E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > 'Premium Diesel Fuels' - Hah

04-07-2009, 12:56 AM   #1
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Thumbs down 'Premium Diesel Fuels' - Hah

So after the thread on premium fuels the other day, thought I would give V Power diesel a go....

.....nothing, no change to MPG or performance or refinement. As with my old Scooby, you often needed two tanks before you see a bnefit, so filled up again....

.....nothing, no change to MPG or performance or refinement.

Is this stuff the biggest rip-off out there?
      04-07-2009, 02:37 AM   #2
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
We've debated this before and there are other threads on this somewhere.

I half agree with you in as far as when I had my E90 330i and put V power in, I noticed very little difference in performance and marginal mpg improvement so used the bog standard stuff. The 335d I never even bothered with anything other than standard diesel, even post re-map.

Cayman and this Porka - different story all together. Use standard unleaded in the Cayman and the difference was noticeable. Wouldn't even consider using anything other than V power in this one as is recommended anyhow.

Whether the use of the 'super stuff' is more noticeable in petrol engines rather than diesels, I don't know. Maybe the diesel ones have more cleaning/lubricating properties? Also not sure whether it depends on how high a state of tune your engine is in tbh.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 03:09 AM   #3
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

I get a company fuel card so it makes no diff to me which I use - I would say I go a few tanks with each and then back again in my 335D purely depending on whats available...

So far, I cant honestly say I have noticed any difference whatsoever - but my average fuel economy over a few tanks of regular is 32.1 and my average over a few tanks of super is a little higher, literally... 32.4...

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 03:47 AM   #4
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
We've debated this before and there are other threads on this somewhere.

I half agree with you in as far as when I had my E90 330i and put V power in, I noticed very little difference in performance and marginal mpg improvement so used the bog standard stuff. The 335d I never even bothered with anything other than standard diesel, even post re-map.

Cayman and this Porka - different story all together. Use standard unleaded in the Cayman and the difference was noticeable. Wouldn't even consider using anything other than V power in this one as is recommended anyhow.

Whether the use of the 'super stuff' is more noticeable in petrol engines rather than diesels, I don't know. Maybe the diesel ones have more cleaning/lubricating properties? Also not sure whether it depends on how high a state of tune your engine is in tbh.

helen i dont think there is that much of a difference. Even if you get a 2.5 % powergain i dont think its REALLY noticable.

I use v power every four takns to help keep it clean inside, not for the power.

However if im doing a trackday i cant help but puttig Vpower in LOL........just in case
      04-07-2009, 03:52 AM   #5
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
From my personal experience it's so no much the premium v standard diesel that makes any difference, more the supplier or batch (with supermarket price cut fuel).

I tend to use Total or Shell because I find my 330d engine runs smoother than with say BP or Tesco's / Morrisons / Asda's finest

My D has been slurping Total Excillum for past 2 months and economy has picked up but by about 1MPG at best. No noticeable performance increase at all over standard Total diesel though.

I wonder if the difference is more noticeable on an older car with greater engine wear etc?

Last edited by PhilR; 04-07-2009 at 03:52 AM.. Reason: splleing
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 03:56 AM   #6
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
helen i dont think there is that much of a difference. Even if you get a 2.5 % powergain i dont think its REALLY noticable.

However if im doing a trackday i cant help but puttig Vpower in LOL........just in case
I agree Steve and that's what I was 'getting at'. But in the Cayman using 95 RON the engine was noticeably less responsive and in the Turbo the fuel filler cap clearly states 98 RON first as does the manual, also the dealer advised me always to use super unleaded as the engine will 'pink' apparently. When you think about it though these are 3.4 litre & 3.6 litre engines respectively in a reasonably high state of tune unlike yours being a V10?

I'm certainly collecting lots of points on the V power card though.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
Zk1
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I've used so much vpower that shell should give me a petrol station
to redeem points against. If i had a denzil bmw i'd use the finest premium fuel
just my 2pence
      04-07-2009, 06:36 AM   #8
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
I only ever use the best fuel possible (V Power is my preference) for the M
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I only ever used BP ultimate from new. But then end of 2007 the fuel went up quitr a bit, ran on tesco ''special'' and the car felt flat as a pancake after.

So after that one month i ran BP ultimate again untill about a month ago and only V power ever since.
      04-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I agree Steve and that's what I was 'getting at'. But in the Cayman using 95 RON the engine was noticeably less responsive and in the Turbo the fuel filler cap clearly states 98 RON first as does the manual, also the dealer advised me always to use super unleaded as the engine will 'pink' apparently. When you think about it though these are 3.4 litre & 3.6 litre engines respectively in a reasonably high state of tune unlike yours being a V10?

I'm certainly collecting lots of points on the V power card though.
I understand the need for premium undleaded, and as you say some petrol engines are tuned for 98 RONfrom the factory (I am sure a Porker would not pink though, rather just retard the timing and loose power)

My point though is diesels engines are not recommened to run on higher Cetene(?) fuel like petrols are on higher RON

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I only ever used BP ultimate from new. But then end of 2007 the fuel went up quitr a bit, ran on tesco ''special'' and the car felt flat as a pancake after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
From my personal experience it's so no much the premium v standard diesel that makes any difference, more the supplier or batch (with supermarket price cut fuel).

I tend to use Total or Shell because I find my 330d engine runs smoother than with say BP or Tesco's / Morrisons / Asda's finest
Good points - the last two tanks for the 5 series have been on Shell standard and it does seem to be quieter and getting better mpg than Tesco. So much so I am going to keep with Shell standard from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
I get a company fuel card so it makes no diff to me which I use - I would say I go a few tanks with each and then back again in my 335D purely depending on whats available...

So far, I cant honestly say I have noticed any difference whatsoever - but my average fuel economy over a few tanks of regular is 32.1 and my average over a few tanks of super is a little higher, literally... 32.4...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
My D has been slurping Total Excillum for past 2 months and economy has picked up but by about 1MPG at best. No noticeable performance increase at all over standard Total diesel though.

I wonder if the difference is more noticeable on an older car with greater engine wear etc?
So looks like no real increase in MPG/performance either .....not worth using on that basis then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post

Is that for the ML? The premium diesels do claim cleaning benefits so maybe it is worth using 1/4 or 1/8 times, yeah.
      04-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
E902717
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

Never tried premium tractor fuel in my car...might try it.

I will say the last couple of tanks I've used shell diesel and have noticed the car runs better than when i have used the supermarket brands. Could just be in my head though

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #12
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
My point though is diesels engines are not recommened to run on higher Cetene(?) fuel like petrols are on higher RON
True, but I've just had a quick look at the Shell website & remember reading all this when I had the 335d. They continuously refer to how the V power diesel actively cleans the fuel injectors, prevents the build up of deposits which can effect fuel economy and provides a protective film over metal parts.

If you take the above as keeping your diesel engine running in optimum efficiency then is that construed as better mpg & performance?

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/...ance_fuel.html
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #13
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
True, but I've just had a quick look at the Shell website & remember reading all this when I had the 335d. They continuously refer to how the V power diesel actively cleans the fuel injectors, prevents the build up of deposits which can effect fuel economy and provides a protective film over metal parts.

If you take the above as keeping your diesel engine running in optimum efficiency then is that construed as better mpg & performance?

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/...ance_fuel.html
Yep, you are right, but the trend is that none of us has noted real improvements in MPG and performance.....how much of that link is just Marketing Vapour (get it ) so we keep using V power!

In fact, just check out the Marketing blurb for 'standard' Shell Diesel Extra (not that much different from v power except doesnt have GTL additive)

Shell Diesel Extra – designed for extra engine protection at no extra cost

Helps prevents build up of engine deposits
Shell Diesel Extra is formulated with special additives designed to act on your engine as you drive to help prevent the build-up of deposits. With some regular diesels deposits can clog fuel injectors. Clean fuel injectors give more efficient combustion.

Helps protect your engine
Shell Diesel Extra is also designed to leave a protective film over metallic parts of the engine and fuel system to help prevent rusting

For me though, I do belive Shell Standard is much better than the supermakets.......or have I fallen for the marketing
      04-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #14
E902717
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

Quote:
For me though, I do belive Shell Standard is much better than the supermakets.......or have I fallen for the marketing
Probably fallen for the marketing like i have

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #15
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep, you are right, but the trend is that none of us has noted real improvements in MPG and performance.....how much of that link is just Marketing Vapour (get it ) so we keep using V power!

In fact, just check out the Marketing blurb for 'standard' Shell Diesel Extra (not that much different from v power except doesnt have GTL additive)

Shell Diesel Extra – designed for extra engine protection at no extra cost

Helps prevents build up of engine deposits
Shell Diesel Extra is formulated with special additives designed to act on your engine as you drive to help prevent the build-up of deposits. With some regular diesels deposits can clog fuel injectors. Clean fuel injectors give more efficient combustion.

Helps protect your engine
Shell Diesel Extra is also designed to leave a protective film over metallic parts of the engine and fuel system to help prevent rusting

Very good lol. But IF it does everything 'it says on the tin' then your bits you can't see are being lubricated, protected and kept running at optimum efficiency - hell every man's dream surely.

Seriously, buggered if I know regarding diesels. Can't believe there are no petro-chemical engineers on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E902717 View Post
Probably fallen for the marketing like i have
Me too then maybe. I haven't got a choice though really lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 02:57 AM   #16
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

For Diesels I believe you really only see a benefit of higher price v's better fuel economy on premium fuels if you are doing 20,000 miles plus per year. I have read articles somewhere on this subject. Power gains are there but minimal and you won't in most cases be able to tell. There are 'cleansing' properties so you need to maintain your premium choice and not switch back and forth. The 1 to 3 mpg benefit takes time to recoup versus the 5p + cost difference.

So higher mileages = win. Lower mileages = pays your money, takes your choice

I'm currently doing 40,000 miles pa (26k since Aug 08 on this car) and 44mpg on regular diesel with the odd tank of BP Ultimate. Av. speed of 50mph since new showing on my computer.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #17
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Very good lol. But IF it does everything 'it says on the tin' then your bits you can't see are being lubricated, protected and kept running at optimum efficiency - hell every man's dream surely.
Well, yes I guess it is -I am sold now

We could carry this on at the Northen meet (and bore everybody else to death)

I too am surprised we havent had a post from some petro-chemical genius....
      04-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #18
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerarsr View Post
For Diesels I believe you really only see a benefit of higher price v's better fuel economy on premium fuels if you are doing 20,000 miles plus per year. I have read articles somewhere on this subject. Power gains are there but minimal and you won't in most cases be able to tell. There are 'cleansing' properties so you need to maintain your premium choice and not switch back and forth. The 1 to 3 mpg benefit takes time to recoup versus the 5p + cost difference.

So higher mileages = win. Lower mileages = pays your money, takes your choice

I'm currently doing 40,000 miles pa (26k since Aug 08 on this car) and 44mpg on regular diesel with the odd tank of BP Ultimate. Av. speed of 50mph since new showing on my computer.
I am not sure anybody on here has seen a 3mpg improvement though - that's what about 7-8% on your 44mpg.

It just isnt as clear cut or a quick benefit as super unleaded if it does take high mileages to recoup.
      04-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #19
rup
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 - 23 Sdrive

I would agree with the consensus here that premium diesels have better cleaning and not performance properties.
I use whatever is the cheapest diesel and just put some redex in once every 3 months or so.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #20
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
We could carry this on at the Northen meet (and bore everybody else to death)
Oh yes, you've got your name down haven't you.

We could have one of those discussions where it starts off with the topic ie. premium diesel fuels and it digresses to a discussion about the state of the economy in Mongolia or something............or is it only women manage to turn convos like that getting totally off the original point.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #21
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Convertible E93

I've only ever used V-Power diesel since xmas. Mine might only be a 2.0l ED engine however I do find a slight improvement in MPG and performance then the standard diesel extra.

To be honest, it makes a £6/8 difference per fill up and I think to myself I would rather have the better stuff for that. If fuel goes up much more, i might have to rethink

P
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #22
JZ69
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 DCT

Have done back to back comparisons of Vpower diesel vs Tesco diesel.

I ran two tanks each.

I can honsetly say there was no difference between eaither fuel in either economy or performance.

This is in an LCi 330D.

JZ
Appreciate 0