E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD "take a look at my log" thread

07-05-2021, 02:39 AM   #4907
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gster109 View Post
https://datazap.me/u/gster/4th-gear-log

4th gear pull

Concerned with the HPFP pressure dropping as the RPM's climb, anyone have input?

Thanks in adavance.
That's fine, your HPFP drops to around 2000psi on WOT, nothing wrong with that.

It's when it drops to 1500psi or less that you need to be concerned.

Looks like you may have some sort of a small boost leak though,
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 11:45 AM   #4908
HB E90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i Space Gray

Quote:

4th gear pull

Concerned with the HPFP pressure dropping as the RPM's climb, anyone have input?

Thanks in adavance.
Thats normal, it stayed above 2k. Next time do a 3rd gear pull to at least 6k rpm and lets see it then. Otherwise the log looks pretty clean to me but I didnt look at everything.
2014 Acura MDX SHAWD wifes
Appreciate 2
      07-05-2021, 12:22 PM   #4909
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:

4th gear pull

Thanks in adavance.
HPFP looks normal. Interestingly enough, your rail pressure vs boost curve looks exactly like mine. I've seen them look different before, but ours are almost identical (and by this I mean initial spike in rail pressure and then slow decrease to around 2k, and boost being off by about 1psi in the mid range). I've come to the conclusion the boost may be wastegates, when I installed my new boost solenoids and tightened my wastegates it stopped doing it for about 2 days.
      07-06-2021, 09:06 AM   #4910
razthecat
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

Hey guys, long time lurker of the forums, new to posting. Before I even mention anything I just wanna say I appreciate any of you who will take the time to help, means the world to me.

Recently, like a day or two ago, my car went from sometimes overboosting over target on MHD 2+ to boosting 1-2 pounds under target. Not sure why it happened, I could physically feel the car feel a little bit more held back. My initial worry was compression and/or turbos, so I bought a compression tester which I will use today to figure out if my engine is healthy. The turbos were a concern because during the transition from a stop to low speeds I see a small puff of smoke out of the left pipe whenever I’m watching someone else drive away in my car. I decided to log my car before testing or changing anything and did 2 pulls in 3rd gear from around 2-2.5K RPM to redline. Here is the link : https://datazap.me/u/farazt123/tryna...og=0&data=3-16

Right about where boost first loads in, right after I stamp the throttle, the car will start pulsing, or hesitating, like it’s missing, but I don’t get any codes other than 2C7B which I believe is my downpipe O2 sensor going out, but it never threw a light so I figured it’s unrelated. At the same time it starts pulsing, rail pressure drops, all my cylinders get timing corrections, low pressure fuel pump starts acting weird, fuel trims go down. By the end of the WOT pull it seems like my LPFP touches 50PSI. I was desperately hoping this was my cause since it would mean a lot cheaper than an engine or turbos. If any of you are willing to go back to a log on my account that is called HPFP testing, you’ll see I did another pull, not sure if I did it properly but it seems like my LPFP doesn’t go anywhere near as low. Thanks again! Sorry for the huge post.

TLDR;

https://datazap.me/u/farazt123/tryna...og=0&data=3-16

Weird hesitation right after I open up throttle, cars boosting 1-2 psi under target after a few months of boosting over target sometimes. Haven’t done compression test yet, will today, but logs make me think potentially a LPFP.

Edit : did a compression test and here are my numbers.
Cyl #6 160 psi
Cyl #5 165 psi
Cyl #4 165 psi
Cyl #3 165 psi
Cyl #2 165 psi
Cyl #1 170 psi

Last edited by razthecat; 07-06-2021 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: Add info
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 09:42 PM   #4911
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by razthecat View Post
Hey guys, long time lurker of the forums, new to posting. Before I even mention anything I just wanna say I appreciate any of you who will take the time to help, means the world to me.

Recently, like a day or two ago, my car went from sometimes overboosting over target on MHD 2+ to boosting 1-2 pounds under target. Not sure why it happened, I could physically feel the car feel a little bit more held back. My initial worry was compression and/or turbos, so I bought a compression tester which I will use today to figure out if my engine is healthy. The turbos were a concern because during the transition from a stop to low speeds I see a small puff of smoke out of the left pipe whenever I’m watching someone else drive away in my car. I decided to log my car before testing or changing anything and did 2 pulls in 3rd gear from around 2-2.5K RPM to redline. Here is the link : https://datazap.me/u/farazt123/tryna...og=0&data=3-16

Right about where boost first loads in, right after I stamp the throttle, the car will start pulsing, or hesitating, like it’s missing, but I don’t get any codes other than 2C7B which I believe is my downpipe O2 sensor going out, but it never threw a light so I figured it’s unrelated. At the same time it starts pulsing, rail pressure drops, all my cylinders get timing corrections, low pressure fuel pump starts acting weird, fuel trims go down. By the end of the WOT pull it seems like my LPFP touches 50PSI. I was desperately hoping this was my cause since it would mean a lot cheaper than an engine or turbos. If any of you are willing to go back to a log on my account that is called HPFP testing, you’ll see I did another pull, not sure if I did it properly but it seems like my LPFP doesn’t go anywhere near as low. Thanks again! Sorry for the huge post.

TLDR;

https://datazap.me/u/farazt123/tryna...og=0&data=3-16

Weird hesitation right after I open up throttle, cars boosting 1-2 psi under target after a few months of boosting over target sometimes. Haven’t done compression test yet, will today, but logs make me think potentially a LPFP.

Edit : did a compression test and here are my numbers.
Cyl #6 160 psi
Cyl #5 165 psi
Cyl #4 165 psi
Cyl #3 165 psi
Cyl #2 165 psi
Cyl #1 170 psi
Your HPFP doesn't drop below 2000psi, that's healthy. Concern is when it drops below 1500psi. Your LPFP could be weak but it also doesn't drop below 50Psi. I don't think either of them are causing your boost fluctuations or off target issues.

It could be your boost solenoids playing up causing the boost fluctuations, also looks like you have a boost leak, as your WGDC is climbing to 80%+ and only reaching around 13psi.

Have you changed your vacuum lines recently? If not, a good idea to change them, Check charge pipe, DV connections, vacumn canister connection points for any cracks, FMIC connections.

You could also do a smoke test to help point out any possible leaks.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 10:19 PM   #4912
Mustafa.e92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335i

How do these logs look?

https://datazap.me/u/mustafa0228/log...#38;data=14-22
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 02:53 AM   #4913
nerfyo
Rep
Drives: e92 335is

Hey, im runing 335is st2+ with mhd map. Can You please take a look on log ? I can see some timing corrections, but is that something I should worry about ?

https://datazap.me/u/nerfy/st2-102-o...?log=0&data=20

You can see overboost at begining, because I have custom turbo inlets, when map is created for stocks.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 04:01 AM   #4914
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerfyo View Post
Hey, im runing 335is st2+ with mhd map. Can You please take a look on log ? I can see some timing corrections, but is that something I should worry about ?

https://datazap.me/u/nerfy/st2-102-o...?log=0&data=20

You can see overboost at begining, because I have custom turbo inlets, when map is created for stocks.
Since when was MHD v10 maps released? Looks good! But like you said bit too much knock. What fuel you running? I'd try running the 93oct map
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 04:52 AM   #4915
nerfyo
Rep
Drives: e92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernUrMental View Post
Since when was MHD v10 maps released? Looks good! But like you said bit too much knock. What fuel you running? I'd try running the 93oct map
Well its not yet, I just asked Ken for some adjustments in map, because I had problem with one faliture, so lets say for now is a "custom" and he just asked me for feedback. Fuel was RON 100 on map for 102 so maybe thats why there are knocks.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 09:26 AM   #4916
HB E90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i Space Gray

^ beta tester? Things to come? Yea I would run the 93oct map if I were you.
2014 Acura MDX SHAWD wifes
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 11:30 PM   #4917
razthecat
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Your HPFP doesn't drop below 2000psi, that's healthy. Concern is when it drops below 1500psi. Your LPFP could be weak but it also doesn't drop below 50Psi. I don't think either of them are causing your boost fluctuations or off target issues.

It could be your boost solenoids playing up causing the boost fluctuations, also looks like you have a boost leak, as your WGDC is climbing to 80%+ and only reaching around 13psi.

Have you changed your vacuum lines recently? If not, a good idea to change them, Check charge pipe, DV connections, vacumn canister connection points for any cracks, FMIC connections.

You could also do a smoke test to help point out any possible leaks.
Thank you so much for your input! My LPFP has always concerned me a bit but if 50 is the safe threshold I’ll leave it for now. I’m planning on going to a custom tune soon and I want to stitch all these issues up before then. I will be replacing vac lines tomorrow as I haven’t done them as the second owner of the car and I don’t think the first owner has either. I’ll check my DV and charge pipe connections as I’ve blown my charge pipe coupler clean off the pipe before. I’m hoping it’s just a vac line to a wastegate that’s splitting. Once vac lines are swapped and I check all the connections, if it’s still happening I’ll see if I can vac test my solenoids. Is there any way to test them without a vac tool? I would like to avoid buying one if possible
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 12:18 AM   #4918
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by razthecat View Post
Thank you so much for your input! My LPFP has always concerned me a bit but if 50 is the safe threshold I’ll leave it for now. I’m planning on going to a custom tune soon and I want to stitch all these issues up before then. I will be replacing vac lines tomorrow as I haven’t done them as the second owner of the car and I don’t think the first owner has either. I’ll check my DV and charge pipe connections as I’ve blown my charge pipe coupler clean off the pipe before. I’m hoping it’s just a vac line to a wastegate that’s splitting. Once vac lines are swapped and I check all the connections, if it’s still happening I’ll see if I can vac test my solenoids. Is there any way to test them without a vac tool? I would like to avoid buying one if possible
Not really sure how else to test them to be honest.

I hope you already have a Metal charge pipe, stock ones will eventually crack/blow especially when you are tuned.

Wastegates could also be playing up, if they aren't staying shut properly etc, but do one thing at a time to rule them out.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 08:26 PM   #4919
clopez976
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335I Sedan

hELLO
Can anyone help me with my log & help translate what everything means , if there is inconsitincy somweherre can you point it out, Car is 2009 Sedan 335i Upgraded chargge pipe, & DCI , i also added an oil catch can & walnut blast, with upgraded pvc valve.

https://datazap.me/u/carlos-lopez/lo...7-8-9-10-11-14
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 12:52 AM   #4920
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by clopez976 View Post
hELLO
Can anyone help me with my log & help translate what everything means , if there is inconsitincy somweherre can you point it out, Car is 2009 Sedan 335i Upgraded chargge pipe, & DCI , i also added an oil catch can & walnut blast, with upgraded pvc valve.

Hi,

Your log is missing a lot of logging important parameters.

I guess you can reset the logging values to default in the MHD app.

So you will have to make a new log as well
      07-09-2021, 08:00 AM   #4921
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92N54 View Post
I can definitely say the stock downpipes hide it a lot. I'd never heard any at all either, first startup with my downpipes and I went "You're fucking kidding me…". I don't think the issue is your wastegates though, I could totally be wrong of course.

Looking at the logs on my computer now.

So looking at them, I don't want to say wastegates bc if they weren't seating properly, your boost would not be as steady as it is once you hit target. It my take you a while to hit target but after that you're right on target to redline. To me it looks almost like their is some kind of restriction causing slow spool. Are you on stock airbox? (I'd be really curious to see how you'd do with downpipes. I almost want to say like a clogged cat but you'd likely have bigger issues).

Your WGDC is also kind of high once you hit target. I too run 1+ and looking at my last log on datazap, once I hit target (only takes me 300rpm) my WGDC sits around 45-50 while yours is at 63 pretty much the whole way after you hit target. Normally a higher WGDC may indicate a boost leak but unless this is some leak that is sealing itself back up under enough boost, I doubt it. At this point i'd probably start by checking vacuum coming out of the canisters, if it's steady and around 20 or above i'd suggest trying to test your boost solenoids. If your wastegate vacuum lines haven't been changed, i'd do it. The rear is really easy and tbh I found the front fairly easy with the canisters removed. Took me probably 20 minutes to replace the front line, including canister removal. Just use some silicone lube on the lines and they slide on pretty easy.
UPDATE:

Car has been at a German Performance shop getting down pipes installed. I shared the logs with them. They state there is no fuel issue, that there is a boost leak in some of the wastegate hoses, they will replace them while doing the downpipes. Overall the car checks out very well.
      07-09-2021, 01:36 PM   #4922
clopez976
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio54 View Post
Quote:
hELLO

Hi,

Thanks I just did I will take for a drive and post a new log
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 05:29 PM   #4923
clopez976
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
hELLO

Hi,

Thanks I just did I will take for a drive and post a new log

Here you go , I really appreciate it any feedback little history on this car , I bought it at a fair price from a mature lady that kept it stock, always kept the maintenance on it , I have had it since April it's amazing ! I've never been push back on a car from the acceleration!! I've so far have replaced the cover gasket , upgraded the pvc valve when I did a walnut blast , also added an oil catch can, DCI chargepipe is replaced to an aluminum one but ima going to replace it with one without the DV Valves and add a Tial bov, , the transmission was rebuilt and flashed with stage 2 XHP , rear fuel sending unit was leaking and car smelled like gas that's been changed , I have index7 injectors and just bought 6 index 12"s going to be installed this week , could where changed spark plugs changed it's flashed on stage 1 Mhd tune on 93 octane,replaced some vacuum lines , one thing I noticed is that after the tune I hear the woooosh sound as if I have a bov valve but I don't !

Thanks im hoping to keep the car as I love it ! Sure is an amazing car to drive !! I will post my progress here as there is a lot I'm gonna do to this car.

https://datazap.me/u/carlos-lopez/lo...&data=3-20
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 06:55 PM   #4924
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Here you go , I really appreciate it any feedback little history on this car , I bought it at a fair price from a mature lady that kept it stock, always kept the maintenance on it , I have had it since April it's amazing ! I've never been push back on a car from the acceleration!! I've so far have replaced the cover gasket , upgraded the pvc valve when I did a walnut blast , also added an oil catch can, DCI chargepipe is replaced to an aluminum one but ima going to replace it with one without the DV Valves and add a Tial bov, , the transmission was rebuilt and flashed with stage 2 XHP , rear fuel sending unit was leaking and car smelled like gas that's been changed , I have index7 injectors and just bought 6 index 12"s going to be installed this week , could where changed spark plugs changed it's flashed on stage 1 Mhd tune on 93 octane,replaced some vacuum lines , one thing I noticed is that after the tune I hear the woooosh sound as if I have a bov valve but I don't !

Thanks im hoping to keep the car as I love it ! Sure is an amazing car to drive !! I will post my progress here as there is a lot I'm gonna do to this car.

https://datazap.me/u/carlos-lopez/lo...og=0&data=3-20
It looks good overall, but i noticed some things :

- your low pressure fuel sensor seems to be pinned at 55.7, that might indicate you need to replace this sensor
- your iat is too high at the end of your pull, you may need to invest in a upgraded intercooler
- your lambda afr 1 & 2 are a bit slow to reach 234 again, but if you gonna change your injector this week, that's perfect, you will see if it's slightly leaking injectors or lazy o2 sensor with a new log
      07-09-2021, 06:57 PM   #4925
clopez976
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

https://datazap.me/u/carlos-lopez/lo...&data=3-20
It looks good overall, but i noticed some things :

- your low pressure fuel sensor seems to be pinned at 55.7, that might indicate you need to replace this sensor
- your iat is too high at the end of your pull, you may need to invest in a upgraded intercooler
- your lambda afr 1 & 2 are a bit slow to reach 234 again, but if you gonna change your injector this week, that's perfect, you will see if it's slightly leaking injectors or lazy o2 sensor with a new log
Wow thanks I really appreciate it! Have a nice weekend!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 06:59 PM   #4926
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Wow thanks I really appreciate it! Have a nice weekend!
You too

And the bov sound should come from the DCI, you can hear DV releasing pressure through the big filters and the increased boost of the V9 maps
      07-10-2021, 06:53 AM   #4927
Phoenixg
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Location: GTA / KW V2/Apex Arc 8 Wheels/ FBO/ Hawk HPS 5.0/Stainless Lines/ M-tech/ LCI/CIC

Hi all,

E-mailed MHD for them to take a look at my logs… was on 93oct stage2+ tune, MHD replied and said fuel looked really good & for me to try the 95oct map, so I did. MHD said logs looked good for 95oct map while running 94oct fuel. I’m a bit concerned about this and wanted a second opinion… my concern is with cylinder 5 timing corrections as compared to the other cylinders. I’ve flashed back to stage 1/91oct as I recently installed a new clutch and was breaking it in. Now that it’s fully broken in I will be flashing back to stage2+ ..
95oct log below
https://datazap.me/u/phoenix335i/log...og=0&data=3-22

93oct log below
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 08:24 AM   #4928
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixg View Post
Hi all,

E-mailed MHD for them to take a look at my logs… was on 93oct stage2+ tune, MHD replied and said fuel looked really good & for me to try the 95oct map, so I did. MHD said logs looked good for 95oct map while running 94oct fuel. I’m a bit concerned about this and wanted a second opinion… my concern is with cylinder 5 timing corrections as compared to the other cylinders. I’ve flashed back to stage 1/91oct as I recently installed a new clutch and was breaking it in. Now that it’s fully broken in I will be flashing back to stage2+ ..
95oct log below

93oct log below
Way too many timing corrections on 95oct map. Personally would stick to 93oct map.
Appreciate 1
studio54201.00