E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Changing Glow Plugs? Difficulty? DIY? Relative Cost?

09-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
stolympiakos
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Changing Glow Plugs? Difficulty? DIY? Relative Cost?

So, I'm needing to change these this month to get the car ready for inspection and passing. I've looked around, and some local a**hole decided they were going to atttempt to charge me over 1k for parts and labor, arguing that this is a difficult job. Now, I don't anticipate it's easy, but I'd like some guidance, either DIY help, any specialty tools needed. I went ahead and bought parts and the module (which threw a code as well),

How intensive is this work?

What can I reasonably expect to pay an indie if I have them do it for me (DFW local)?

If I didn't need to get them changed due to inspection, do I need to worry about them? I've looked about and gotten conflicting reports on the necessity.

Thanks, all!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 12:20 PM   #2
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 640D Gran Coupe

Not a difficult job. Do a search for my project thread. Controller is a bit of a bitch to unplug.... I recommend something to soak the threads in to ensure the plugs don't break on the way out. Biggest part of the job is taking off the intake manifold. Takes time the first time but now I'm an expert I can do it in less than 20 minutes 😂

Worth doing if they are throwing a code as there is some evidence to suggest they prevent DPF regeneration.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolympiakos View Post
So, I'm needing to change these this month to get the car ready for inspection and passing. I've looked around, and some local a**hole decided they were going to atttempt to charge me over 1k for parts and labor, arguing that this is a difficult job. Now, I don't anticipate it's easy, but I'd like some guidance, either DIY help, any specialty tools needed. I went ahead and bought parts and the module (which threw a code as well),

How intensive is this work?

What can I reasonably expect to pay an indie if I have them do it for me (DFW local)?

If I didn't need to get them changed due to inspection, do I need to worry about them? I've looked about and gotten conflicting reports on the necessity.

Thanks, all!
You mentioned DFW. Texas doesn't have emission check for diesels. Do you have a CEL on? I'm told even if you have a CEL, it doesn't matter in terms of passing. This is 2nd hand info though. I was a little leary when the guy told me this. I will follow up as I need to know this too. Good luck. 2nd poster is right.. Pulling intake is simple once you done it. 20-30 minutes for me as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #4
stolympiakos
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
You mentioned DFW. Texas doesn't have emission check for diesels. Do you have a CEL on? I'm told even if you have a CEL, it doesn't matter in terms of passing. This is 2nd hand info though. I was a little leary when the guy told me this. I will follow up as I need to know this too. Good luck. 2nd poster is right.. Pulling intake is simple once you done it. 20-30 minutes for me as well.

I am DFW local, and do have a CEL. I was under the impression that I couldn't get the inspection passed with a CEL in Texas. I don't have my DPF, so it doesn't affect me nearly as much, but it's something I'd need to do before the cold sets in (which gives me until January I think). If you find something out, please reply! My car hasn't had any issue without them, but I'd rather be free and clear and covered.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 05:18 PM   #5
RollingCoal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Quote:
I am DFW local, and do have a CEL. I was under the impression that I couldn't get the inspection passed with a CEL in Texas. I don't have my DPF, so it doesn't affect me nearly as much, but it's something I'd need to do before the cold sets in (which gives me until January I think). If you find something out, please reply! My car hasn't had any issue without them, but I'd rather be free and clear and covered.
Are you getting codes for all of them, just one? How about a code for the controller?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 05:25 PM   #6
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
I spoke with my local inspector. CEL doesn't matter for vehicle that is only getting safety inspection.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #7
RollingCoal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's not a horrible job...

Intake has to come off, then you have access to everything. There are a number or write ups that show removing engine cover, intake etc. You can then actually test the resistance of each glow plug to determine if they are good or bad. If under 1 ohm they are good. It's probably a 3-4 hour job if it's your first time taking the intake off. Much less if you're familiar with it.

I changed one back in April that was testing bad. Once I got it out and cleaned it up the resistance dropped below. So, I think the buildup causes some of the codes. I did not change the module, although most do. It wouldn't hurt to have intake gaskets available, but I didn't need them. They are usually good for a few removals as long as you're careful.

This is also a good time to check for CBU and deal with it if it's bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 08:48 PM   #8
stolympiakos
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingCoal View Post
Are you getting codes for all of them, just one? How about a code for the controller?
Code for all 6, plus controller. Was told it was a recall item, but in speaking with a dealer - and an indie - that they wouldn't repair at no cost. I think it's a fairly known problem that it happens...?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 09:20 PM   #9
RollingCoal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Code for all 6, plus controller. Was told it was a recall item, but in speaking with a dealer - and an indie - that they wouldn't repair at no cost. I think it's a fairly known problem that it happens...?
I'm guessing that if you're getting codes for all 6, it's most likely the module causing the issue. Nonetheless, you'll have to pull the intake and once you're there might as well change it all if you already have the parts.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #10
natefank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

I recently replaced my controller, it was a pain but that was because I didn't take off my intake, but the codes I got for it was glow plug 6 relay and one that said could not communicate with glow plug module. So I'm guessing if you have codes for all glow plugs they are probably bad
Appreciate 0