E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 Sport Mode Is No Longer Aggressive

02-17-2021, 03:51 PM   #1
JakeWhite07
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 335i

N54 Sport Mode Is No Longer Aggressive

Hello, quick question: I recently reset some adaptations as well as flashed a BEF on my 2008 335i N54 using MHD. I flashed the "Pump USA" which updated my DME from IGD0S to IJEOS. As far as adaptations are concerned, I reset every option except for the ones pertaining to throttle. Now here's the problem: although there was nothing that specifically said "transmission," my transmission feels totally different. Previously, sport and manual modes were very aggressive and fun to use, whereas now, even manual mode leisurely shifts into gear and downshifts are very slow and boring.

My questions are, is this because of the DME software upgrade/flash, or is it because of the adaptation reset. And if it is due to the adaptations, will the shifting eventually become more aggressive?

Thank you much,
Jake
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 04:36 PM   #2
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

If you reset adaptations the car will take some time to relearn
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #3
335xi_full_throttle
Gavin
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi, e46 330ci, e30 325e

Garage List
2009 335xi  [0.00]
2004 330 CI  [0.00]
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe "pump USA" has a more linear throttle map.

I remember when I first did my BEF and I choose pump USA and I was a bit disappointed in it. Did a bit of research about the maps and decided to flash the regular pump bef and it felt much better.

Anyways, you could always try it out. Flashing the car doesn't take much time.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 12:39 AM   #4
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi_full_throttle View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe "pump USA" has a more linear throttle map.

I remember when I first did my BEF and I choose pump USA and I was a bit disappointed in it. Did a bit of research about the maps and decided to flash the regular pump bef and it felt much better.

I think he's talking about how fast the shifts are, I'm not familiar with what flash you guys are talking about but I don't think it would mess with tranny stuff at the same time
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 06:30 AM   #5
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Flashing a full binary from another car is the wrong way of doing things. There's all kinds of toggles in the DME code that would cause problems.

If you wanted to update the DME you should also update the TCU too. Use WinKFP to update both modules then copy the changes from the BEF over to your new stock BIN.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 08:40 AM   #6
JakeWhite07
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi_full_throttle View Post

I agree. I tried both maps and the regular "pump" was better, but not as good as before. I am now wanting to go back to factory, however, when I flash stock, it writes DME version IJE0S. I believe this is why the throttle and shifting are not the way I like since I was on version IGD0S prior to the flash. I just don't know how (or if) I can go back...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 09:46 AM   #7
JakeWhite07
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
Flashing a full binary from another car is the wrong way of doing things. There's all kinds of toggles in the DME code that would cause problems.

If you wanted to update the DME you should also update the TCU too. Use WinKFP to update both modules then copy the changes from the BEF over to your new stock BIN.
I am slightly confused where you are coming from. Maybe it's my fault for not mentioning I'm running a JB4?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 10:02 AM   #8
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeWhite07 View Post
I am slightly confused where you are coming from. Maybe it's my fault for not mentioning I'm running a JB4?
You're flashing a binary file which is probably configured for a manual car. There's all kinds of configuration data within the binary depending on your exact model so flashing a random binary file is a bad idea. It probably works for most people but it's pretty dumb to replace the entire CAL section of your DME with data from a random car rather than just change the 200~ bytes needed for a backend flash.

If you want your car to shift well you should probably just try full MHD and remove the JB4. Saves you the hassle of all this messing around with variants too as MHD installs the latest ROM with the correct calibration automatically.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 12:37 PM   #9
JakeWhite07
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
You're flashing a binary file which is probably configured for a manual car. There's all kinds of configuration data within the binary depending on your exact model so flashing a random binary file is a bad idea. It probably works for most people but it's pretty dumb to replace the entire CAL section of your DME with data from a random car rather than just change the 200~ bytes needed for a backend flash.

If you want your car to shift well you should probably just try full MHD and remove the JB4. Saves you the hassle of all this messing around with variants too as MHD installs the latest ROM with the correct calibration automatically.
The binary file I flashed was downloaded from a post of Terry's regarding BEFs for the JB4. I would assume it is meant to be flashed onto my car. Also, I do like the JB4 better than MHD for the built in failsafe modes as well as the fact that it produces more power in my configuration.

Regardless of the tuning method, however, I have found that I like DME version IGD0S better than the newer IJE0S. I just want it back. I believe the only place it still exists is on my old DME. Is there any way to transfer the tune/ bin. file?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 04:00 PM   #10
JakeWhite07
Rep

I have another question. Is the binary file associated with the tune, the DMEs software, or both? Knowing this will greatly help me fix my mess.
Appreciate 0