E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Coolant leak

03-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
Luis_JR
Rep
Drives: 09 bmw 328i xdrive

Coolant leak

I think I have a coolant leak in my e92, does anyone know a DIY guide or how much it would be to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #2
jon_335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Depends on what the leak is. Lots of places it could be leaking from.

2007 BMW 335i | Garner, North Carolina
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
Luis_JR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_335
Depends on what the leak is. Lots of places it could be leaking from.
Well I looked under my car when I was changing my d1c and I saw green liquid coming out of the bottom of the car, and then this morning my low coolant light came on, do you know what this could be?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 09:16 PM   #4
D0Z3R335i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 2Dr

First off there should only be blue coolant in the car. Green coolant doesn't go over well with these cars. I just went through a whole coolant system check to find my leak. I would check the line from the back of the thermostat to the front of the head. Sometimes the end on the thermostat comes loose. The clamps have specific white lines they have to be in between and from my experience if they're even like an inch off, you'll get a leak.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 05:54 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

OP, not to be a dick or anything, but do you really think you gave any of us enough information to give you an answer?

The simplest of cooling systems for these cars has 9 hoses, the most complex has 15 or so hoses and additional heat exchangers. The leak could be coming from anywhere and cost almost anything to fix.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 07:33 PM   #6
Luis_JR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
OP, not to be a dick or anything, but do you really think you gave any of us enough information to give you an answer?

The simplest of cooling systems for these cars has 9 hoses, the most complex has 15 or so hoses and additional heat exchangers. The leak could be coming from anywhere and cost almost anything to fix.
considering im just getting started to know bmw's i wouldnt know how much information to give. but thank you, ill try to give more information next time.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #7
Luis_JR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_JR View Post
I think I have a coolant leak in my e92, does anyone know a DIY guide or how much it would be to fix it?
while checking information on the subject i saw a post around here that said you should never have a low coolant light come up, and if you do it means you have a leak, is this true or is it just a myth.?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

There is nothing special about a BMW. Cooling systems are cooling systems. They can leak or not.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0