E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Supercharger stuff (MILVs+AA+BPC)

11-08-2020, 12:42 AM   #1145
Minutes2Midnight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 328i

What a coincidence! I also burnt through a gallon and a half of methanol. Unfortunately, I went through it in about a mile and almost hydrolocked my engine because my buddy accidentally wired the pump and controller backwards so the pump was running non-stop.

Fortunately, I did not hydrolock the engine because the charge pipe slipped off and the methanol had somewhere else to go other than the intake manifold; the ground. Below is what 2 week old Liqui Moly looks like when its full of water. 7 quarts went in, 8 quarts came out. Quite a lot of it made its way through the PCV to the inlet.

After another oil change, cleaning the intake, and lots of shame over nearly killing my beloved car by trying to play DIY mechanic, it now works like its supposed to and only sprays meth when the controller tells it to.

Appreciate 2
      11-08-2020, 01:17 AM   #1146
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesquash View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Glad to see everything coming together Seattlesquash . That supercharger looks like it belongs there.
I have been doing lots of driving, and really like the new and improved... been burning through almost a gallon of water-meth already! the extra torque makes for a way more fun daily.
Sounds like Corvette daily driving: fun with a lot of noise, but definitely more frequent gas stations visits.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2020, 07:24 AM   #1147
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 2007 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Glad to see everything coming together Seattlesquash . That supercharger looks like it belongs there.
I have been doing lots of driving, and really like the new and improved... been burning through almost a gallon of water-meth already! the extra torque makes for a way more fun daily.
Sounds like Corvette daily driving: fun with a lot of noise, but definitely more frequent gas stations visits.
True, but still so much better than an SVT cobra I had when I was young, which was horrible once you were on it... probably 10mpg
This still good on gas, or could get like 25+ when light on pedal, but just getting used to the Meth thing but keeping some in trunk to be safe under lid so all good! However, definitely better than the octane booster I got to add to other car.
E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      11-08-2020, 07:51 AM   #1148
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minutes2Midnight View Post
What a coincidence! I also burnt through a gallon and a half of methanol. Unfortunately, I went through it in about a mile and almost hydrolocked my engine because my buddy accidentally wired the pump and controller backwards so the pump was running non-stop.

Fortunately, I did not hydrolock the engine because the charge pipe slipped off and the methanol had somewhere else to go other than the intake manifold; the ground. Below is what 2 week old Liqui Moly looks like when its full of water. 7 quarts went in, 8 quarts came out. Quite a lot of it made its way through the PCV to the inlet.

After another oil change, cleaning the intake, and lots of shame over nearly killing my beloved car by trying to play DIY mechanic, it now works like its supposed to and only sprays meth when the controller tells it to.

Sorry to hear, glad you save it. I like your tank, what size? Also, tell as about that sweet oil cooler you got up there? Switched to driven and don't get oil that high in temp, but like to be safe obviously. Congrats on it working well now... now just reduce your pulley and retune it!
E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 04:26 PM   #1149
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Seattlesquash that stett oil cooler kit :,) I want. But tell me what you got going on?! Minutes2Midnight do tell on that methanol tank!! Looks really good. Glad you saved your motor!

Side question: where did y'all route the methanol line from trunk to bay?
      11-08-2020, 05:04 PM   #1150
Minutes2Midnight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 328i

Quote:
Sorry to hear, glad you save it. I like your tank, what size? Also, tell as about that sweet oil cooler you got up there? Switched to driven and don't get oil that high in temp, but like to be safe obviously. Congrats on it working well now... now just reduce your pulley and retune it!
Thanks! The tank is from Devils Own and its 2.5 gallons. Its baffled and the pump mounts directly to it, which I liked because Ill eventually be deleting the trunk floor storage.

Like Noir said, Stett oil cooler! Im not sure if they're still around, their website went down. The heat exchanger is massive and it works really well. Its overall a pretty simple kit. Uses a plate to delete the factory thermostat, and uses a 180 degree thermostat from Improved Racing. Temps usually stabilize right around 185-190 no matter how hard Im driving.

I have the 110mm pulley and my next mod is MILVS. Where did you source the 105mm pulley?

Also Noir I routed my methanol line through an existing hole in the trunk floor and followed a white line over the rear suspension and along the fuel lines all the way up to the front.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2020, 05:22 PM   #1151
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! The tank is from Devils Own and its 2.5 gallons. Its baffled and the pump mounts directly to it, which I liked because Ill eventually be deleting the trunk floor storage.

Like Noir said, Stett oil cooler! Im not sure if they're still around, their website went down. The heat exchanger is massive and it works really well. Its overall a pretty simple kit. Uses a plate to delete the factory thermostat, and uses a 180 degree thermostat from Improved Racing. Temps usually stabilize right around 185-190 no matter how hard Im driving.

I have the 110mm pulley and my next mod is MILVS. Where did you source the 105mm pulley?

Also Noir I routed my methanol line through an existing hole in the trunk floor and followed a white line over the rear suspension and along the fuel lines all the way up to the front.
Thank you very much, bubba.
I'm going to order this meth kit — at least get everything where it should be, line and wire wise, and then let the pros do the rest. I have some major OCD and I would evidently make this task much longer than need be. :,)

Vortech has the v3si pulleys on their site. I got with the great Marty and he told me it's just a couple washers to push the pulley outward to line the pulley with the rest of the serpentine system. I want to go down a step more (I just bought a 110mm) but like... fudge. I wish I waited another week to fix my lady. I would've taken the knowledge that Seattle blessed us with in terms of clutch issues and so on. Fml :,)
      11-08-2020, 05:27 PM   #1152
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you very much, bubba.
I'm going to order this meth kit — at least get everything where it should be, line and wire wise, and then let the pros do the rest. I have some major OCD and I would evidently make this task much longer than need be. :,)

Vortech has the v3si pulleys on their site. I got with the great Marty and he told me it's just a couple washers to push the pulley outward to line the pulley with the rest of the serpentine system. I want to go down a step more (I just bought a 110mm) but like... fudge. I wish I waited another week to fix my lady. I would've taken the knowledge that Seattle blessed us with in terms of clutch issues and so on. Fml :,)
My pulley is a 98mm one I think, but picture showed type and then just machine/modify for proper offset. I am likely going back in the near future to bring it up a bit more and to create a custom cold air intake routing... the ESS rubber fender hose is garbage, and never used it to date.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 06:59 PM   #1153
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Yeah that's my next project, too... I need a new fender liner. Holy moly is this long ... appendage... tube garbage. I know it serves its purpose and blah blah blah. But, I'm totally down to copy cat ... well, a hellcat. (I'm sure other cars before it, did it, but it's the only one I can think of). I would like to think the move would be to: dremel out a nice little 3" hole in the headlight and find a way to channel that air flow as best as possible to the intake of the blower. I imagine air will pass relatively well once I install those BMS cowl filter replacements. Hoods already vented... have a passageway into the bay and a swift exit out the top of where the cowl used to be. I hate that I still haven't got it yet, but I would love to have a dragy unit by the time I get around to that. (Which will be tune time, since the n54 IM is completely different routing and all that shit.)
      11-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #1154
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
FWIW moving the air filter location will not make any noticeable difference in power. Especially if running meth.

The only thing could would be the size of the filter, that could be a restriction but I doubt it.

A 'cold air intake' on an FI car does next to nothing because the air is compressed. It's after the compression what matters in regards to cooling be it with an IC, meth, or running something knock resistant like E85. Yes obviously cooler in cooler out but it is negligible. Let me put it this way, if you don't have any timing(knock) corrections on your tune now, lower AITs will not change a thing. Also yuo are just sucking up ambient air, when a car is moving there is no time for the air to 'heat up' for your intake to then suck it up.

If you want gains run more boost, work the head, or increase the rev limit.
Appreciate 3
Biginboca3763.50
Noir883.00
      11-09-2020, 09:37 AM   #1155
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
FWIW moving the air filter location will not make any noticeable difference in power. Especially if running meth.

The only thing could would be the size of the filter, that could be a restriction but I doubt it.

A 'cold air intake' on an FI car does next to nothing because the air is compressed. It's after the compression what matters in regards to cooling be it with an IC, meth, or running something knock resistant like E85. Yes obviously cooler in cooler out but it is negligible. Let me put it this way, if you don't have any timing(knock) corrections on your tune now, lower AITs will not change a thing. Also yuo are just sucking up ambient air, when a car is moving there is no time for the air to 'heat up' for your intake to then suck it up.

If you want gains run more boost, work the head, or increase the rev limit.
This is true, in my case I am more looking to re-route it to not sit in the engine compartment to not scream as much under WOT therefore a relocated and enclosed configuration would produce a less violent tone i project. We may also look at enclosing it more in its current location... just done so much and just looking to address the smaller details such as this one too.

Also, out of principle it bothers me that the fender routing piece from ESS is not good to me, it pinch down too much and looking to improve that, I'd we go that route.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 11:05 AM   #1156
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
This is true, in my case I am more looking to re-route it to not sit in the engine compartment to not scream as much under WOT therefore a relocated and enclosed configuration would produce a less violent tone i project. We may also look at enclosing it more in its current location... just done so much and just looking to address the smaller details such as this one too.

Also, out of principle it bothers me that the fender routing piece from ESS is not good to me, it pinch down too much and looking to improve that, I'd we go that route.
Ahh to quiet the induction noises, most want the opposite!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 12:15 PM   #1157
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I totally love the noise. My goal is to not have any more broken fender liners... All while still having the intake in a spot that is constantly fed fresh air. Especially on the Highway :,). Saw this kit for the z4, that cone is TUCKED next to the motor.
      11-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #1158
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I totally love the noise. My goal is to not have any more broken fender liners... All while still having the intake in a spot that is constantly fed fresh air. Especially on the Highway :,). Saw this kit for the z4, that cone is TUCKED next to the motor.
Here you go...

Don’t forget to post pics when it’s done!
Appreciate 2
Torgus3781.50
      11-09-2020, 12:41 PM   #1159
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I may be different, like some intake but when it's loud enough to hide the charger noise then it's too much to me. On a different note, highly recommend the driven oil and lowered my oil temps by a few degrees or more. Went with the DI40 weight and seen similar things in both our cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 01:11 PM   #1160
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Biginboca I'm going to give that owner the benefit of the doubt that it makes power........... but omfg, is that rig ugly 😂
      11-09-2020, 01:12 PM   #1161
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I may be different, like some intake but when it's loud enough to hide the charger noise then it's too much to me. On a different note, highly recommend the driven oil and lowered my oil temps by a few degrees or more. Went with the DI40 weight and seen similar things in both our cars.
I understand what you mean, now. Brains dumb today. I totally wish they didn't use such a quiet blower.
      11-09-2020, 01:18 PM   #1162
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Torgus trust.. that's the only reason why I'm pushing hard to get the n54 IM put in. To make boost allllll the way to my already extended redline. >:,) VAC sells some tricked out heads, but time will tell if I need it...
Torgus3781.50
Biginboca3763.50
      11-10-2020, 09:05 PM   #1163
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Not exactly supercharger related but someone should fit this to an N52. If the ports were made to line up with an adapter or something it would probably work better than the N54 manifold for NA and turbo.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 12:08 PM   #1164
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Any of you guys looking to take my 98mm pulley route? if so sure the shop could help you source the parts etc and hopefully remote tune. Just can't stop driving this thing and pretty suprised to still see 275+ miles on a tank after plenty of joy!
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      11-12-2020, 01:36 AM   #1165
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any of you guys looking to take my 98mm pulley route? if so sure the shop could help you source the parts etc and hopefully remote tune. Just can't stop driving this thing and pretty suprised to still see 275+ miles on a tank after plenty of joy!
Yesssss. I want to know the specifics for the clutch more than anything, fam. Just how they modified it and stuff! I'm going to read a little lower because I'm going to be on corn instead of 93, but I just want the ability to drive ALL the time in Texas, given the heat
      11-12-2020, 08:14 AM   #1166
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:

What Turner motorsport camber plates do you have? It looks like they raise the car a little?

Is it a 2 in 1 or do you still need stock strut mounts?
Appreciate 0