E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > New XI Coilover option?

01-24-2021, 03:39 PM   #1
stelvio
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 335xi + E70 X5d

New XI Coilover option?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...029310ecs01~a/

Has anyone ordered or received these yet or know anything about:
- warranty?
- rebuildable?
- includes adjustable sway bar links?

On their site they say they're for E90 but not compatible with E91? [I have E91 xi]. I was thinking of buying them anyway but not sure if it's worth replacing my current suspension for this...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 06:08 PM   #2
335xs2dinan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi, 22 G80 M3

Nice find, page says it doesn't fit E92 but I'm not sure that makes any sense. Price is very reasonable
      01-24-2021, 06:16 PM   #3
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xs2dinan View Post
Nice find, page says it doesn't fit E92 but I'm not sure that makes any sense. Price is very reasonable
My guess is that the spring rates are chosen for the E90, maybe they'll have an extra part number for the E92 with its lighter butt, or the E91's heavier butt.

Either way, these look super similar to BCs. Not sure if it's just a representative picture, but a "true coilover" rear is generally not a good thing on cars that don't have it that way from the factory unless there's a cage installed to reinforce the shock mounting points.
Appreciate 3
Buug95917397.50
      01-25-2021, 10:22 AM   #4
Yotaismygame
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (Beam)

Wow really they gunna do us like that! I didn't realize there was a difference between the e90 and e92 suspension. This would be perfect for my brothers car and budget but he has a e92 xi
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 10:39 AM   #5
stelvio
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 335xi + E70 X5d

See, I think that because the spring rates are so much higher than OEM, they should really work on any of the E9x chassis. I know Fortune Auto does not distinguish between E90/E91/E92/E93, probably for that very reason.

I am more curious about the warranty that ECS gives and whether they're rebuildable. Not trying to have them 'expire' every 1.5 years.

Last edited by stelvio; 01-25-2021 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2021, 11:40 AM   #6
Yotaismygame
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (Beam)

Just talked with ECS and it's an error when it says does not fit a e92 awd. I agree they look like BC BR coilovers. I bet they just put in a large order from the same manufacturer

Last edited by Yotaismygame; 01-27-2021 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 03:26 PM   #7
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Just a branded Chinese coilover obviously. Nothing to write home about, but functional and an enticing price.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 03:35 PM   #8
nicked8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335i M-Sport xDrive

Will be very interested to hear a review once someone tries these guys out.

I've always been leaning in the direction of KW V1's but these are half price - maybe if they provide at least better than half the quality of the KW's I could be convinced.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2021, 04:37 PM   #9
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicked8 View Post
Will be very interested to hear a review once someone tries these guys out.

I've always been leaning in the direction of KW V1's but these are half price - maybe if they provide at least better than half the quality of the KW's I could be convinced.
I think you get what you pay for with coilovers.
I have the ST coilovers on my XI. They are the same company as KW. The internals are the same as the V1 just a different shell. Makes them slightly less expensive than the KW but still solid and German man. I have run them year round for over 5 years now.
      03-01-2021, 08:58 AM   #10
nicked8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
I have the ST coilovers on my XI. They are the same company as KW. The internals are the same as the V1 just a different shell. Makes them slightly less expensive than the KW but still solid and German man. I have run them year round for over 5 years now.
Generally, yes, I agree with this sort of thing you get what you pay for.

I've always been hesitant with the STs since we get so much road salt put down here in the Northeast and I drive the car year round. I see you're in Canada where I'm sure you get even more salt than here - the STs have held up well for you?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 09:15 AM   #11
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Generally, yes, I agree with this sort of thing you get what you pay for.

I've always been hesitant with the STs since we get so much road salt put down here in the Northeast and I drive the car year round. I see you're in Canada where I'm sure you get even more salt than here - the STs have held up well for you?
Yup they put a ton of salt down in winter here for sure. I hate it.
The coilovers have held up just fine. I'm sure there is some corrosion just on the outside body of the strut like most suspension. Doesn't effect performance at all. Last time I looked the threads were all completely fine too. Once these coilovers are shot I plan to replace not rebuild them.
I'm not sure the cost difference between ST and the V1s but any extra cost doesn't seem worth it just for an anti corrosion body.
Next round I will either do ST again or spend more for the V3 to have some adjustments...and I hear they ride nicer for daily driving.
      03-01-2021, 10:24 AM   #12
nicked8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The coilovers have held up just fine. I'm sure there is some corrosion just on the outside body of the strut like most suspension. Doesn't effect performance at all. Last time I looked the threads were all completely fine too. Once these coilovers are shot I plan to replace not rebuild them.
I'm not sure the cost difference between ST and the V1s but any extra cost doesn't seem worth it just for an anti corrosion body.
Next round I will either do ST again or spend more for the V3 to have some adjustments...and I hear they ride nicer for daily driving.
The salt drives me crazy man. The STs are very tempting - they're probably closer to $900 USD while the KWs would be around $1500. Quite the difference for just a different material in the strut body.

You mentioned daily driving the STs - do you mind quickly sharing your experience and how it felt transitioning from the stock suspension? I know there's a good amount of info out there but always good to hear other opinions.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 02:42 PM   #13
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The salt drives me crazy man. The STs are very tempting - they're probably closer to $900 USD while the KWs would be around $1500. Quite the difference for just a different material in the strut body.

You mentioned daily driving the STs - do you mind quickly sharing your experience and how it felt transitioning from the stock suspension? I know there's a good amount of info out there but always good to hear other opinions.
Exactly! Seems like a lot for just a different strut body. The threads are stainless steel or whatever and I had no problem adjust them after a few years.

The ride is firm and planted which I like. It obviously rides harder than stock due to the ride height. The xi has more weight in the front so they do ride harder compared to on a normal 335i. I find it fine for daily driving. Firmer and harsher than stock but so much more controlled. Zero body roll. Going fast over dips or uneven pavement really shows how planted it is. Plus I love how you can get the stance perfect. Works well with my 19inch staggered set up. 275 in the rear.

2 negatives I would point out is the more people or weight you have in the car, the harder it rides.
Also I find once the temps get to -20 Celsius they are a lot harder and a little bouncy. (This may be the case for most coilovers)

Other than that just the obvious, slow angled over speed bumps and dodging potholes like Crazy. When you bottom them out you will know lol
Attached Images

03-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #14
nicked8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly! Seems like a lot for just a different strut body. The threads are stainless steel or whatever and I had no problem adjust them after a few years.

The ride is firm and planted which I like. It obviously rides harder than stock due to the ride height. The xi has more weight in the front so they do ride harder compared to on a normal 335i. I find it fine for daily driving. Firmer and harsher than stock but so much more controlled. Zero body roll. Going fast over dips or uneven pavement really shows how planted it is. Plus I love how you can get the stance perfect. Works well with my 19inch staggered set up. 275 in the rear.

2 negatives I would point out is the more people or weight you have in the car, the harder it rides.
Also I find once the temps get to -20 Celsius they are a lot harder and a little bouncy. (This may be the case for most coilovers)

Other than that just the obvious, slow angled over speed bumps and dodging potholes like
Crazy. When you bottom them out you will know lol
Very much appreciate the details and love the way your car looks - super clean setup.

I've been planning for the KW's for a while now and enjoy hearing different people talk about their experiences. I also only run 18s in the summer so should have even less of a comfort sacrifice than what you described, within reason that is.

You've almost convinced me to try the STs and save some money. I'm thinking that with enough attention in the self wash bay after snowstorms it might work out fine. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:08 PM   #15
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Very much appreciate the details and love the way your car looks - super clean setup.

I've been planning for the KW's for a while now and enjoy hearing different people talk about their experiences. I also only run 18s in the summer so should have even less of a comfort sacrifice than what you described, within reason that is.

You've almost convinced me to try the STs and save some money. I'm thinking that with enough attention in the self wash bay after snowstorms it might work out fine. Thanks again!
No problem! and thanks for the kind words
You really cant go wrong with either. I always like using German made parts on a German car when going aftermarket. My winter wheels are 18'' and they are a little more comfortable on the seams in the road for sure.
Exactly what I do too, wash the car and the wells to prevent the salt the best i can.
I dont really see rebuilding Coilovers an realistic option. KW/ST wont send you the parts for a rebuild, they have to be sent there. So getting them uninstalled, shipped off, having the car down for a month and then re-installed etc seems annoying. Id rather just drive them till the fail and replace when needed.
      03-02-2021, 09:26 AM   #16
Cyril Sneer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/4/5 / E91

Quote:
I dont really see rebuilding Coilovers an realistic option. KW/ST wont send you the parts for a rebuild, they have to be sent there. So getting them uninstalled, shipped off, having the car down for a month and then re-installed etc seems annoying. Id rather just drive them till the fail and replace when needed.
My idea was to leave the old struts assembled and store them. If/when rebuild time comes, swap new for old in an evening and still have a car while they're sent away. Any reason this wouldn't work?

I'll be doing suspension at some point and really can't decide between STs and Bilstein B14 (new version). Swaying toward B14s for the lifetime warranty. But keep waffling back and forth.

I've also decided the extra $ for KWs is tough to justify.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:08 AM   #17
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril Sneer View Post
Quote:
My idea was to leave the old struts assembled and store them. If/when rebuild time comes, swap new for old in an evening and still have a car while they're sent away. Any reason this wouldn't work?

I'll be doing suspension at some point and really can't decide between STs and Bilstein B14 (new version). Swaying toward B14s for the lifetime warranty. But keep waffling back and forth.

I've also decided the extra $ for KWs is tough to justify.
Ya I think to go KW you would have to spend more and get the V3 to have the extra adjustments and performance. I also cannot justify that on a 10 year old car that I don't track. Most of us want the coil over for the stance and look. Plenty of options for that.

If you can easily swap them in and our yourself that's great. The only downside is your alignment will be very far out. Anytime the suspension is removed an alignment is needed. Some people say they can eyeball it close but it will still drive a little odd and wear tires incorrectly.
Depends on the cost to ship and rebuild them vs the cost of new as well. shipping from Canada for me would be expensive lol.
      03-02-2021, 10:54 AM   #18
Cyril Sneer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

*This is my understanding from researching, but no experience. If I'm off hopefully someone will jump in.*

The KWs and Bilsteins have lifetime warranties to original buyer. So essentially lifetime coilovers and the cost of the rebuild is covered. You cover the shipping costs.

ST warranty is 5yrs. So with KWs you're paying for the better material and better warranty. So when your STs need a rebuild outside of 5yrs, you might be better off replacing, then selling the old ones cheap.

KW and ST have to go to California. Pretty sure Bilstein do too, or somewhere US.

Also wondering if self-installation would affect the warranty, or if you'll run into issues if not professionally installed. Couldn't find anything about this in each company's warranty info though.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 01:01 PM   #19
Cyril Sneer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Got a response back from Bilstein. Said they don't cover rebuilds due to wear; only if due to manufacturing defects (unlike KW/ST - I think). Their rebuilds are done in California, BUT he said you can also potentially have them rebuilt at a local shop (unlike KW/ST - I think).

Maybe this info helps someone else. I'm still undecided.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 05:53 PM   #20
ronin_pdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m4

I got BC for sell if anyone interested
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 11:18 PM   #21
vrizzotti
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi, 1988 528e

Fortune Auto coils. 6inch 8k spring up front. Maxed out all around. Not much lower than h&r/bilstein srping/shock set up I was Running. 3 days after coil install. I’m hearing axle clicking up front. Could’ve just been the nail in the coffin and shit timing as front height changed MAYBE 1/2 inch. I have their super low shock insert and a hyper o 4in 10k spring on order as I’m trying to match the front to the rear and tuck a little more tire. As well as more height adjustability. Just worried I’ll be doing axles more often. Any input? XDelete thread, saw someone ran xDelete, removed front axles dif and drive shaft lol no issues. I’m not trying to slam it per say but definitely want the front a bit lower.

Last edited by vrizzotti; 05-15-2021 at 11:28 PM..
Appreciate 0