E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > CIC / Nav System Failure - Tips and Tricks? Part Number? Coding? Afternarket Upgrades

11-07-2019, 06:23 PM   #1
irex511
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 M3, '21 X7

CIC / Nav System Failure - Tips and Tricks? Part Number? Coding? Afternarket Upgrades

Hey Folks,

I have a 2011 M3 and the infotainment system is rebooting every 30 seconds or so. I've done enough searching to know that it looks like my CIC computer needs to be replaced, but I have a few questions:

1) Anything else I should try before shelling out the cash? I've reset the system, disconnected the battery, etc.

2) Anyone have the part number for the CIC computer for this car? I find a bunch of stuff on eBay and re-sellers for doing the swap that comes with the screen, but I really don't need that.

3) Some people say that when you do a swap from the older systems, it takes the dealer to code them to the car. I'm assuming I'll have the same challenge with a straight up swap? Does anyone know if someone has figured out a DIY for this?

4) Any aftermarket systems worth upgrading to while doing this? Assuming no from some light digging but thought I would ask.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irex511 View Post
Hey Folks,

I have a 2011 M3 and the infotainment system is rebooting every 30 seconds or so. I've done enough searching to know that it looks like my CIC computer needs to be replaced, but I have a few questions:

1) Anything else I should try before shelling out the cash? I've reset the system, disconnected the battery, etc.

2) Anyone have the part number for the CIC computer for this car? I find a bunch of stuff on eBay and re-sellers for doing the swap that comes with the screen, but I really don't need that.

3) Some people say that when you do a swap from the older systems, it takes the dealer to code them to the car. I'm assuming I'll have the same challenge with a straight up swap? Does anyone know if someone has figured out a DIY for this?

4) Any aftermarket systems worth upgrading to while doing this? Assuming no from some light digging but thought I would ask.

Thanks for the help!
Reboots can be caused by a failing hard drive in the unit.

You can shut off the car and pull out the HDD w/o removing the head unit.

Then start the HU and see if it works properly. It will boot from flash memory.

Without the HDD many functions will be unavailable but you can then see if it continues to reboot or not... if it does replace or upgrade the HDD after cloning the old drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #3
irex511
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 M3, '21 X7

Just wanted to respond to say thanks and let you know that this absolutely was the problem.

For others, I made a quick video of how to remove the hard drive to check for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iiRIFmHWtw

I also followed another post on this forum from jagaer to replace / upgrade the hard drive to an ssd:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1426773

Thanks for the great insight and all of the help!
Appreciate 1
bcoz80.50
      01-13-2020, 12:04 AM   #4
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Great video.

Thanks
Appreciate 0