E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > ~DIY: $130 Rear View Camera with OEM integration (vendors will hate me)~

01-12-2015, 10:56 PM   #111
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy View Post
This happened to my customer and it ended up being the camera wasn't getting power. He then hooked it up directly to the battery to test and whammo! It worked. Give that a shot first... However as previously posted above, probably not a good idea to have the camera constantly drawing power.
Did that for test purposes and still didn't work.
      01-13-2015, 07:04 PM   #112
zd1818
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTN View Post
Man that sucks! I'm considering buy a retrofit kit now from Bimmer-tech at least I know for sure it will work.

Wonder why its not working? just doesn't make sense, since we have both followed the instructions
for the cam power, you need to ground the black wire at the back and extend the positive to front, connect with the white cable on the module, and also extend the rca male cable to the front right behind the cic unit. have all the cable connected on the module ie. +, - , can l, can h, rca cam cable + and - to cic pin 21 (+) and 24 (-) OR 18(+) 28(-)

just google it and you will find the right connect pin.

and the rest you need to do is add vo, do coding parts. it should work, from what I can remember, the most difficult part is extend the cable as our car does not have fold down seat at the back, we took everything apart and it was reaaly a pain.

was using override solution but was not perfect.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #113
HardCoal99
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTN
Yes, my PDC is still working after coding. And the screen still pops up in Reverse gear.

But where I am suppose to see the reverse camera on the CIC, its just blank/black. So I just assumed there was no power on the camera. I'm 100% sure I gave it a power, which I used a few +/- power sources (battery, 12v socket rear and front)

I even tried to source the power else where with the RCA cable that was suppose to be inserted in 21 and 24 pins. As I thought maybe the pins weren't connected/touching. You can't really tell.

Still no luck! biggest PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by grzes View Post
Is your PDC still working after the coding?? does the screen pops up while in reverse??

I can't tell makes me sad as I was really looking having this work. I am going to take a step back, I will disconnect the emulator leaving the wires in place, then I will try and clear the error codes and see if all get cleared. Then I will double check all the connections and check if the camera works on its own if it gets power (which i believe it does but I did not check that with the tool as it is simple connection). If I confirm all the cables are good and connected properly then all I can say is the emulator that is not doing its work. I do worry about coding as well since my PDC is not opening its own screen when in reverse but it detects obstacles lol. Oh, and I will make sure those wires are twisted again as mentioned by Princelybug and Kevin, but to be honest I don't think it has anything to do with magnetic as they are isolated but will give it a try.
Did you test the RCA jack? Plugging it into another source like a DVD player should take an issue with power or the camera itself off the table. You should see video from your DVD player show up on your CIC if you put it in reverse.

One other thing to check - there is a splice in the camera cable under the insulation somewhat near the camera side (guessing about 8 feet from the camera). You can feel the splice as a bump or void in the insulation. I think it is near the white loop you can cut to enable the parking lines. If you pulled on that part of the cable too hard while fishing it in your truck, you can definitely break the splice and never see the break under the cable. If you do the test above and video works, check this for the problem.
2009 335xi Le Mans Blue; JB4 - Map 5; flashed, VSRF DPs, VSRF Intercooler, transmission flash, VSRF chargepipe, LED interior, Angel Eyes, Glossy Black Grill, spolier, Rear Fog Light Mod, backup camera mod, 2020 Nav. Maps;
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2015, 12:26 PM   #114
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

thanks for the info, I will for sure do some testing this weekend and definitely will try all what you said here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCoal99 View Post
Did you test the RCA jack? Plugging it into another source like a DVD player should take an issue with power or the camera itself off the table. You should see video from your DVD player show up on your CIC if you put it in reverse.

One other thing to check - there is a splice in the camera cable under the insulation somewhat near the camera side (guessing about 8 feet from the camera). You can feel the splice as a bump or void in the insulation. I think it is near the white loop you can cut to enable the parking lines. If you pulled on that part of the cable too hard while fishing it in your truck, you can definitely break the splice and never see the break under the cable. If you do the test above and video works, check this for the problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 05:49 AM   #115
bluposeidon
Rep
Drives: F31 lci 320d

hi
I have a strange problem with MACRO_L6_PARKMENU.
when is aktiv Nothing appears on the CIC and I feel only the sound

When it's in inaktiv, the pictures come again in CIC, and in the right new orientation (vertical)(but with two car) but i haven't the video.
I have original retrofit rear pdc .
Excuse me for my bad english.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 07:25 AM   #116
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325I LCI E92

Same issue. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #117
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluposeidon View Post
hi

When it's in inaktiv, the pictures come again in CIC, and in the right new orientation (vertical)(but with two car) but i haven't the video.
Sounds like your camera is not getting power.
      01-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #118
bluposeidon
Rep

Ok but Should pass the same menu with parking the car, it remains in the main menu.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #119
bluposeidon
Rep

Please, someone can put his trc file after encoding? Maybe I have to disable some option that conflicts with the parkmenu
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 07:08 PM   #120
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

can someone draw the full wire diagram for this? Still seems a bit confusing.
      01-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #121
11LMBiSTT
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A to B.

Anyone in So Cal that has already tackled this install successfully? If so, I would like to pay for your help installing this in my e92 LCI with CIC and PDC. Lmk. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 04:50 AM   #122
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325I LCI E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluposeidon View Post
hi

Im having the same issue, are you using an emulator? Havr you sorted it?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 05:01 AM   #123
bluposeidon
Rep

http://h5.m.taobao.com/awp/core/deta...78714#fulldesc

This website is Chinese but is very useful for connections and coding, on page 2 cic e90 encoded to do, Emulator is equal to our. Use google translate better with a pc.
*I mounted the cam on the machine and connected av cable in an external video,works. I have only the problem when active macro_L6_ parkmenu

Last edited by bluposeidon; 01-18-2015 at 05:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 07:01 AM   #124
bluposeidon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajandrifter View Post
Im having the same issue, are you using an emulator? Havr you sorted it?
Wert 21 pin 18/28
Whitout emulator cic dont go only nbt is ready to rear camera
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 06:08 PM   #125
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

well I just did some testing and it turns out that I do not get the power on the white cable that comes out of the emulator, does that mean that the emulator is not performing as it should?? can someone help please
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #126
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

So, someone asked for the wiring diagram, here is what I came up with by using all the information from the OP, the emulator supplier and that Chinese web site that someone listed above. Please note, I did wire my system that way using pin 24 and 21 and my system is not working, I did not test pin 18 and 28 yet. I do have a problem as my white wire is not supplying the power to the camera. So use it at your own risk and if someone sees something incorrect please let me know and I will fix the diagram.

UPDATE: original attachment removed and replaced with the latest version March/2015
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Camera wiring diagram Model_Rev1C.pdf (103.8 KB, 1306 views)

Last edited by grzes; 03-03-2015 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-19-2015, 09:15 PM   #127
HardCoal99
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by grzes
So, someone asked for the wiring diagram, here is what I came up with by using all the information from the OP, the emulator supplier and that Chinese web site that someone listed above. Please note, I did wire my system that way using pin 24 and 21 and my system is not working, I did not test pin 18 and 28 yet. I do have a problem as my white wire is not supplying the power to the camera. So use it at your own risk and if someone sees something incorrect please let me know and I will fix the diagram.
Diagram is correct.

Is your white wire hot when car is set in reverse? It's only supposed to be hot when in reverse.

If it isn't hot, your CANBUS wires are not connected correctly. The emulator sees the message from the car that it is in reverse and sets the white wire power. The camera pins aren't your issue right now.
2009 335xi Le Mans Blue; JB4 - Map 5; flashed, VSRF DPs, VSRF Intercooler, transmission flash, VSRF chargepipe, LED interior, Angel Eyes, Glossy Black Grill, spolier, Rear Fog Light Mod, backup camera mod, 2020 Nav. Maps;
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #128
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

I do not get any power at the white wire when in reverse and my wires are connected as per diagram, I have check and double check the order and pins.
But just a quick update, the seller of the emulator just wrote me some e-mail where he says that if white can not be used then the camera should be powered from the reverse light. Has anyone try that? powering the camera from the outside source other than the white cable and did that solve the issues??

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCoal99 View Post
Diagram is correct.

Is your white wire hot when car is set in reverse? It's only supposed to be hot when in reverse.

If it isn't hot, your CANBUS wires are not connected correctly. The emulator sees the message from the car that it is in reverse and sets the white wire power. The camera pins aren't your issue right now.

Last edited by grzes; 01-20-2015 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #129
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

maybe a dumb question but what does the emulator actually do? Is it just negotiating when the car is in reverse and switching input to screen?

Is there a way to directly wire camera to the screen and select input from a source rather than triggering on reverse? (ideally where you dont need an emulator via another video in set of wires?)
      01-20-2015, 10:28 PM   #130
jrdnlc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Any solution for those that have a retrofited CIC? Maybe an updated module?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #131
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320D M Sport

There's another thread I've been reading through that might be of use to those struggling at the moment, you may have already seen it though

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1#post17152131
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #132
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

I have been talking to the seller of the emulator and one thing he told me is that if white is not getting power from the emulator then use power from the reverse light. Also he send me some coding lines that are little different from what OP posted. I don't have the ability to test as I don't have the software and the guy who does my coding I see him once every couple of weeks so maybe someone can test it and let us know. Below is what he wrote to me:
-------------------------------------------------
3. Coding
Computer Configuration: Configure 3AG coding computer module (FA = VO =
configuration)
Configure 3AG code CIC and PDC , and modify following items:
MACRO_L6_PARKMENU
aktiv
MACRO_PDC
aktiv
MACRO_PDC_TOPVIEW
aktiv
TVC_WIDTH_0C