E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Insanely hard water spots – How to remove?

07-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #45
toicy4ya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330XI

Subscribed...

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #46
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

I was on a job 2 weeks ago and the clients sprinklers went off on the side when I parked. I didn't realize this until the end of the day. It was a warm day by Northern California standard - mid 90s so I ended up with water spots all over.

I used CG citrus wash the following day and it cleared it up a bit but the spots were still there. I used a vinegar/water solution ( 1 to 4 ) the day after and it did the trick. I sprayed it on and let it dwell for about 40 sec in the shade then rinsed off immediately with a pressure washer.

The only down side was that it dulled the paint a bit. I believe it striped the wax/sealant that i had on the car. I re-applied the sealant and everything is good again.

A side note..... I routinely have 2 layers of sealant followed by a layer of wax on the car. I think this is a big factor in my water spots removal without any scrubbing or rubbing. IMO
      07-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #47
JohnnyT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 4Runner. Former 09 328i.

I just had a very similar issue to deal with this morning. Was at the Jersey shore last week and ended up with serious water spots all over my front hood. Salt from the ocean had settled on the car and a sprinkler hit the car at night and then all the little salt water beads just baked in the hot sun all day.

I washed and clayed. Then I used Meguiars 105 polish by hand to get them off. Took alot of elbow grease but it did the job. I then topped it with Collinite 845.

Just grateful it wasn't all over the entire car.
Appreciate 0