E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Recommendations for brake pads on track days (from experience only!)

05-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #67
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e9x's View Post
Will do! I got and will run all 4 corners so maybe that will help. Have you noticed that the rears wear faster than the fronts?

The interesting other change in terms of braking is I swapped the OE RFT's for some Direzza Z1 Star Specs. Combined with the R4's stopping should be decent. The event is at Buttonwillow so braking is not as critical but we shall see.

Again, thanks for the pointer! I will absolutely keep an eye on the pads as the day progresses!!
If you don't completely turn off all nannies, you'll blow through the rear brakes in a weekend, no problem.

Otherwise, it depends on how you're setting up your tires. The stock brakes are setup for skinny front tires, so if you went non-staggered like many of us, the biasing will be a little wacky.

But the rotation will bring a grin to your face.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 08:34 AM   #68
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
If you don't completely turn off all nannies, you'll blow through the rear brakes in a weekend, no problem.

Otherwise, it depends on how you're setting up your tires. The stock brakes are setup for skinny front tires, so if you went non-staggered like many of us, the biasing will be a little wacky.

But the rotation will bring a grin to your face.
Fair deal...My setup is staggered since I stayed with OEM wheels.

Question S4to335i - Does CCA allow for the DSC to be shut off?
      05-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #69
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I've never been to an event that didn't allow DSC to be shut off. What I typically do is run the first half lap with it fully on, hit the button once for the 2nd half of the lap and hten fully off come lap 2.

That way, I have the DSC angel protecting me if the tires are colder than I expected. This is more relevant to Rcomps, but it's somewhat relevant to street tires too.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #70
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:

I dont know their rules on this subject..but I have never heard of any other group having issues with disabling traction control.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 07:00 AM   #71
ToddPhilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
I dont know their rules on this subject..but I have never heard of any other group having issues with disabling traction control.
PCA official rule book states no disabling of any stability or traction control. However, I don't think it's a rule that's enforced. I know when working tech-line I've never been instructed to look for it. Probably just one more policy to protect them in case of any legal trouble.
      05-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #72
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to335 View Post
Cool, let us know how it turns out.

Im still suprised how well my stockers are doing. Im still on the original pads after all these events with no issues thus far. Of course, I havent done "South Course" yet which is supposed to be brutal on brakes.
I've run the EBS Redstuffs at a couple of Road America track events with good luck. My 330 doesn't carry the same speed as the 335s at this track but I regularly hit 125+ on the final approach to some very tight turns with no fading.
      06-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #73
SineQuaNon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 335i - Red - ZSP - Procede

Any update on how these pads are working out? I checked out EBC's website and they don't list these pads as being available for 335.

If they are indeed available for front and rear I'm going to pick up a set. I'm running the Hawk HP+ up front right now w/ stock rears and the rear end dances too much under heavy braking. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
I put the EBC yellow pads on today on all four corners in preparation for this weekend. I'll let you know how they turn out.

And I swear I saw a glowing ember go shooting in front of the car while I was bedding them in!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #74
sg335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Does CCA allow for the DSC to be shut off?
Yes. Your instructor becomes your in car stability control monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #75
sg335
Captain
Rep

I never had a problem with the Porterfield's on various cars. I currently use the R4E's and am very happy with them. They last longer than the R4's. And never run the R4S on the track. Now what about those Reybestos
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #76
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

i had a good experience using carbotech panther plus pads on my WRX. they squealed a bit when cold and needed a few hard stops to get up to temperature. however, even when cold they are rotor friendly and have sufficient stopping power for street use. if you can get over the noise they are a solid street/track pad in my opinion.

also, i find that different people have different braking styles, and different power levels in their vehicle. i think your best bet is to select a set based on the MOT and adjust upwards if needed. also, i think if a panther plus / ferodo DS2500 type pad is not sufficient for you, i think you will need dedicated track pads
Appreciate 0