E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > some advice from you bmw know-it-alls...

08-16-2007, 11:56 AM   #23
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

lol, look at you all speculating and trying to work out why i'm stepping down

its as simple as this:

i run a web and graphic design company... when i bought the e92 i was doing all the sales as well as all the technical, but circumstances have changed and i now have a sales rep who has his own car...

the e92 is affordable, but not justifiable just to tootle 1.5 miles to the office each day, simple as peeps

i ain't gone bankrupt or 'out (in fact i do alright for myself tbh), just being sensible with my money
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 12:06 PM   #24
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
yes it probably is mate, not something he will want to admit to tho, not a nice situation for anybody really. At least he hasnt got to sell his house and get a smaller one

everyone situations are changing all the time.. my old chap lost a 5mill contract last month
Listen carlos, i aint bein funny mate, but dont get all wise about money and that its annoying...

we're a similar age, but the difference is i worked hard and put in blood sweat and tears to end up with a brand new e92...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 12:10 PM   #25
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
my old chap lost a 5mill contract last month
So when's the car going back?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 12:10 PM   #26
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiM View Post
Listen carlos, i aint bein funny mate, but dont get all wise about money and that its annoying...

we're a similar age, but the difference is i worked hard and put in blood sweat and tears to end up with a brand new e92...
in no way was i trying to offend Zim, i was actually trying to stop silver goin down the route he was

sorry chap
      08-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #27
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
So when's the car going back?
it aint buddy... he just sacking 20 people
      08-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #28
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Arrow

Quote:
in no way was i trying to offend Zim, i was actually trying to stop silver goin down the route he was

sorry chap
yeah no worries man i went a bit overboard...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 12:20 PM   #29
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Has he looked behind the sofa?
LOL.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 12:22 PM   #30
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

sorry chap
Carlos woah there, before you start trying to stop me going down a route all I mentioned, rather more subtly than when you put your big size tens in was "the financials". Which fits rather perfectly with ZiM's explanation which I wasn't looking for to be honest, I was just trying to answer the question - and if Zim was looking to get a D3 or whatever (which was mentioned!) then that would change perhaps the advice so I was trying to understand what he was trying to achieve. Financials was my way of covering that off without getting into details. To me 'financials' means does it make economic sense - could be change of prorities, kids on way, redundancy, short term financial debts etc. etc. - lots of reasons. I was attempting perhaps badly to remain subtle.

To be fair I wasn't intending to go down the route you assumed and it seems ended up taking me down, so thanks for that.

ZiM> I was actually pondering something similar last night. It occured to me that it is madness to spend 37.5k on a car that I basically use at weekends and will end up doing <5k per annum miles in. No offence meant and I certainly wasn't looking for any situational details of the kind that Carlos rather kindly took me down the route of, was just trying to understand if you were / weren't looking to do the D3 thing soon which didn't seem to stack up.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 12:33 PM   #31
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Carlos woah there, before you start trying to stop me going down a route all I mentioned, rather more subtly than when you put your big size tens in was "the financials". Which fits rather perfectly with ZiM's explanation which I wasn't looking for to be honest, I was just trying to answer the question - and if Zim was looking to get a D3 or whatever (which was mentioned!) then that would change perhaps the advice so I was trying to understand what he was trying to achieve. Financials was my way of covering that off without getting into details. To me 'financials' means does it make economic sense - could be change of prorities, kids on way, redundancy, short term financial debts etc. etc. - lots of reasons. I was attempting perhaps badly to remain subtle.

To be fair I wasn't intending to go down the route you assumed and it seems ended up taking me down, so thanks for that.

ZiM> I was actually pondering something similar last night. It occured to me that it is madness to spend 37.5k on a car that I basically use at weekends and will end up doing <5k per annum miles in. No offence meant and I certainly wasn't looking for any situational details of the kind that Carlos rather kindly took me down the route of, was just trying to understand if you were / weren't looking to do the D3 thing soon which didn't seem to stack up.
well i apologize to you aswell silver mate, i didnt mean to ''take you there''....

just when you were saying about a step down etc?!
sorry old bean

just give me a

then take me for a

Carlos
      08-16-2007, 01:12 PM   #32
roofer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D M Saloon

Not to bad a dael, but i would sell the E46 straight away, it'll be worth 12.5k in 12 months.

If you want a D3 new or used, PM me.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #33
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofer View Post
Not to bad a dael, but i would sell the E46 straight away, it'll be worth 12.5k in 12 months.
really??? jeez these thing loose money like theres no tomorrow

i had my last car for 18 months (integra type r MY2000) and sold it for about 300 quid less than i bought it for...

if bmws really are this bad at loosing $$$ i might go back to jap...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #34
roofer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The E46 is in freefall now the E90 Series is on stream, all cars lose money, the more the initial cost.....the bigger the loss.

Mines lost about 4k in 6 months......but i've enjoyed every minute......
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #35
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
really??? jeez these thing loose money like theres no tomorrow

i had my last car for 18 months (integra type r MY2000) and sold it for about 300 quid less than i bought it for...

if bmws really are this bad at loosing $$$ i might go back to jap...
what does MY2000 mean?
      08-16-2007, 02:22 PM   #36
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

model year mate, it was built in 2000

edit:

here is a pic of my old teg... might sound daft considering i now have an 40 grand bmw but this was still the best car i have ever owned

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 02:54 PM   #37
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
model year mate, it was built in 2000

edit:

here is a pic of my old teg... might sound daft considering i now have an 40 grand bmw but this was still the best car i have ever owned

i never knew the ''MY'' thing, cheeRS bud

never been a fan of jap motors, but have only heard of good things about hondas in general..

i do know where your coming from tho, modern cars including bmw, are very clinical if you know what i mean, very over engineered

it would sound funny to you mate, but maybe to others but i still want to get in MY1991 Fiesta RS Turbo and feel all that torque steer and bush blurring acceleration!!!

and that turbo chatter it made was awesome

many people said i should never drive it again as i will hate it.. but i still think it would be a laugh

Carlos
      08-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #38
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roofer View Post
The E46 is in freefall now the E90 Series is on stream, all cars lose money, the more the initial cost.....the bigger the loss.

Mines lost about 4k in 6 months......but i've enjoyed every minute......
Surely you'd be lucky to get 4k less than you paid after 6 months? Unless you sold it private and got a good discount I guess and didn't have lots of options?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #39
roofer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Surely you'd be lucky to get 4k less than you paid after 6 months?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 02:16 AM   #40
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
You are confused by my question or don't. Know the answer?

I would've thought you'd lose 4k on a well spec'd E90 the moment you drove it from the showroom nevermind after 6 months. Mine's got over 5k of options on it, I' d expect to lose much of that.

So you reckon. If you paid 37k to a dealer 6 months ago he'd offer you 33k today? I just doubt that.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 04:19 AM   #41
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
You are confused by my question or don't. Know the answer?

I would've thought you'd lose 4k on a well spec'd E90 the moment you drove it from the showroom nevermind after 6 months. Mine's got over 5k of options on it, I' d expect to lose much of that.

So you reckon. If you paid 37k to a dealer 6 months ago he'd offer you 33k today? I just doubt that.
It used to be that buying 'nearly new' was a good option and saved a major depreciation hit. This isn't the case with BMW dealers.

Nearly new BMW's are generally very overpriced compared to new ones. Generally I think this is because the pricing looks at depreciation versus the list price, but as we know you don't need to pay the list price.

At the moment you can get 15% discount on a new e90. That means that a new one is probably cheaper than a 6 month old one.

The dealer will try to fleece you on trade in anyway, but if you sell privately and started off with a good discount I think yr 1 depreciation can be pretty low.

Back to Zims positions ...

I thought about this last night and I think the big question is if he wants the 330d. I'm guessing that he wouldn't buy it a e46 330d msport if he could sell the e92 for cash.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 04:39 AM   #42
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
NFS - re: Zim's position I agree - that's what I was trying to get at with my question in terms of does he want that car or a D3 or whatever.

RE: Depreciation etc. I was going to put a new post up about this, e.g. If my car lists with options at 42k and I buy it for 37k, does that mean I should be able to sell it privately to someone who isn't aware of the discounts for almost what I paid for it as they will see me as taking a 5k hit on it?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 07:13 AM   #43
peppernick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 vert

ZiM, Roofer is right. He knows his ins-and-outs of BMW values (because he changes his cars every 4-6 months ...... ).

TBH, I wouldn't pay that for an E46, especially not a saloon. They will be worth next to nothing in a couple of years. Sat nav, TV, auto etc don't add significant value to the car, they merely make the car more attractive to buy.

If it's just a temporary gap before you buy your next motor, go with something that is depreciation proof. Do you like your driving? Or do you want a car just to get you from A-B reliably?

If the answer is the former, have a look at E36 M3 coupes. They are well bang for buck everyday performance cars. You wouldn't lose much if at all after a year or so. Plus buy a car with good enthusiast following, it's a lot easier to shift when the time comes.

If the answer is the latter. I would look into a neat E39 525/530i. They are so much car for the money. Again, depreciation is negligible and so is running cost. You often find one that is very well specced too

Just my 2 cents.
      08-17-2007, 08:34 AM   #44
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppernick View Post
ZiM, Roofer is right. He knows his ins-and-outs of BMW values (because he changes his cars every 4-6 months ...... ).

TBH, I wouldn't pay that for an E46, especially not a saloon. They will be worth next to nothing in a couple of years. Sat nav, TV, auto etc don't add significant value to the car, they merely make the car more attractive to buy.

If it's just a temporary gap before you buy your next motor, go with something that is depreciation proof. Do you like your driving? Or do you want a car just to get you from A-B reliably?

If the answer is the former, have a look at E36 M3 coupes. They are well bang for buck everyday performance cars. You wouldn't lose much if at all after a year or so. Plus buy a car with good enthusiast following, it's a lot easier to shift when the time comes.

If the answer is the latter. I would look into a neat E39 525/530i. They are so much car for the money. Again, depreciation is negligible and so is running cost. You often find one that is very well specced too

Just my 2 cents.
regarding e36 m3's i looked at two 2 years ago, when they were a little more expensive than they are now, these particular two were 9k cars...

BOTH were shockingly SHITE

cant imagine what some are like now there fetching 4k and over!!

at the time i was NOT prepared to get rid of my mint 318is coupe for a shit m3 which cost over double..

there will be the odd, low mileage example about but that deffo wont be between 4-7k

alot of e36 are rusty now also.

Carlos