Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > E90 Spare Tire

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-06-2021, 06:57 PM   #1
rjc03001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

E90 Spare Tire

Hi, 2006 330xi here. I have read many posts regarding suitable spare tire methods to keep on the trunk and I am now more confused than before I started reading. I can either:

1. Buy an extra full size rim and mount a tire to it (my initial thought was to do this).

Important question: Are the rims on this car different sizes for the front and back and for the spare would it even matter? What size rims are compatible?

2. There is a spare kit that I believe is made for a 5 series that would fit. What is the exact part number to get if I were to go this route?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 09:49 AM   #2
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Two routes you can go with as a spare: full-size spare or space-saver spare.

A full-size spare would be an identical wheel and tire to what is mounted on the car. If you have a staggered setup(wider wheels in the back), you would want the full-size spare to be a front wheel.(18x8 instead of 18x8.5, for example) That way it will easily mount in the front or rear without issue. I don't believe any E90 came with a full-size spare, so it will take up a considerable amount of space in the trunk.

A space-saver spare(donut spare) is the small, narrow steel wheel that is much more compact to store under the trunk. This would have been the spare they provided when new in select models, or in the kit your are talking about. This tire will be speed and range limited due to it's small size. Call your local dealer's part department, and give them your car's VIN number and they will be able to give you the part number from the space-saver kit for the 330i.

Honestly, I've never ran with run-flats or with a spare, unless I go on a seriously long drive through the middle of nowhere. Then maybe I'll throw a full-size spare in the trunk just in case. But with you living up in the east coast with everything so much closer, I would just invest in a AAA membership. At most, a AAA membership and the space-saver kit. A lot less hassle.
      08-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #3
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i XDrive

Garage List
I went with the full spare tire and used a tie-down strape to lift it up so the trunk space and the hidden compartment underneath is useable. It needs to be a tad tighter but works well, check it out.

PS - use a wheel choke wedge to hold it up so you can tighten the strap.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      09-24-2021, 03:42 AM   #4
LoveSauceE90
Spread the love.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi sedan

"modern spare"

they make new spare tires now more similar to wheels than donuts. they're specifically for whichever model are can be driven up to 80mph I believe. $350-400 on Amazon with everything included and a sweet tote. hope this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0