E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Melting wires?!

06-15-2021, 06:23 PM   #1
Kylercram02
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335i e90

Exclamation Melting wires?!

I’m not sure what to do, a few weeks ago my car wouldn’t turn on at all. Just a click from the starter, I tore the whole intake manifold off thinking it was the starter, got it tested… negative. Wasn’t the starter, so as I was putting it all back together, the wire shown in the attached file broke off it’s connection point and it looked super corroded. So I cut wire further back, crimped it back to a new connection and electrical taped it thinking it would be fine. Car started right up and had no problems for a few days. I was driving Back home one night and car lights started flickering then just died eventually while driving from low battery. Popped hood and the wire looked like this. Also, Alternator isn’t giving any charge while car is running. battery is at 12.6v. The car battery dies after a few hours or a day of sitting. Which kinda tells me there’s a short somewhere. Now I know this wire I’m showing in the photo is connected to both the starter and alternator, so that could be a cause of the alternator not working anymore. but I’m not sure where a short circuit could be or if I should just buy a new alternator starter wire and maybe it isn’t a short circuit but perhaps just resistance causing heat
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 06:05 PM   #2
fubarian
upgrades. Upgrades, EVERYWHERE
Rep
Drives: E9X 335xi x2, E63 M6, F25

Start checking voltage to (what seems like 500) chassis grounds. I had a hell of a problem with a (sigh) ground strap on the back side of the head that I could. not. figure out. There's a couple high amp lines that run to the obvious that you've checked (starter) but also radiator draws a lot, alternator, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to check the battery in the trunk. You should see good grounds everywhere and if not, like water, ye ole electrons will find the shortest path to resistance. VIVA LA RESISTANCE!
2008 E63 ///M6
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 09:42 AM   #3
anjuna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

You could also just re-do the grounds.

ground to chassis
ground to block
ground to starter

A short wouldn't cause this damage, unless it was behind one hell of a fuse AND wasn't a direct short, but instead very very low resistance.

Even then, you wouldn't see it at just the end like that.

Usually when something is hot at JUST the end like that, it means that there is an issue with that connection point - either being loose, or having a bad connection or etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 12:03 PM   #4
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

Funny, I've got the same, exact thing on my car. I've put high temp heat shrink over that area and it always looks like it gets too hot and shrinks too much (I know there is a stop point to the shrink but it just shrinks and tears).

I'll take Anjuna's point and clean off all the contact metal to make sure there is good flow through the connection. I guess it doesn't help that this is directly over the turbo and DP.
      06-22-2021, 01:01 PM   #5
anjuna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb View Post
Funny, I've got the same, exact thing on my car. I've put high temp heat shrink over that area and it always looks like it gets too hot and shrinks too much (I know there is a stop point to the shrink but it just shrinks and tears).

I'll take Anjuna's point and clean off all the contact metal to make sure there is good flow through the connection. I guess it doesn't help that this is directly over the turbo and DP.
Now you've got me curious enough to think about the possibility of maybe going to possibly look at mine.

I kind of think of my engine bay as Schrodinger's engine bay. Everything is probably fine. Maybe not.
Appreciate 0