E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > DIY Wireless Charger

12-04-2021, 09:54 PM   #1
banff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW

DIY Wireless Charger

I decided to make my own wireless charger for my e90. There is one or two on the market, but I did not like the fact that it faced the wrong way. also $$$. With that in mind my goals were to make one that orients the phone facing the driver and to do it affordably.

I had a knockoff MagSafe charger laying around so I choose that as my base, the design would work fine with a real one too, just need to use a spacer or glue to hold it in.

I had initially designed it to take up the entire tray but realized that was wasting space that I could otherwise throw my airpods or coins into. I ended up with this wedge, and while not as OEM looking as the full tray design its a lot more practical. after several test prints, I printed in ABS for maximum temperature resistance and wrapped it in some black vinyl fabric I had laying around. The power is run down and through the center console to the under dash outlet. I didn't even need to drill a hole, the tray already has one under the rubber.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 02:00 PM   #2
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport

Garage List
Nice. I ended up routing a MagSafe charger into my center armrest, as I don't want the phone to be visible when driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
starfox5194
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

This is cool. Would you be willing to upload the files so others can 3d print one?
Appreciate 1
jmb8511.50