E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > The Evolve Switch

07-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
baggy
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe M Sport

The Evolve Switch

hey.

quick question to the evolve guys

I really want a switch rather than a map, but i only run a mac so i am unable to connect the switch to email the data back.

can i come up to luton and you download and upload for me?
cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

Can't you just use a friends PC, its only a few minutes to download so i'm told.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
baggy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveF1 View Post
Can't you just use a friends PC, its only a few minutes to download so i'm told.
if only i had friends......
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

What about your workplace, surely they must have a PC.....

Family.....
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 01:50 AM   #5
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
get a cheap notebook or laptop
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 05:21 AM   #6
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Lend me your 335 for a week and I'll sort it for you
      07-18-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy View Post
hey.

I really want a switch rather than a map, but i only run a mac so i am unable to connect the switch to email the data back.

cheers
I posted the same question a while back and in response, Imran from Evolve and another forum member recommended running either 'Parallels' or 'VM Ware'.
I discussed this with some fellow Mac users and the consensus is that it slows the computer down and increases it's vulnerability to attack , additionally I don't see the point in turning my Mac into a Windows machine.
I think the solution for the likes of us is to either use a friends PC or, as I am seriously considering, get a plug-and-play unit from DTUK or TDI Tuning. I also think it might be better considering that it's easily removable and, as far as I know, leaves no detectable trace in the ECU; however, I willingly stand to be corrected on that point.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
baggy
Private
Rep

good point, and i have just looked they are cheaper....
going to research DTUK option i think, time to use the magic search button
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #9
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
You'll regret not going the Evolve route!
      07-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
You'll regret not going the Evolve route!
Without comparing one against the other, how would you know?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
good point, and i have just looked they are cheaper....
going to research DTUK option i think, time to use the magic search button
Please let me know how you get on if and when you fit one. No point in me going for it at the moment as I'm on the verge of trading in my E92 330d. Not sure what to replace it with but it'll have either the 330d or 335d - all that smoothness and power with 37mpg overall - what an engine!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #12
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D;
I posted the same question a while back and in response, Imran from Evolve and another forum member recommended running either 'Parallels' or 'VM Ware'.
I discussed this with some fellow Mac users and the consensus is that it slows the computer down and increases it's vulnerability to attack , additionally I don't see the point in turning my Mac into a Windows machine.
I think the solution for the likes of us is to either use a friends PC or, as I am seriously considering, get a plug-and-play unit from DTUK or TDI Tuning. I also think it might be better considering that it's easily removable and, as far as I know, leaves no detectable trace in the ECU; however, I willingly stand to be corrected on that point.
The evolve switch is probably easier to remove (no need to lift the bonnet) and leaves no trace either. One of the views on this forum is a remap is the better technical solution compared to a piggy back device.

As for running a vm on a Mac.....it's secure and you only need to run it when you need it - so will not slow your Mac down. But you only need a pc for 5 mins, so a friend may be easiest option
      07-19-2010, 03:20 AM   #13
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: cars n stuff

Agree on the VMWare statement, not so sure on the switch leaving no trace..

I thought that kit like Evolve's switch re-maps and then un-maps your car as you prefer. Likewise I thought that the newer (e9x, for example) ECUs had a counter that noted the amount of times that the ePROM had been written to. Surely then it'll leave a trace, same as a managed re-map?

Possibly arguing semantics, but I figured that was the choice that one made - a 'proper' re-map versus an untraceable piggy-back..?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 04:21 AM   #14
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post

I thought that kit like Evolve's switch re-maps and then un-maps your car as you prefer. Likewise I thought that the newer (e9x, for example) ECUs had a counter that noted the amount of times that the ePROM had been written to. Surely then it'll leave a trace, same as a managed re-map?

Possibly arguing semantics, but I figured that was the choice that one made - a 'proper' re-map versus an untraceable piggy-back..?
This is how I understand it and for that reason alone, I'm more inclined toward the add-on box. However, as far as I know, it works by the tuning box reducing the fuel pressure signal to the ECU, which then schedules an increase in pump pressure to the common rail and injectors. Presumably likewise for the turbo boost signal.
This leaves me wondering how the engine fares long-term under increased fuel and turbo pressures.
I'd really like to have my reservations dispelled; if and when that happens, I'll go for it after the new car's run-in.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 05:04 AM   #15
evil_scooby
m340i owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ex Scoob, Ex S4, ex 335d m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
I use VMware all the time on my MAC if I need to do a specifc task (I need to build a lot of Linux and Windows servers)
If you were worried about attack, the only potential attack time would be the five minute window when you upload the files to your evolve switch.
Windows runs very fast on the MAC, and you dont need to give it any internet access so again reduces the risk.
Download any files on the MAC, drag them into the VM window, and do what you need to do.

Its an easy option and im about if you need help
ps. Evolve remap is great :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 05:44 AM   #16
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_scooby View Post
I use VMware all the time on my MAC if I need to do a specifc task (I need to build a lot of Linux and Windows servers)
If you were worried about attack, the only potential attack time would be the five minute window when you upload the files to your evolve switch.
Windows runs very fast on the MAC, and you dont need to give it any internet access so again reduces the risk.
Download any files on the MAC, drag them into the VM window, and do what you need to do.

Its an easy option and im about if you need help
ps. Evolve remap is great :-)
Thanks, that's reassuring; I didn't think about downloading the files in Mac mode and then opening them in VM/Windows whilst off-line - not the first time I've missed the obvious...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 06:53 AM   #17
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
This is how I understand it and for that reason alone, I'm more inclined toward the add-on box. However, as far as I know, it works by the tuning box reducing the fuel pressure signal to the ECU, which then schedules an increase in pump pressure to the common rail and injectors. Presumably likewise for the turbo boost signal.
This leaves me wondering how the engine fares long-term under increased fuel and turbo pressures.
I'd really like to have my reservations dispelled; if and when that happens, I'll go for it after the new car's run-in.
Hmm, have a good search - the evolve guys have stated previously no trace of the re-map remains...
      07-19-2010, 07:14 AM   #18
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Quote:
hey.

cheers
Hi

Yes we can set up the switch box for you if you come to us. There is no extra charge for this service.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #19
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post

The Bosch EDC16 ECU in the E9X does not have a flash counter.

They do have them in VAG's but we have some software that allows us to knock the flash counter back.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #20
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: cars n stuff

Thanks for the reply Imran. I'm more confused now though, almost everyone else says that they back-step the counter - but you're saying it doesn't have one... Mixed messages for us laymen who just drive the things!

Never been a fan of the big brother approach, so I'm ecstatic if that's the case, just confused as to why others are saying that it exists (unless it's just the human element of people who like things to sound technical/complex!).
Appreciate 0