E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Budget Build Target 425RWHP Looking for advice.

02-26-2018, 05:26 PM   #67
puppydax
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 Viper ACR  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOS07335i View Post

Lesson's Learned so Far:

3) No I'm not totally convinced that I need INDEX 12 lol. I'm stubborn that way. Yes just about everyone on this forum has told me to replace my injectors with INDEX 12 but I'm out to prove you all wrong or at least for the next hundred or so miles.
subbing to see what issues you'll have when you actually try to go FBO.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      02-26-2018, 09:51 PM   #68
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Garage List
Lol I know I'm just so sick of doing the maintenance stuff just want to get on with the fun stuff already. Pay now or pay later. I will put those injectors through the paces though. One thing that is reassuring is two other guys in BMW club have bought eBay injectors and they both have FBO and no issues. I need to ask them what index there running
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 10:59 PM   #69
Ur3ss
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6-speed, 2001 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
ARM motorsports or VRSF. If you buy all at once, you can get everything for 800-1000 from ARM
Can vouch for ARM Motorsports DPs. Hesitantly started putting them on because I hadnt read much about them but they fit perfectly fine and went on without much headache.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      02-26-2018, 11:35 PM   #70
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E92

Quote:
Lol I know I'm just so sick of doing the maintenance stuff just want to get on with the fun stuff already. Pay now or pay later. I will put those injectors through the paces though. One thing that is reassuring is two other guys in BMW club have bought eBay injectors and they both have FBO and no issues. I need to ask them what index there running
I own a 08 335xi e92. I was having simiar issues as you far as misfires go. I went and replaced old plugs for m4 spark plugs still had misfire, then replaced all 6 coil packs with brand new Delphie brand. Drove for a short bit still had misfires on 1 & 3. I decided then to get a walnut blasting done, I thought that solved my issue but I was wrong, finally I decided to bite the bullet and buy 6 brand new index 12 fuel injectors. When I pulled out the old injectors they were the worst ones Index 9 injectors majority of them. I would get a nasty misfire on cylinders 1,3 and sometimes 5 upon wide open throttle where I would have to pull over and shut the car off wait a minute or so then turn it back on hoping the misfire would be gone after clearing codes on tablet via MHD. It got to the point where the misfire would not go away even after shutting the car off for longer periods of time. Buying new index 12 injectors with combo of new plugs, coil packs, spark plugs and walnut blasting I notice a night/day difference on throttle response and lost power. I have fbo XS power CP, tial bov, VSRF catless downpipes, 7" fmic, stage 2+ v7 map flash, stage 2 fuel pump, 3.5 bar map sensor. Will soon be putting
vsrf inlets and new front bumper As they say, "patience is a virtue." Good luck resolving your misfiring issue!
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      02-27-2018, 11:53 AM   #71
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtoboost View Post
I own a 08 335xi e92. I was having simiar issues as you far as misfires go. I went and replaced old plugs for m4 spark plugs still had misfire, then replaced all 6 coil packs with brand new Delphie brand. Drove for a short bit still had misfires on 1 & 3. I decided then to get a walnut blasting done, I thought that solved my issue but I was wrong, finally I decided to bite the bullet and buy 6 brand new index 12 fuel injectors. When I pulled out the old injectors they were the worst ones Index 9 injectors majority of them. I would get a nasty misfire on cylinders 1,3 and sometimes 5 upon wide open throttle where I would have to pull over and shut the car off wait a minute or so then turn it back on hoping the misfire would be gone after clearing codes on tablet via MHD. It got to the point where the misfire would not go away even after shutting the car off for longer periods of time. Buying new index 12 injectors with combo of new plugs, coil packs, spark plugs and walnut blasting I notice a night/day difference on throttle response and lost power. I have fbo XS power CP, tial bov, VSRF catless downpipes, 7" fmic, stage 2+ v7 map flash, stage 2 fuel pump, 3.5 bar map sensor. Will soon be putting
vsrf inlets and new front bumper As they say, "patience is a virtue." Good luck resolving your misfiring issue!
Thanks for the post. My misfire issue was resolved when I finally replaced my precat O2 sensors on Bank1 and bank2 and after having to reset the adaptations twice. So for the last three days I've been driving the car with no misfire issues at all and the car is running great. Now that the weather is a little better I need to go out and punch the throttle a bit and test my luck. I'll probably wait another week or two then go out and place an order. One of the guys at our local club thinks he can get me a pretty good deal if I go VSRF so I may go that route with 7"FMIC, DP and CP depending on cost.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #72
Jmore92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 titanium silver e90 335i

Good to hear. I'm ordering my O2 sensors as well. Are u resetting the adaptations through mhd? Any follow up method needed after resetting?

Last edited by Jmore92; 02-27-2018 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #73
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmore92 View Post
Good to hear. I'm ordering my O2 sensors as well. Are u resetting the adaptations through mhd? Any follow up method needed after resetting?
I used INPA I'd have to look at the screens again don't have mhd yet. Car is totally stock at this point. I will say when I reset all the adaptations I was pretty scared got all sorts of wierd errors like DSC, ABS, brakes but I reset all errors turned car off and on again and that all went away. I wish I could read German. I was just desperate not knowing what I was doing.

On another note I called a local tuner that was advised by my local BMW club and he told me that with VSRF DP's, DCI,FMIC and CP and mhd stage 2+ that I should be in the 350wh range that was pretty dissapoing to hear. He said you can get over 400 with stage 2 secondary fuel pump and an E40 mix. He also mentioned that the VSRF alu inlets make a big difference. He's got a dyno at his shop so I'm assuming he knows what he's talking about. But man 350 whp sounds pretty low compared to what others are saying. I wonder if he's using a mustang Dyno.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 08:42 PM   #74
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur3ss View Post
Can vouch for ARM Motorsports DPs. Hesitantly started putting them on because I hadnt read much about them but they fit perfectly fine and went on without much headache.
They claim some pretty big numbers 408 rwh if you go with there "5 FMIC, DP,dci,cp with a Jb4 tune. They also seem pretty cheap. Wonder if anyone that doesn't work for ARM could validate those claims. Good to know about the fitment.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 06:00 AM   #75
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
I used INPA I'd have to look at the screens again don't have mhd yet. Car is totally stock at this point. I will say when I reset all the adaptations I was pretty scared got all sorts of wierd errors like DSC, ABS, brakes but I reset all errors turned car off and on again and that all went away. I wish I could read German. I was just desperate not knowing what I was doing.

On another note I called a local tuner that was advised by my local BMW club and he told me that with VSRF DP's, DCI,FMIC and CP and mhd stage 2+ that I should be in the 350wh range that was pretty dissapoing to hear. He said you can get over 400 with stage 2 secondary fuel pump and an E40 mix. He also mentioned that the VSRF alu inlets make a big difference. He's got a dyno at his shop so I'm assuming he knows what he's talking about. But man 350 whp sounds pretty low compared to what others are saying. I wonder if he's using a mustang Dyno.
We all have a tendency to obsess about the numbers but honestly the difference in performance between stock and a basic FBO is enormous. Install DPs, FMIC, DCI and either MHD or JB4/BEF and live with it for a while. In terms of brands, there aren't significant performance differences for those of us who rarely if ever track. It's all about whether it fits or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 05:21 PM   #76
Ur3ss
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6-speed, 2001 330i

Quote:
They claim some pretty big numbers 408 rwh if you go with there "5 FMIC, DP,dci,cp with a Jb4 tune. They also seem pretty cheap. Wonder if anyone that doesn't work for ARM could validate those claims. Good to know about the fitment.
Well I'm currently running their DPs, ETS 7" intercooler & CP with a TIAL bov and Injen intake with JB4 G5 on map 5. The gains that I've experienced are incredible. As far as numbers I don't know where I stand because I haven't found someone who can dyno my car on a Sunday but I'm currently working on it. I'd be happy to post an update here when I do.

It worth mentioning that my waste gates do rattle A LOT so I'm not sure how much that will affect my numbers.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #77
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Thanks for the post. My misfire issue was resolved when I finally replaced my precat O2 sensors on Bank1 and bank2 and after having to reset the adaptations twice. So for the last three days I've been driving the car with no misfire issues at all and the car is running great.
That is very interesting! I would like to know how/why the o2 sensors affected only cylinder 3. I'm glad your car runs good now.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 04:32 PM   #78
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Question about Catless DP's. From my reading it sounds like engine service light will come on within 50 miles of installing the DP's correct. JB4 has an autodelete feature witch will remove all SEL's? is that correct? What if you have a different issue that's not related? This sounds dangerous. Can someone please help me fill in the gaps?

I wasnt planning on going with a JB4 was just going to use MHD stage 2+
Does MHD have the ability to turn off the check engine light with catless down pipes? I dont want to see any lights on my dash what are my options?

Doing some more reading has anyone tried using sparkplug non fowlers on POST cats O2 bungs? Sounds like this would prevent cel codes and pass emissions?? Anyone try this? Is this the magic bullet?

Last edited by GEOS07335i; 03-04-2018 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 11:59 PM   #79
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

Quote:
Question about Catless DP's. From my reading it sounds like engine service light will come on within 50 miles of installing the DP's correct. JB4 has an autodelete feature witch will remove all SEL's? is that correct? What if you have a different issue that's not related? This sounds dangerous. Can someone please help me fill in the gaps?

I wasnt planning on going with a JB4 was just going to use MHD stage 2+
Does MHD have the ability to turn off the check engine light with catless down pipes? I dont want to see any lights on my dash what are my options?

Doing some more reading has anyone tried using sparkplug non fowlers on POST cats O2 bungs? Sounds like this would prevent cel codes and pass emissions?? Anyone try this? Is this the magic bullet?
MHD does this
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #80
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I went ahead and finally pulled the trigger. I just ordered from ARM Motorsports 7"FMIC Prototype, DP's, CP, and DCI. In the spirit of the "budget build" I got our local tuner to do the install for $500. I think that's a smoking deal. He's done a bunch of these mostly VSRF so I'm pretty confident hes going to do a much better job than I would in my garage. He also has a dyno in the shop so I plan on doing a couple of DYNO pull's while I'm there a before and after. He doesn't think I'll make over 350 to the wheel. 425 to the wheel was a pipe dream with out other mods or ethanol so if I get anywhere near 400 to the wheel on 91-93 octane I'll be very happy. Lets hope the ebay injectors and the stock HPFP hold up. lol I think my dream of having a 500hp convertible for under 10K might have been just that. Will have to wait and see.

Note: 500 miles and climbing. No bad idle, no un-burnt gas smell, no wet plugs, no long cranks, no sooty crap combing out my tail pipe. BUT she did throw some P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold codes on Bank1 and Bank2 either I was an idiot and put the new O2 sensors in the wrong bung or I have bad cats. Will check the first option this weekend when I button everything up. But totally stoked on going FBO finally.

I've got the walnut blasting out of the way along with new coils, and plugs. I'll probably swap out the oil this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #81
autoart
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90 M/ 22 X3

I think that you will do about 360hp and 430tq depending on the dyno. When the guy installs the downpipes make sure he corrects the 02 problem while hes there.
I dynoed 335hp and 411tq with Cobb stage 1 and intercooler only on dynojet(91 oct.)Good luck!!
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      03-09-2018, 07:45 AM   #82
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoart View Post
I think that you will do about 360hp and 430tq depending on the dyno. When the guy installs the downpipes make sure he corrects the 02 problem while hes there.
I dynoed 335hp and 411tq with Cobb stage 1 and intercooler only on dynojet(91 oct.)Good luck!!
Well I'm hoping that by removing my cat's it fixes the O2 problem or that I just had them swapped out wrong. Didnt have those code prior to replacing them. I have new precat Bosch O2 sensors on now. I want to say that the cat's are partially clogged. I can verify this once he takes the cats off. Also I'm going to verify tomorrow that I put the O2 sensors in the correct bung.

Gray o2 sensors go on the short (passenger side) and black sensors go on the long (driver side) pipes.

Bank 1 cyl1-3 Black connector
Bank 2 cyl 4-6 Gray connector.

I also want to figure out how to do the Alpina Flash before I buy the MHD Stage 2+ tune. The ARM guys feel confident that I'll make 400+ to the wheels. I'm not as confident though. Will have to wait and see.

To get to 335 did you do any other mods besides Stg1 Cobb and FMIC? What size? No DCI?
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      03-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #83
autoart
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90 M/ 22 X3

That 335 was done with just stg1 cobb, 91 oct, and intercooler. Stock intake with paper filter. I do have a charge pipe, but that doesn't do anything for hp or tq.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 09:30 PM   #84
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
On my way all the parts are ordered. Also just did the B3 Alpina AT tranny flash. Now to test it tomorrow after I check the O2 sensors. Man the Alpina flash was kind of a pain in the arse. Hope I like it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 10:07 PM   #85
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Here we go. Just my goodie bag today. I have to admit this stuff looks pretty good. I dont know what I dont know but the welds look spot on. Nice and tight. The 7"FMIC looks good the fin density looks pretty tight. I just hope it all fits. The DP's look very nice. Comes with all of the hardware. So far so good. Will just have to wait and see if my tuner has any issues with fitment or other issues. For the price you cant beat it. $700 in change with free shipping. FOGETABOUTIT!

Just waiting on the "FAKE" Tial BOV. Now this is interesting the BOV on Ebay has the Tial logo on it. I know it's fake because it's 67$ when I asked the vendor he said yes the Tial Logo is on it. Isnt that some sort of total counterfeit? How do they get away with that? That should totally be illegal shouldnt it?"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tial-Blow-O...72.m2749.l2649

So here was my question:
Is the item shipped look like exactly whats in the picture? Does it say Tial on top?

Here was the response:
Hi There,

Thank you for reaching. Yes, this item exactly the same on the picture.

Just not sure how they get away with it. Worst part is I'm supporting it
Attached Images

Last edited by GEOS07335i; 03-13-2018 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #86
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

NYC and some countries in EU have laws against the retailers and buyers too.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 10:20 PM   #87
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
NYC and some countries in EU have laws against the retailers and buyers too.
You mean I could get in trouble for buying a counterfeit item? I just dont understand why TIAL lets them get away with this.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 10:47 PM   #88
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You mean I could get in trouble for buying a counterfeit item? I just dont understand why TIAL lets them get away with this.
I'm not a lawyer but I remember that big names like Prada, Verace, Armani and such went against NCY for allowing sales of fake purses, watches, sunglasses and such so they made it illegal. It is not federal rule but never the less is a law. So as far I understand it to put it simple is like drug dealing. If caught, both parties, buyer and seller at at fault.
Appreciate 0