E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HorsepowerFreaks HPF out of business?!?!?!?!

05-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #89
Sigma 3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A few things

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF 335i #1 View Post
How would you suggest going about asking and or receiving help?

I wish i had someone who could go pick up my car and take it to shiv...

Wedge?
https://www.uship.com/quotes/view.as...09ea295&view=0

Count me in on helping you get the car home. Im sure there are are enough of us on here willing to help with shipping to kansas after Shiv can get it sorted out. I didnt check prices on shipping from portland to the bay but thats easy enough to find out. If need be I can help with that too.

Im having a hard time wrapping my brain around how this happened. Not the stealing part but the rest of it. One has to wonder If the money was was stolen in 2010, or 2011 Why is the backlash only now affecting them.
Im thinking about the cash out lay after the theft and it was buisness as usual. Particularly the carbon fiber hood. The molds to make that could not have been Cheap. thats what I dont get. But I hope it works out for all involved.
      05-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #90
AYF80
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
+1
I'd be happy to pitch in a few bucks myself. HPF has known this day was coming for a LONG time and the fact they just kept screwing you makes me sick.
Guys it looks like i will need between 600-800 to get it to Shiv, and about 12-1400 to get it to Kansas after. Who knows how much ill have to pay to get the car fixed in the mean time. There is so much they didnt do... i also had a lump of money (4,000) sitting in their Pay Pal account to pay for small mods i was getting done on the side... All of which is now gone.

I never planed on shipping the car, that stuff was always covered. So i have zero cash for this situation.

Any help is VERY welcome...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #91
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
You have 60 days to protest a charge (my card does) so I'd also try flag it just in case. All it means is they investigate the charge, and if it is clear you never received anything they don;t make you pay. You'll get a credit on your card eventually.
Just so you guys know this does cost the business money when a chargeback is taken place, regardless of fault. If the chargeback was filed prematurely or fraudulently they can push the charges, fees, and interest to collections agencies and it will go against your credit score.

I'm all for people peoples protection as a consumer too. I understand how it is as a consumer, I buy stuff online too.

If you use paypal you can open up a dispute which does not cost the seller money and simply opens up a communication line for answers if the seller is not answering emails/phone.

If that still doesnt work at that point you can escalate it to a claim/chargeback

Make sure you do your due diligence and try to communicate with the seller before filing charge backs and disputes. I would hope my customers are respectful enough to let me solve any issue before doing that.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #92
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Just so you guys know this does cost the business money when a chargeback is taken place, regardless of fault. If the chargeback was filed prematurely or fraudulently they can push the charges, fees, and interest to collections agencies and it will go against your credit score.

I'm all for people peoples protection as a consumer too. I understand how it is as a consumer, I buy stuff online too.

Make sure you do your due diligence and try to communicate with the seller before filing charge backs and disputes. I would hope my customers are respectful enough to let me solve the issue before doing that.
I think we're beyond that now. Business is gone and all employees let go.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #93
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
If you paid by credit card or paypal get on the phone and block the charge. There are all kinds of protection against fraud available, it is part of the fees they charge. My Visa card for example, someone does not ship or misrepresents, I can block it and I do not have to pay and merchant does not get paid until issue is revolved one way or another. If they merchant was acting in bad faith I do not pay ever.

edit: you can at least flag it so if it does show up you're good but if it doesn't you are covered.
If anyone paid by CC I wouldnt worry about your orders since you can just dispute the charge for goods never received unless you placed it like 6 months and havent received it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #94
Sigma 3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A few things

Quote:
Guys it looks like i will need between 600-800 to get it to Shiv, and about 12-1400 to get it to Kansas after. Who knows how much ill have to pay to get the car fixed in the mean time. There is so much they didnt do... i also had a lump of money (4,000) sitting in their Pay Pal account to pay for small mods i was getting done on the side... All of which is now gone.

I never planed on shipping the car, that stuff was always covered. So i have zero cash for this situation.

Check the link in my post. you get multiple quotes at once on that sight.
      05-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #95
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
If anyone paid by CC I wouldnt worry about your orders since you can just dispute the charge for goods never received unless you placed it like 6 months and havent received it.
Correct, you have something like 60 days to dispute. Varies from card to card. Point is people with outstanding orders or who have sent in big deposits are worried, they do have some protection if they used card.

And frankly if the business is BK the card company will appreciate not sending money into a black hole.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #96
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
I think we're beyond that now. Business is gone and all employees let go.
I was speaking in general for future purchases, that's all.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #97
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I was speaking in general for future purchases, that's all.
OK, got it.

I was letting people know they do have some protection here, it was something I only found out about accidentally after a long drawn out situation with a shady online vendor (not BMW related). Had I known about it prior, the situation would not have been as stressful.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #98
ttribe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS15 View Post
Man this is such a shame. Cant stand greedy people ruining it for guys that work really hard in any field not just automotive.

Pretty hard to believe someone just stole $200k and it went unnoticed though.
I work as an expert witness and investigator on fraud issues and the described pattern is actually in-line with observed trends. The median occupational theft in 2011 was about $140,000 and the median length of time the fraud went undetected is approximately 18 months.

The "insurance only covered $25k" thing is also quite common. Most businesses don't buy anything more than than the minimum (which is usually $10k). I investigated a case where a family-owned truck stop in the middle of nowhere Arizona discovered two employees stealing using the Western Union system. The two employees stole approx. $300k and almost put the place out of business. The business had only purchased $10k of insurance coverage. Very sad situation.
      05-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #99
AYF80
Major
Rep

Just talked to Shiv's Team,

They are setting up a transport for me right now and will let me know the pick up time and date in a short while. Once i know that, ill call HPF back and sync the pick up time.

Im already -$800
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #100
The Ghost
Reborn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Pray this all works out for me, this is the only car I own and I’ll be home in less than 3 weeks.
Never mod (especially HEAVILY mod) your only car. I learned this many years ago. Much less stress and doesn't force you to make rash decisions.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #101
Morgiea4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 335is, 2011 335D

Quote:

They are setting up a transport for me right now and will let me know the pick up time and date in a short while. Once i know that, ill call HPF back and sync the pick up time.

Im already -$800
I know that you have been wanting to get your car done for a real long time now and I hate to say it, but you may want to consider just taking the kit off and going back to stock. If funds are an issue at this point, this project is not one that is going stop requiring money to make it run right and keep it running right. Sometimes it's just better to just cut your losses and stop the bleeding.
      05-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #102
JMARS
Not Baned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Single-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgiea4 View Post
I know that you have been wanting to get your car done for a real long time now and I hate to say it, but you may want to consider just taking the kit off and going back to stock. If funds are an issue at this point, this project is not one that is going stop requiring money to make it run right and keep it running right. Sometimes it's just better to just cut your losses and stop the bleeding.
From what I understand the car is running right? I think the only thing he's missing is a Tune Solution.
I'm sure that Shiv will take care of him
      05-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #103
AYF80
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgiea4 View Post
I agree... however, I dont have stock parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #104
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Set up or post your PayPal so we can gift it to you(probably better to set up a new account just for this to help prevent any potential scammers.) Just from looking around the forums it looks like a lot of people was fucked by Chris in the last couple days.... Fucking asshole.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #105
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF 335i #1

Im already -$800
Setup a kickstarter account or aomething similar so we can allmake donations to start helping cover some cost. Kickstarter only disburses money if the entire "goal" amount is met. So, may not be the best option, but something similar with definite payout of whatever amount is donated and still shows total donated and amount needed would be awesome or us to use to help you out!

And to those americans onhere that don't want to throw in at least $1...you should be ashamed o yourselves. It's the least we can do for a serviceman and fellow enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #106
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
I agree... however, I dont have stock parts.
I'm happy to help pitch in for shipping your car back to KS. I'm quite certain there are numerous others here who feel the same way.
Quote:
Set up or post your PayPal so we can gift it to you(probably better to set up a new account just for this to help prevent any potential scammers.) Just from looking around the forums it looks like a lot of people was fucked by Chris in the last couple days.... Fucking asshole.
This.

OP le know as you get more logistical information, but the best solution is probably a simple paypal transfer to cover some of the costs.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #107
AYF80
Major
Rep

Quote:
Guys, Its just that right now is not a good time for me, I was NOT expecting this... I cant even pay FFTEC to pick up my car. I was hoping i could pay later.

If you WANT to help me, I will be forever thankfull!

Applespeed@live.com

That is my Pay Pal account email...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #108
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Guys, Its just that right now is not a good time for me, I was NOT expecting this... I cant even pay FFTEC to pick up my car. I was hoping i could pay later.

If you WANT to help me, I will be forever thankfull!

Applespeed@live.com

That is my Pay Pal account email...
You'll be receiving my contribution some time tonight when I get home. You got pinched in a truly unfair situation, so let's try to rectify it best as possible. In the short term, at least Wedge/Shiv/FFTEC are being extremely helpful

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #109
deadmn1337
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435i

I know a group im involved in that was having legal problems took donations for it through WePay. Might be worth looking into if you want a donation service otherwise just have people send money to a paypal account setup just for shipping the car and what not.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #110
AYF80
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmn1337 View Post
I know a group im involved in that was having legal problems took donations for it through WePay. Might be worth looking into if you want a donation service otherwise just have people send money to a paypal account setup just for shipping the car and what not.
I never thought i would get this kind of help.

Applespeed@live.com is my Pal Pal account.
Appreciate 0