E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > The big day is here...N54 Single Turbo

Closed Thread

05-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #67
AYF80
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F80

Good luck man, I’m not arguing...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #68
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
GOSH! Amazing all the haters out there! STHU! and let the guy make a thread if he wants to, DAMN!
All this debate if it will fail, or will this thread ever end, or 5 weeks isnt enough time for R&D on this because I work for so and so.... blah blah blah!, OMG are you guys serious? This guys seems to know his shit, he doesnt sound like some punk kid trying to get attention, I say lets root him on!

GL with the build op!
      05-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #69
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
subscribed
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #70
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
GOSH! Amazing all the haters out there! STHU! and let the guy make a thread if he wants to, DAMN!
All this debate if it will fail, or will this thread ever end, or 5 weeks isnt enough time for R&D on this because I work for so and so.... blah blah blah!, OMG are you guys serious? This guys seems to know his shit, he doesnt sound like some punk kid trying to get attention, I say lets root him on!

GL with the build op!
Lol, who doesn't want to see him succeed? I suspect every single one of us do. The reality is we are not a bunch of cheerleaders on the forums, but we are simply being realistic. I absolutely hope this is a raving success!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #71
atlxkevinx
Never 2econd
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
subscribed
this.

GL with this project! Sounds exciting!

2007 E92 335i Coupe | Space Gray | Coral Red | Sport | Cold Weather | Navi | iDrive | Logic7
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #72
BMWCadet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 MR M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Lol, who doesn't want to see him succeed? I suspect every single one of us do. The reality is we are not a bunch of cheerleaders on the forums, but we are simply being realistic. I absolutely hope this is a raving success!
+1...no one's hating on the OP, it just that magically this has come out of nowhere after years of useless threads being created about turbo upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #73
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCadet View Post
+1...no one's hating on the OP, it just that magically this has come out of nowhere after years of useless threads being created about turbo upgrades.

I understand, but this guy didnt make this thread to get discouraged and hear everyone bash him for a (what sounds like) realistic attempt at building a st setup that will put real numbers to the ground either.
      05-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #74
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
I understand, but this guy didnt make this thread to get discouraged and hear everyone bash him for a (what sounds like) realistic attempt at building a st setup that will put real numbers to the ground either.
We are not discouraging anyone. If I said on here I have a plan that will allow me to make my BMW fly and I did a significant amount of research (5 weeks), the same thing would happen. This platform is 4 years old with only clipped wheel or CHRA upgrades. There are significant hurdles to overcome on this platform and 5 weeks of planning is just not enough. I am not saying there won't be turbo upgrades, but this is not easy.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #75
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
i think we're all just becoming weary of these threads... hope the OP doesn't take any offense. I myself am just interested in what paths these shops are taking. The ideas are all there someone just needs to experiment and I give OP and the HPF guy and anyone else who's willing to step into uncharted territory much props. I know i dont have the funds to do something like that

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #76
kennejp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

This is awesome! Finally someone is just doing it and hopefully it will be successful. I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW OUR CARS HAVE BEEN OUT FOR OVER 4 YEARS AND NO ONE HAS A GOOD TURBO UPGRADE KIT YET. I mean what are all the vendors doing. I dont know why it takes years to come up with a stage one turbo upgrade. I mean if hpf had come out with the e46 m3 kit when it was still popular and not being outdated by the e92 they would have sold a lot more. I dont understand why it takes so much time to come up with this stuff. I understand it take R&D but these companies are taking it WAY to slow and WAY to expensive. I like that someone is taking it into their own hands and going for some good power numbers-keep up the good work and good luck!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #77
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennejp View Post
This is awesome! Finally someone is just doing it and hopefully it will be successful. I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW OUR CARS HAVE BEEN OUT FOR OVER 4 YEARS AND NO ONE HAS A GOOD TURBO UPGRADE KIT YET. I mean what are all the vendors doing. I dont know why it takes years to come up with a stage one turbo upgrade. I mean if hpf had come out with the e46 m3 kit when it was still popular and not being outdated by the e92 they would have sold a lot more. I dont understand why it takes so much time to come up with this stuff. I understand it take R&D but these companies are taking it WAY to slow and WAY to expensive. I like that someone is taking it into their own hands and going for some good power numbers-keep up the good work and good luck!!!
The reason I think this is because the cost is going to be quite high for a legit turbo upgrade on this car. I think the major headaches are the DME, fueling issues with a HPFP, and a DI motor. Most of the solutions are addining EFI setups on top of the DI/HPFP setup. I think the complexity here is pretty high.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #78
zeenon53
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #79
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
The reason I think this is because the cost is going to be quite high for a legit turbo upgrade on this car. I think the major headaches are the DME, fueling issues with a HPFP, and a DI motor. Most of the solutions are addining EFI setups on top of the DI/HPFP setup. I think the complexity here is pretty high.
1. How many of us would jump on this? Not many i would suspect. The vendors are making tons of cash from cheaply made bolt ons and 20$ piggy back tunes which we are eating up at $800 a piece (not including dev and research in their $20 cost but still they have to be making at least 50% over cost on each sale.). Imagine the profits they are generating! Turbo upgrade will never be a common thing for the 335i; dev is too expensive, prod will be expensive and from a buyer perspective the cost will be too much for commonality. Most of us drive the 335i over the M3 bc of $, if we had and extra 15k laying around we would be in an m3 or potentially a GTR.

That being said this is very exciting and i am looking forward to the finished product.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #80
unfor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: stuff

Okay guys. Let me post here to give my thoughts.

The car is not at JE in attempt to make it work. It's there because JE knows it will work. JE does amazing work, and they have worked on hundreds of similar projects to mine.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/feature...upe/index.html

As far as R&D time, I'm not concerned. Companies like HPF are great. They provide kits that everyone can buy. Fabricating a completely one off kit is a different beast though. Not only do you avoid the increased time to make a jig, but you don't need to worry about ease of installation. Sure, installing a turbo may not be easy, but it is still something manufacturers are concerned about. Thats why someone 1000 miles away from HPF can go to their local shop and get the kit installed.

As far as engine management, it is not complex as most think. I will leave it at that.

The flange for the exhaust manifold will be CNCed later today or tomorrow. I will provide pictures as soon as it is complete.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #81
unfor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by medeiro View Post
1. How many of us would jump on this? Not many i would suspect. The vendors are making tons of cash from cheaply made bolt ons and 20$ piggy back tunes which we are eating up at $800 a piece (not including dev and research in their $20 cost but still they have to be making at least 50% over cost on each sale.). Imagine the profits they are generating! Turbo upgrade will never be a common thing for the 335i; dev is too expensive, prod will be expensive and from a buyer perspective the cost will be too much for commonality. Most of us drive the 335i over the M3 bc of $, if we had and extra 15k laying around we would be in an m3 or potentially a GTR.

That being said this is very exciting and i am looking forward to the finished product.
You hit the nail on the head. I look at the cost of some of these upgrades and it seemed outrageous to me. There is such a high market, and honestly, how much R&D time goes into a part such as an intercooler?

Making such a kit cuts into profit margin.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 12:47 PM   #82
NJ65
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sparkling Graphite 335i

Hi Unfor,

just wanted to say good luck with this and looking forward to your results. One question though. Since CP-E seems to also be involved with this, have they mentioned anything about the upgraded HPFP that they were working on to address your added fuel needs? I'm curious if that could have been used instead of running 6 additional injectors. Or do you know if that project is dead in the water now? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #83
BOOST3D
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 328i 2000,X5 2003,2008 335i

good luck OP, this sounds promising keep us updated
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #84
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Good luck !

May you get 600 WHP on pump gas and forever silence all the haters!

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #85
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

I have to agree with everyone talking about costs. It seems like there are very few options that yield a high hp per dollar ratio. So, I guess, as long as st kits can at least keep a hp/$ ratio around that of the tunes out there now, I don't see why they wouldn't sell well. It's all about getting a good deal for your money. That's what has been keeping me from buying any performance goodies so far.

To the OP...best of luck and can't wait to see what happens here!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #86
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

cp-e has that pro fuel controller so they can just run their engine management to control the car and keep the ecu happy and the pro fuel controller will drive the secondary injectors. it seems like one complete tuning system instead of having to get things to work together.

this thing http://www.cp-e.com/2135.html?open=10
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #87
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
It's sad because the first thing that comes to mind is that this is going to be the start of a very long thread with no end in sight. I'm thinking this way because the other turbo threads have gone that way.
Hopefully this won't be another one of those.
just what I was thinking, hopefully this is not the case.. very exciting, subscribed

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #88
bimmerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

OP I wish u luck and success, as an enthusiast I really really really want this to work!

IDK if you are new to the forums, but the reason many of us aren't convinced is because this has happened many times before... someone jumps the gun and posts about a new turbo upgrade, time goes by, and nothing happens.... However things have started to change recently, so who knows.. The point is people are reacting based on previous instances, and rightfully so, as many vendors have posted crap about turbo upgrades and then suddenly vanish into thin air

Maybe it would help if you posted some pictures?
Closed Thread