E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > B+ Cable and fusebox fault (complete loss of electrical power)

03-26-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
Mboon
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

B+ Cable and fusebox fault (complete loss of electrical power)

Hi all,

Has anyone had the fault which kills all electrical power randomly?

It was a massive recall. In America and I have seen the odd post by other E90 owners too.

I am interested to hear your thoughts and how you resolved the issue and if BMW did this free of charge for you?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 01:23 AM   #2
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

My wife's 328i was recalled, I dropped it off, they replaced the cable, scratched the door trim, gave the car back. I complained about the trim, they denied the trim, I kept complaining, received new trim and all is well.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
Mboon
Private
Rep

Mine has been in and still in. Waiting for BMW UK to make a decision on if they cover costs or not
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
Vishnu
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

I had this issue.
Full loss of power. Took them awhile to get the car in.. They tried to charge me a diagnosis fee and I refused to pay. I told them the car didn't start because of a recall.
They quickly changed the receipt
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 02:27 AM   #5
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

There is a post circulating on FB showing that there is a recall for the cable.

So if your dealer is not aware of it, ring bmw UK or check dvla website for recalls.
      05-29-2017, 05:57 AM   #6
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Just seen this and am on the hoof so gotta be quick, but we've done quite a few of these over the past 8-10 months, first heard of the issue a fair while back but never had a vehicle in with the issue then all of the sudden in they came one after the other same issue same fix. From memory I've got around 10 knackered fuse boxes. If you look carefully at the cable terminal yo the fuse box you'll notice signs of arcing/burning on the terminal, best guess is as this is a sealed unit internally it takes it shorts the various components but as you cannot see anything I'm not sure just know it creates havoc when the fault occurs. Might see if out of interest one could be broken apart for a look.

But re what goes on you're replacing the cable connector (which has been modified and needs to be of course crimped) to the fuse box and on mote than several occassions the junction box has has to be replaced aswell
      05-29-2017, 06:29 AM   #7
Mboon
Private
Rep

I had to pay to get mine sorted. BMW UK didn't want to know. If your vin does not fall under the recall then they will just charge you to fix it.

Terrible stuff from BMW again. Starting to look elsewhere for my next car now. Far too many silly issues with the whole range of cars
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #8
oli3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

There is a current recall happening in the UK on this, I found out recently. Maybe worth calling a dealer with your VIN to ask.

My car had this same issue and actually left me stranded for half an hour in Belgium once when it cut out on the motorway. Wiggled the cable like a mofo and made it back.

Actually got round to fixing it with my old man, ex-mechanic, we took out the glove box, took out the fuse box which was quite difficult and what had happened was the b+ cable connector had melted and the metal prongs were not making good contact with the fuse box.

To sort it we chipped off some of the melted plastic and closed the metal progs to make a tight connection. Car's been 100% going on more than 6 months now not a single cut out.

Of course your cable may be in a different condition, but it may just be that the prongs need closing tight.

Just remembered there is a guy in Southampton that does this fix from bimmerforums I can send you his number if you want.
Appreciate 0