E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 01/21/2020, emissions recall campaign 10e-a02: Replace fuel injectors

02-11-2020, 06:55 PM   #177
patton001
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Okay so I replaced all 6 myself about a year ago with index 12s. Would they replace them and give me my injectors back? My car was running pig rich and sputtering at low RPM. i had 2 injectors stuck open so I put the new set in myself. Does this do anything for me?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 06:58 PM   #178
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patton001 View Post
Okay so I replaced all 6 myself about a year ago with index 12s. Would they replace them and give me my injectors back? My car was running pig rich and sputtering at low RPM. i had 2 injectors stuck open so I put the new set in myself. Does this do anything for me?
I’m pretty sure you’re SOL...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:19 PM   #179
Beemermane
Rep
Drives: E92 335i; E90 325i; E60 530

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
I’m pretty sure you’re SOL...
Sooo I think in your case, you can actually have them refund you the cost of the injectors, given that you have a receipt as proof of purchase. You’re most likely not going to get your labor cost back since you did the work yourself UNLESS you have an LLC and can write up a “work order”.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 12:39 AM   #180
BrutalN54
Cool Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermane View Post
Ok guys so to clarify a few things... BMW kept my car. Right now I am in a rental 2020 530i! The SA said it would take a few days.
Also, for those who are wondering if they qualify or not, I think I’ve figured out the criteria....
So my 335i is a 09/2007 built. Before all of this I’ve called BMW to see what recalls have been performed prior to when I bought the car. Found out that in 2011, I had 3 injectors replaced on bank 1 with index 7s. These must be on currently because on bank 2 I had a 4-4-5 index.
Basically, if you had them replaced before, it doesn’t matter. If your VIN doesn’t show, also doesn’t matter. The idea is that if you have the correct build date and you NEVER had ALL SIX installed, then they will replace them all with index 12, along with new spark plugs.
This is the best news ever! Thx for giving us this update!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:18 AM   #181
2008E92335XI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

my dealer is still giving me a hard time because nothing is showing up on their computer under my VIN despite my car falling into the build date range.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:10 AM   #182
Beemermane
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008E92335XI View Post
my dealer is still giving me a hard time because nothing is showing up on their computer under my VIN despite my car falling into the build date range.
Just got the call from my SA that the injectors have already been replaced!
He notified me that my car should be finished by the end of the day (the other two recalls) and even asked me if I knew anyone else who needed to get this done so I can send them his way (made me feel as if SA’s have some sort of incentive bonus for this or something?...)
Anyways, anyone who is struggling to get their dealers to oblige..... my advice is:
Beware! Dealers are NOT aware of this.
Be VERY polite, ask for SA.
Tell them you’ve spoke with BMW NA who directed you to call your local dealer.
Explain that this is NOT a new recall but is and EXTENSION of an existing one.
As soon as they ask for last 7 of the VIN, please kindly explain that BMW NA advises to look up SIB FIRST to be thoroughly reviewed.
Then the last 7 of VIN is provided SECOND to verify BUILD DATE.
If SA DENIES its most likely because they DIDN'T THOROUGHLY READ THE SIB.
You must ask for management escalation. Be polite!
Management should be able to READ the SIB and understand it.
(I was on hold for 20 minutes before I got my green light and the rest took literally 5 minutes)
The principle here is that once management realizes that your vehicle has the correct build date, they will check if ALL SIX have been replaced with INDEX 12 by any dealer nationwide, ever. If NOT, then they should proceed with taking your car in.
READ THE PICTURE OF THE WORK ORDER CAREFULLY.
Compare the wording for my other recalls, they’re different from the SIB injector one. It’s even documented by the SIB.
You must stress that point and please be kind! Let’s all be Jedi about it fellas 🙌🏼
Appreciate 3
      02-12-2020, 01:45 PM   #183
NFIDDY4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335I

Thank you Beemermane! Just got my car booked for the exact 3 recalls!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 02:18 PM   #184
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Beemermane, I'm truly impressed. Not so sure I can replicate your results, but I'm sure going to try!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #185
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Quote:
Just got the call from my SA that the injectors have already been replaced!
He notified me that my car should be finished by the end of the day (the other two recalls) and even asked me if I knew anyone else who needed to get this done so I can send them his way (made me feel as if SA’s have some sort of incentive bonus for this or something?...)
Anyways, anyone who is struggling to get their dealers to oblige..... my advice is:
Beware! Dealers are NOT aware of this.
Be VERY polite, ask for SA.
Tell them you’ve spoke with BMW NA who directed you to call your local dealer.
Explain that this is NOT a new recall but is and EXTENSION of an existing one.
As soon as they ask for last 7 of the VIN, please kindly explain that BMW NA advises to look up SIB FIRST to be thoroughly reviewed.
Then the last 7 of VIN is provided SECOND to verify BUILD DATE.
If SA DENIES its most likely because they DIDN'T THOROUGHLY READ THE SIB.
You must ask for management escalation. Be polite!
Management should be able to READ the SIB and understand it.
(I was on hold for 20 minutes before I got my green light and the rest took literally 5 minutes)
The principle here is that once management realizes that your vehicle has the correct build date, they will check if ALL SIX have been replaced with INDEX 12 by any dealer nationwide, ever. If NOT, then they should proceed with taking your car in.
READ THE PICTURE OF THE WORK ORDER CAREFULLY.
Compare the wording for my other recalls, they’re different from the SIB injector one. It’s even documented by the SIB.
You must stress that point and please be kind! Let’s all be Jedi about it fellas 🙌🏼

You sir, are a treasure. I have a very early LCI (model year 2009) with a build date of 10/30/2008. Three injectors were replaced with Index 7s sometime in 2011ish. Looks like I’m making an appointment with my local BMW dealer!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 04:56 PM   #186
nyteryda3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i - LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody007 View Post
You sir, are a treasure. I have a very early LCI (model year 2009) with a build date of 10/30/2008. Three injectors were replaced with Index 7s sometime in 2011ish. Looks like I’m making an appointment with my local BMW dealer!
I too have a 09 with build date 10/2008. Unfortunately I didn't know about this recall so I had all injectors replaced by an indy. Not sure how to go about getting refunded for this?

And now will the dealer still perform this recall? The car has the same other open recalls as Beemermane and the dealers have only stated those 3 recalls are due, NOT the injector recall, although I haven't specifically asked them about it yet.

2009 BMW 335i 6-MT: M-Sport - ST Coilovers - BBS LM
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 05:42 PM   #187
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

Just called three local dealers and BMW NA. The first dealer told me that SIB means nothing to them...maybe they were being lazy ? The second was much more helpful and did inform me that the recall is brand new and no VIN #'s have been tagged yet so they can't schedule the recall. BMW NA told me that SIB # was an accident and does not exist. And the third dealer told me they are not aloud to strictly look up SIB # without the VIN. So I'm kind of stuck, for the few of you who have scheduled this and gotten it done any suggestions? Maybe tell me what dealer you talked to and I could have them talk to mine ?
Any help much appreciated !
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 06:24 PM   #188
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hmm just had my SA run my vin, no recalls. 06/2007 production
      02-12-2020, 06:53 PM   #189
NFIDDY4
United_States
Rep

I’ll keep you guys posted, I’m dropping the car off tomorrow morning and going to the same dealership as beemermane. I called another dealer around me yesterday and told me that he couldn’t lookup the SIB and that only techs can. Was also told by the SA to just wait till the recall letter comes out. I’m not really sure how to get the dealer to do the replacement but if you can find one somewhere around you that knows about the update, go to them.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:19 PM   #190
WoodE30
Capt. Maverick
Rep
Drives: 89 E30 325is, E92 335i N54

Garage List
2013 X5 3.5xdrive  [0.00]
1989 325is  [0.00]
2008 335I coupe  [0.00]
Good to see that some of you guys are getting your injectors replaced.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 09:43 PM   #191
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFIDDY4 View Post
I’ll keep you guys posted, I’m dropping the car off tomorrow morning and going to the same dealership as beemermane. I called another dealer around me yesterday and told me that he couldn’t lookup the SIB and that only techs can. Was also told by the SA to just wait till the recall letter comes out. I’m not really sure how to get the dealer to do the replacement but if you can find one somewhere around you that knows about the update, go to them.
Let us know how it goes...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:40 PM   #192
Beemermane
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
UPDATE:

First, to anyone still having ANY kind of issues, kindly, read my original posts over and over until you understand. I know it’s a lot of details and info all at once but I promise, my method is bullet proof and it obviously worked for me. As you all see I have uploaded my pictures of work order and rental as proof.
You have to approach this with an attorney kind of mindset lol, don’t have to actually be one. Since we are in a nation of laws, there are consumer protections. Hence the recall originally and even this update to an ancient recall. If your car is within the build date and never had ALL SIX replaced, then BMW owes you SIX new index 12 injectors. It’s as simple as that. No if’s and but’s. It’s simply a legality thing and purely logical.

As far as my situation, I was notified that my car was done. Got to the dealer just before close and was told that ALL SIX injectors have been replace. The spark plugs were in GOOD shape (just changed them last month btw, so I know they weren’t bullshitting).
Here’s the twist. They didn’t tighten the fuel feed line to the fuel rail and it leaked gas!
I found it amusing, been there and done that... they embarrassed nonetheless and I ended up staying in the rental G30 530i until tomorrow.
On another note, I do have the PAPERWORK now and will upload a picture once I get home.
PS:
To everyone who thanked me, you are all welcome. I know that a set of original index 12’s are VERY expensive and in general these are a very problematic part to have issues with so it’s nice to have all six replaces with known good reliable ones (btw there’s 2 year warranty on everything) that will last a long time.
Power to the people, the world can be better if we all work as one! 💪🏼
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2020, 09:38 AM   #193
NFIDDY4
United_States
Rep

Just dropped the car off, SA was saying it’s more of an extended warranty rather than a recall. He is going to send an email out to see if he can replace the injectors under warranty. Currently have index 9
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:05 AM   #194
nyteryda3
Enlisted Member
Rep

I had my SA at Ontario BMW look into this yesterday. Apparently my E92 had this done at a different dealership back in 2012 where they only replaced 1 of the injectors which was considered faulty, but just re-installed the other 5. This was at 70K-ish miles. This service is NOT listed on CarFax. All other services this dealer performed are listed EXCEPT this one. I found that to be odd. It's literally the only service ever done at a dealer on any of my cars that's NOT listed on CarFax. Hard to believe it's a coincidence.

At 120Kish miles I had to have all the fuel injectors replaced by an indy (reputable and documented).

So now I don't know what to do. My SA advised to call BMWNA because there's not much else he can do with the "recall/warranty work" listed as CLOSED within their system. I have the 3 other recalls still open and I want to get them done however I want this resolved at the same time so I don't have to make multiple trips to the dealer.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:30 AM   #195
Beemermane
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyteryda3 View Post
I had my SA at Ontario BMW look into this yesterday. Apparently my E92 had this done at a different dealership back in 2012 where they only replaced 1 of the injectors which was considered faulty, but just re-installed the other 5. This was at 70K-ish miles. This service is NOT listed on CarFax. All other services this dealer performed are listed EXCEPT this one. I found that to be odd. It's literally the only service ever done at a dealer on any of my cars that's NOT listed on CarFax. Hard to believe it's a coincidence.

At 120Kish miles I had to have all the fuel injectors replaced by an indy (reputable and documented).

So now I don't know what to do. My SA advised to call BMWNA because there's not much else he can do with the "recall/warranty work" listed as CLOSED within their system. I have the 3 other recalls still open and I want to get them done however I want this resolved at the same time so I don't have to make multiple trips to the dealer.

Everything I’ve posted addresses the issues of dealers misunderstanding. You’re not reading my posts comprehensively. Read it over again until you understand it. Did you stress the SIB? Did you escalate to management so they can read the SIB? I can see that you didn’t follow my instructions.
Build date and SIX index 12’s is all that matters. My car had 3 replaced back in 2011. Didn’t disqualify me.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #196
Beemermane
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFIDDY4 View Post
Just dropped the car off, SA was saying it’s more of an extended warranty rather than a recall. He is going to send an email out to see if he can replace the injectors under warranty. Currently have index 9
Let us know what happens, any and every input is crucial!
Also my opinion is that this is not a warranty. The SA’s don’t understand much on this themselves, hence the huge miscommunication happening at the moment. Once the VIN’s will get tagged, this will be resolved. I think that the original recall of 2011 was not handled properly internally by BMW, in other words, they f****d up and did it wrong. Now they’re going back to address the injectors properly because it’s simply a legal matter and they must oblige the original recall. I’m sure their legal department doesn’t want to hear anymore class actions on this so it makes sense that they’re proactively addressing this issue now, even if some of these cars are 12 years old.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #197
nyteryda3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Everything I’ve posted addresses the issues of dealers misunderstanding. You’re not reading my posts comprehensively. Read it over again until you understand it. Did you stress the SIB? Did you escalate to management so they can read the SIB? I can see that you didn’t follow my instructions.
Build date and SIX index 12’s is all that matters. My car had 3 replaced back in 2011. Didn’t disqualify me.
I read everything, understood and appreciate the thoroughness of your post. However, your situation is slightly different than mine in that I had all 6 replaced by an Indy. I'm sure if I pushed my SA, he would replace all 6 again, however is that the best solution in this situation? My current injectors only have 20Kish miles on them so if I could get refunded the amount I paid to have the service done that would be better. The best solution would be if I got refunded AND they replaced the injectors but I'm not sure if that's beyond reasonable in this unique scenario.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #198
Beemermane
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Everyone!
Whoever has read this far and taken action following my example, please, let us all know your results!
I’d like to centralize the results everyone has on here.
The more data we gather, the better our understanding of the bigger picture will be, basic science.
PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES ON THIS here with the community.
I have posted comments linking this thread here:

and here:

These injectors are a huge deal, let’s not pretend.
PLEASE RAISE AWARENESS IN OUR COMMUNITY!!
Appreciate 0