybe someone has some experience in removing this piece and maybe some information along side of it. When looking at ista procedures, it tells me to remove intake manifold and all that, but I don't see the instructions on how to remove that specific plastic piece.

Please let me know and I appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 09:41 PM   #2
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

vaygr50
How many wires were damaged? If you only have eight or ten damaged wires, it would be easy to repair the bad section of the wiring harness. Why don't you just cut out the bad section of wires and solder in new wires in the bad section. You can leave slack in the wires to make it easy and tie it up out of the way after you finish. Just make sure the new wire is the same size or larger than the bad wire. Cut and replace one wire at a time so you can make sure you don't make a mistake. You don't need to worry about wire color of your new wire since you will be working in the middle of the harness. Lets say your new wire is black and you are replacing a 1 foot section of a wire that is pink with a blue stripe. It will still be pink with a blue stripe at each end and just have a black wire in the middle. No harm no foul.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 10:14 PM   #3
vaygr50
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomnavigator View Post
vaygr50
How many wires were damaged? If you only have eight or ten damaged wires, it would be easy to repair the bad section of the wiring harness. Why don't you just cut out the bad section of wires and solder in new wires in the bad section. You can leave slack in the wires to make it easy and tie it up out of the way after you finish. Just make sure the new wire is the same size or larger than the bad wire. Cut and replace one wire at a time so you can make sure you don't make a mistake. You don't need to worry about wire color of your new wire since you will be working in the middle of the harness. Lets say your new wire is black and you are replacing a 1 foot section of a wire that is pink with a blue stripe. It will still be pink with a blue stripe at each end and just have a black wire in the middle. No harm no foul.
I was thinking of doing this but the section that is burned is a little hard to reach as that plastic piece is really holding the harness in very nice and tight. My only issue with that is ill be cutting some wires that go towards the engine and ill have to completely cut the wiring insulation all around the wires, there's just too many wires to replace if I do it like that. It is an option but I think personally, it would be much more beneficial to just somehow know how to take off the plastic piece. That way I replace The bad wires and I can see the damage and see what needs to be replaced instead of guessing in the dark assuming that only that section is fried.

Last edited by vaygr50; 12-07-2023 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 11:51 PM   #4
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep

You might get more help if you can post a picture.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 12:28 AM   #5
vaygr50
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomnavigator View Post
You might get more help if you can post a picture.
View post on imgur.com

Here is an image of a wiring harness for a 335d that I found on the internet that closely resembles my car (should be the same for every m57).

The Blue to yellow circles is where I'm trying to redo the wiring as that's what the fault is, a pt-can signal that is being shorted so the car is not started. Green circle is approximately where the burned wires are and the red circle is what I'm trying to take off. I'm not sure if its bolts, clamps, or something else that's holding it in place there. I'm just looking for someone who has messed with this harness before and could tell me how to remove it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 10:33 AM   #6
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Author, I would advise to go over to the popular Facebook group (NABDOG). Brad Tourt is there and quite knowledgeable of the E90 harnessing. Matter of fact, he removed lots of a 335d harness to transplant an M57 engine into an E91 328i wagon. i don't recall his username here. good luck with harness removal and replacement.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 11:17 AM   #7
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

I have an extra harness for sale
Appreciate 1
BB_cuda765.00
      12-09-2023, 03:23 AM   #8
vaygr50
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
I have an extra harness for sale
If you have a harness for sale, could you explain to me how you removed it?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 01:11 PM   #9
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep

vaygr50
Look at your new harness for how it was attached. You should see some tabs or at least where the tabs used to be before they were cut off. If no tabs or indication of where the harness plastic was cut, then the harness may only be held on by the pieced you circled in blue and the metal bracket that is under the red circle. I would think that the metal bracket and piece you circled in blue would be enough to hold the harness in place since it is covered in plastic almost completely from your blue circle to the metal bracket.

Last edited by Tomnavigator; 12-09-2023 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: add more
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 04:56 PM   #10
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygr50 View Post
If you have a harness for sale, could you explain to me how you removed it?
Im not sure what you mean. How did I remove it? It's possible in car.
Appreciate 0