E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Should smoke come from here?

03-19-2024, 02:01 AM   #1
zohaibrose
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Should smoke come from here?

Hi N55 guys! idk if you guys ever smoke test your motor for vacuum or boost leaks but do you guys think smoke should be coming from this crankshaft? like it comes thru the front crank seal, I just put in another crank seal and it still does the same thing, my stft at idle are maxed out at 33% lean and that’s the only place smoke comes from 🤔, not sure if it’s normal, keeps going into limp mode
I attached some pics below
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 04:53 PM   #2
Xalithar
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335I X-drive (2011)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I have three theories for this based on the photo. First the seal is bad either it was installed wrong or it was a crap seal. Second your hub is gouged to the point that the front seal cannot do its job anymore. Or third, and I really hope this is not it, your block is cracked around the area behind the harmonic dampener. I would take the damper off and see for sure. I can say for certain that that would be the cause of the fuel trim issue.
Appreciate 0