E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > What the hell is this noise?! (Video within)

05-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #1
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

What the hell is this noise?! (Video within)

I was driving this weekend and coming off a roundabout there was a slight noise coming from what sounded like just behind the dashboard - it wasn't loud but I always notice every out of the ordinary noise!

About a mile later when I was going into a multistory there was this horrible sound so drove straight to my indy who got it up on a ramp - he checked all the suspension/springs front and back and aside from a bit of play in the bush said that it was fine - they also couldn't recreate.

The service is due next month so it's all booked in for that and it's MOT but it's just done it again and it is that severe sounding (to me) that I don't want to drive it and as we speak I am considering calling out AA/BMW (I have extended warranty)

Any ideas whatsoever based on the information above and the seeing over it has already had? I can't feel it through the steering wheel but it is obviously aggravated by movement side to side and as per the start of this woeful tale, it sounds like it is originating from behind the dashboard if that makes sense?!

Offending noise/video here

What to do next?

Last edited by jimpom23; 05-29-2017 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 10:48 AM   #2
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
If you have BMW warranty then whatever it is should be covered but if they can't replicate the noise it may be that they just end up replacing parts until it gets sorted.

I had a creaking/clicking kinda noise at slow speed manoeuvring, as I don't have bmw warranty I took a educated guess & replaced front top mounts & that sorted it.
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
If you have BMW warranty then whatever it is should be covered but if they can't replicate the noise it may be that they just end up replacing parts until it gets sorted.

I had a creaking/clicking kinda noise at slow speed manoeuvring, as I don't have bmw warranty I took a educated guess & replaced front top mounts & that sorted it.
Cheers Chappers - yes, hopefully it should be sorted under warranty, I'm not sure I'd feel too safe using the car in the meantime, though...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 10:58 AM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Something fouling in the steering column or rack?
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Something fouling in the steering column or rack?
Could well be, been googling for a while and steering rack seems to be a relatively popular issue with these kind of symptoms

I'll get it booked in for repair in advance of service that's scheduled for mid June as I'm not happy that it's entirely safe to drive until then 😞
Appreciate 0