E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2010 328i Xdrive seems to skip when accelerating from a stop

03-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #1
Ajcoco12
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 XI

Exclamation 2010 328i Xdrive seems to skip when accelerating from a stop

Hey guys, so I’m in a situation currently. My car was in the shop for about a month and 1 week for maintenance. When I got it back the car ran pretty much like it’s old self. Except for one problem. When I come to a stop or very slow roll and then get on the gas again the car seems to feel like it skips and I can feel a very light vibration on the gas pedal. It does NOT happen if I make a turn more than I’d say 60 degrees. Shifts perfectly fine into higher gears and I’d even say it looks like it shifts into first perfectly fine as well. Had a bit of trouble climbing a steeper hill the other day. Accelerates fine getting on highway or any other road as well. I’m thinking it’s possibly a spark plug issue as I’m not getting any low transmission fluid warning on the dash or in the check control screen which I understand may not come up all the time. Haven’t got under the car to check it yet either. No trouble codes pop up on both of my devices. Just trying to nip this in the butt before anything else arises after a long and pricey repair. Put Techron in to clean the fuel system a few days ago, and also did the MAF sensor cleaner. Both didn’t work. I’m pretty good with working on my own car, just not so much at diagnosing problems, unless there obvious.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
A- there will never be a transmission fluid check control message of check fluid level message, there is no level sensor.

B- what kind of maintenance was performed that took over a month?

Let’s start here
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #3
Ajcoco12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyEight740 View Post
A- there will never be a transmission fluid check control message of check fluid level message, there is no level sensor.

B- what kind of maintenance was performed that took over a month?

Let’s start here
Oh really? I thought I saw it a long time ago. Must’ve been something else.

-Serpentine belt, tensioner pulley replaced.
-engine needed to be cleaned out from belt getting sucked in through front crank seal.
-Front crank seal replaced
-Vanos gears/sprockets replaced, engine retimed.
-Dropped the oil pan and cleaned it out as well as unclogged the oil pickup tube.
-Replaced VCG
-Replaced fuel rail (unrelated, they found a hole)
-Oil change and new filter
-Brought it back after a week because the intake vanos gear failed and caused a rough idle. That took up another week after three weeks of repair.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 09:41 PM   #4
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajcoco12 View Post
Oh really? I thought I saw it a long time ago. Must’ve been something else.

-Serpentine belt, tensioner pulley replaced.
-engine needed to be cleaned out from belt getting sucked in through front crank seal.
-Front crank seal replaced
-Vanos gears/sprockets replaced, engine retimed.
-Dropped the oil pan and cleaned it out as well as unclogged the oil pickup tube.
-Replaced VCG
-Replaced fuel rail (unrelated, they found a hole)
-Oil change and new filter
-Brought it back after a week because the intake vanos gear failed and caused a rough idle. That took up another week after three weeks of repair.
Well that is a lot more than just maintenance... could be your transissiob needs a servicing, could be transfer case failing, could be a coil or spark plug. With the amount of work just performs it’s possible it’s related to anything they could have touched.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2020, 01:12 PM   #5
Ajcoco12
Rep

So I took out the scanner today and did an emissions test and got Catalyst “Not Passed”. Like I said I’m not great at diagnosing problems but what I would normally do is search up Catalyst failed emissions with my car make and see what it comes up with. This instance it came up with Catalytic converter and it seems that a failing or more likely clogged Cat Con fit my symptoms exactly. Just want feedback on that. Where it seems like it’s barely even noticeable and acceleration isn’t entirely that bad would trying an unclogging method be worth it? Do you think this could possibly be it? Thanks, like I said I’m fine with working on my car but I’m working on being able to diagnose it as well. Have a nice day
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 03:37 PM   #6
Nardoninety
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335xi

I have a 335xi, had a weird skipping/hiccup sensation when accelerating. I tried vanos solenoids, spark and coils, walnut blasting etc, ended up being the transfer case was bad! Most cars will show catalyst not passed if recently the battery was unplugged/codes were cleared, so dont sweat about that
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 11:51 PM   #7
Ajcoco12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardoninety View Post
I have a 335xi, had a weird skipping/hiccup sensation when accelerating. I tried vanos solenoids, spark and coils, walnut blasting etc, ended up being the transfer case was bad! Most cars will show catalyst not passed if recently the battery was unplugged/codes were cleared, so dont sweat about that
Ahh okay, I’ll look into that this weekend. Thanks for the info. I just recently had codes cleared and battery disconnected so that’s probably it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:04 AM   #8
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

it can simply be worn out u-joint on both drive shaft.

Get under the car and see, by hands, if the drive shafts are loose.

this can be enough to feel a kick when the transfer case engage, this is why your issue is inconsistent.
Appreciate 0