E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Weight savings of 40+ lbs for your E9x

03-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #23
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
How about if I buy 8 of them.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #24
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
How about if I buy 8 of them.
And have 7 of them as spares?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #25
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
What we are thinking is selling the mounting kit and battery together. Although the cnc process is great, but there can still be some slight size variations in the batteries, so the battery will most likely be sold mounted to eliminate any fitment issues.

Harold
Perfect! Take deposits, to minimize people flaking on the group buy
      03-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #26
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I'm pissed. I agreed to give a talk in Santa Barb in April. I checked on the date because the day and the date didn't synch. Turns out it's for April 2009! I was really looking forward to popping in on you guys and checking out the battery rig and some of the other cool stuff you've been doing. Oh well, still should be fun a year from now.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #27
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

How will your mount be different from what Braille states they have developed?

From their literature:

"Combined with the new Braille Auto Lightweight Aluminum Mount Kit installation into most vehicles takes less than 5 minutes!"
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #28
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
How will your mount be different from what Braille states they have developed?

From their literature:

"Combined with the new Braille Auto Lightweight Aluminum Mount Kit installation into most vehicles takes less than 5 minutes!"

If you look at the Braille mounting kit, it is not of the correct length for a direct bolt-in for a BMW. It is a universal design.

In addition, Braille's mounting kit only works with two of their batteries - B106 and B14115. Our mounting kit will work with 3 different sizes, from 11.5 up to the 21 lbs Braille battery. And will be a direct bolt in, not only for the most popular BMW chassis, but also for most late model Audi applications.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #29
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

15 people now.

Please PM or email us only if you are serious. If you have a big subs and lots of electronic gadgets, this may not work for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #30
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Does this battery work in the cold? Voltphreaks doesn't
      03-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #31
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Does this battery work in the cold? Voltphreaks doesn't
Give me a temperature range during the Winter in your area.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #32
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Give me a temperature range during the Winter in your area.

-25 degrees celcius
      03-11-2008, 12:38 AM   #33
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
-25 degrees celcius
Wow! I'll have an answer for you soon!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 11:39 PM   #34
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
15 people now.

Please PM or email us only if you are serious. If you have a big subs and lots of electronic gadgets, this may not work for you.

+1 ...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 12:47 AM   #35
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
-25 degrees celcius
The B3121 should work.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 12:51 AM   #36
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Just added two more...17 on the list so far.

S4to335,

Were you serious about getting 8 units? Because that will make my list 24 instead of the current 17!

Harold
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #37
Hegemony
Fast Like Tiger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, and I have a lot of respect for HP. I've had great dealings with them in the past and would recommend them to anyone. Just trying to pass on some information.

I know some of the people in this thread track their cars. I have a few friends who drive 350z's at the track who have used braille batteries. They work great, until you are trying to restart your car after a spin at the track. I've personally seen ~8 cases during the past year at varying temps where a car would not restart after a spin, had to be towed in, and the battery had to be recharged before the car would start again. I'm friends with the vendor who sold the batteries, and he used them in his personal car with the same results. He stopped carrying them after the problems he had.

I don't know exactly which module was being used. I could probably find out if anyone was interested. Also, I have not used these batteries personally, so I am not speaking from personal experience. I'm only relaying what I've witnessed.
      03-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #38
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
-25 degrees celcius
Move.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 09:47 AM   #39
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just added two more...17 on the list so far.

S4to335,

Were you serious about getting 8 units? Because that will make my list 24 instead of the current 17!

Harold
No...I wasnt serious.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #40
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemony View Post
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, and I have a lot of respect for HP. I've had great dealings with them in the past and would recommend them to anyone. Just trying to pass on some information.

I know some of the people in this thread track their cars. I have a few friends who drive 350z's at the track who have used braille batteries. They work great, until you are trying to restart your car after a spin at the track. I've personally seen ~8 cases during the past year at varying temps where a car would not restart after a spin, had to be towed in, and the battery had to be recharged before the car would start again. I'm friends with the vendor who sold the batteries, and he used them in his personal car with the same results. He stopped carrying them after the problems he had.

I don't know exactly which module was being used. I could probably find out if anyone was interested. Also, I have not used these batteries personally, so I am not speaking from personal experience. I'm only relaying what I've witnessed.
Solution = Dont Spin

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #41
Hegemony
Fast Like Tiger
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
Solution = Dont Spin
Heh. There was a guy who had a fire in the engine bay of his Ferrarri this past Sunday at the track. We all joked that if he had bought a nice German car instead of a cheap Italian one, that he wouldn't have had that problem
      03-12-2008, 10:01 AM   #42
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Perhaps he was using a battery not recommended for his application and use. For example the B106C, the 6 lb battery, is not recommended for a street car and is designed for racing purpose only. Was the battery fully charged before the event if it were a race car? If it is a daily driver, a few miles to work each day isn't going to properly maintain the charge on the battery. Without knowing the condition and the state of charge of the battery(perhaps a battery load test with Midtronics battery tester would tell), the failure to start the vehicle after the spin can simply be the owner's neglect. In addition, is the charging system working properly on his vehicle? Going by what you said, it sounds like the battery wasn't fully charged before the session if it had to be recharged!

We currently have our project A4 2.0T using one of our prototype mounting kits with the Braille B14115C, the 11.5 lb battery in a daily driver/weekend track car without any starting issues. As a matter of fact, we spun in that vehicle on a very cold moring with temperature in the 30s-40s on very cold tires, and the vehicle restarted right away. Just for kicks, parking lights were left on with the radio playing for an hour, the vehicle started right up as well.

Our project 335i is using the B3121 without any issues for nearly 4 months. The reason for the bigger B3121 is because the vehicle is regularly parked for weeks at a time without usage and the added cranking required for the 6 cylinder engine.

Harold
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #43
Hegemony
Fast Like Tiger
United_States
Rep

Owner neglect (failure to keep the battery charged properly) and/or using the wrong battery for the application are likely culprits. I can't say for sure as I do not know the entire details. Obviously, slapping the lightest battery available into the car without regard to sizing for the application isn't going to be a hassle free scenario.

It's good to know that you guys are testing these batteries in your project cars with good results

Thanks Harold!
      03-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #44
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Heh. There was a guy who had a fire in the engine bay of his Ferrarri this past Sunday at the track. We all joked that if he had bought a nice German car instead of a cheap Italian one, that he wouldn't have had that problem

HAHA....You can always can always count on an Italian car at the track for the following:
  • Drivers who have $2000 custom racing suits and helmets
  • Cars are shiny
  • Holding up Porsches and BMWs
  • Catching on fire
  • Stuffed into the wall