E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 325d LCI Auto, Weird Behaviour

08-16-2018, 04:11 AM   #1
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325d LCI

325d LCI Auto, Weird Behaviour

Hi all.

I have searched quite a bit on this topic but I can't seem to find a thread that sounds exactly like what I am experiencing.

So first start of the day or if the car has been stood for a long time (mornings or a full day at work if I don't drive out at lunch) the revs will fluctuate when started. It has done this since I got it and never seemed to give me a problem.

I have noticed a few times recently however, again when the car is cold on a morning, that if I brake at the end of the street they make some noise which I presumed is because they are cold (slight grinding sound maybe?) but the revs also drop quite low and the car almost stalls before catching itself. Normally by the time I have drove out of the estate the car is already behaving normally again.

Another thing is sometimes when you are cruising at fairly low revs at any speed from 30-70mph, if you gently accelerate (in the same gear using it in manual mode) there can sometimes be the slightest of hesitation, the car doesn't feel like it jerks so much but there is definitely a very slight and odd feeling before it picks up. From memory the car can be relatively warmed up and still do this however it is possible it is still not at full operating temp.

Wondering if anyone has experienced any of these and if they could all be linked?

Anymore details needed just let me know.

Thanks for any advice!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 05:50 AM   #2
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekuLUKEkul View Post
Hi all.

I have searched quite a bit on this topic but I can't seem to find a thread that sounds exactly like what I am experiencing.

So first start of the day or if the car has been stood for a long time (mornings or a full day at work if I don't drive out at lunch) the revs will fluctuate when started. It has done this since I got it and never seemed to give me a problem.

I have noticed a few times recently however, again when the car is cold on a morning, that if I brake at the end of the street they make some noise which I presumed is because they are cold (slight grinding sound maybe?) but the revs also drop quite low and the car almost stalls before catching itself. Normally by the time I have drove out of the estate the car is already behaving normally again.

Another thing is sometimes when you are cruising at fairly low revs at any speed from 30-70mph, if you gently accelerate (in the same gear using it in manual mode) there can sometimes be the slightest of hesitation, the car doesn't feel like it jerks so much but there is definitely a very slight and odd feeling before it picks up. From memory the car can be relatively warmed up and still do this however it is possible it is still not at full operating temp.

Wondering if anyone has experienced any of these and if they could all be linked?

Anymore details needed just let me know.

Thanks for any advice!
Have you scanned the car for error codes?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 05:52 AM   #3
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry I should have been more clear on that part. Nothing has flagged up on the dash, however I haven't had it scanned for any hidden codes that could have been logged. Do you think it is likely it will have logged something?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 05:57 AM   #4
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Well i would scan for codes first. No point in trying to guess what might be the problem.

Around £10-15 for the cable and software is free online.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 05:59 AM   #5
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

I will get one of the cables and get it scanned. What software is required? Is the carly app good for this? I have no experience in what I may need.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 06:00 AM   #6
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Best software is ISTA. Yes Carly also works
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #7
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Perfect thanks for the info. I will get that and see if anything shows
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 06:33 AM   #8
Kuroblack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Have a look at a couple of my problem threads, you may find some similar experiences! (2011 330d Auto)

I'd guess at the usual EGR (maybe EGR cooler) set of issues - I've had it twice now at 45k ish and again at 90isk. The error codes aren't always obvious, but if you google them you can trace one or two common issues.

My symptoms always started out as a momentary hesitation, always first thing, always on gentle throttle. When it begins it's problem 1/100 starts. After a while the frequency will increase, you may also find that on start up, if you select either D or R, the revs become lumpy and you feel like it could stall. (I actually posted a youtube video of this at the time)

It's more annoying than anything else, and relatively easy to sort.

ETA; it will throw up a CEL at some point, I'm betting you'll hit some of these:

1. 4e0f - Swirl Valve Plausibility
2. 497d - Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor Before Turbocharger Plausibility
3. 4a1f - Glow Control Unit
4. 4a4f - Glow Control Unit
5. 40e9 - EGR Control Position
6. 4a5f - Glow Control Unit
7. 3ff0 - Air Mass Flow Sensor
8. 4501 - EGR Controller Deviation
9. 4c9e EGR Valve Plausibility
10. 4c9f - EGR Valve Plausibility
11. 4dff - Swirl Valve Controller Position
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #9
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroblack View Post
Have a look at a couple of my problem threads, you may find some similar experiences! (2011 330d Auto)

I'd guess at the usual EGR (maybe EGR cooler) set of issues - I've had it twice now at 45k ish and again at 90isk. The error codes aren't always obvious, but if you google them you can trace one or two common issues.

My symptoms always started out as a momentary hesitation, always first thing, always on gentle throttle. When it begins it's problem 1/100 starts. After a while the frequency will increase, you may also find that on start up, if you select either D or R, the revs become lumpy and you feel like it could stall. (I actually posted a youtube video of this at the time)

It's more annoying than anything else, and relatively easy to sort.

ETA; it will throw up a CEL at some point, I'm betting you'll hit some of these:

1. 4e0f - Swirl Valve Plausibility
2. 497d - Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor Before Turbocharger Plausibility
3. 4a1f - Glow Control Unit
4. 4a4f - Glow Control Unit
5. 40e9 - EGR Control Position
6. 4a5f - Glow Control Unit
7. 3ff0 - Air Mass Flow Sensor
8. 4501 - EGR Controller Deviation
9. 4c9e EGR Valve Plausibility
10. 4c9f - EGR Valve Plausibility
11. 4dff - Swirl Valve Controller Position
Read through your posts, does sound similar. I am not sure whether D or R make a difference but I will test that next time, did you ever nearly stall when braking? This only seems to happen when I get to the end of my street, so under 30 seconds of starting the car I would say. However once I am out of the estate and brake again (1-2 mins of driving), the car is fine. Very strange
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #10
Kuroblack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekuLUKEkul View Post
Read through your posts, does sound similar. I am not sure whether D or R make a difference but I will test that next time, did you ever nearly stall when braking? This only seems to happen when I get to the end of my street, so under 30 seconds of starting the car I would say. However once I am out of the estate and brake again (1-2 mins of driving), the car is fine. Very strange
Occasionally yes it would - same as your scenario, end of my estate, or the roundabout just before the motorway, feels like its going to stall but seems to recover. Always after warming up it's gone. That's what the D and R scenario was like, it rumbled and seemed very unhappy nearly stalling.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 03:41 AM   #11
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroblack View Post
Occasionally yes it would - same as your scenario, end of my estate, or the roundabout just before the motorway, feels like its going to stall but seems to recover. Always after warming up it's gone. That's what the D and R scenario was like, it rumbled and seemed very unhappy nearly stalling.
Yeah that sounds very similar, so this morning I paid extra attention, it seems once the car is started it runs fine for maybe 5-10 seconds and then whilst still in P the revs will fluctuate, once I went to D it was still stumbling but I couldn't tell if it was any worse than in P.

End of street I brake and the revs dip, that didn't happen again after that.

Once or twice (that I noticed) I gently accelerated in gear, one time was in 6th the other I don't remember and I felt the car stutter very slightly (so slight that my passenger didn't feel it).

I got the car last December and the revs have always been a touch grumbly when cold. MOT history shows it didn't get much use in the year before I picked it up so I'm wondering if this could be part of the problem... but TBH I have no idea
Appreciate 0