E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Best android radio for E90

07-09-2018, 04:35 AM   #1
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Best android radio for E90

Hi guys,
I have been researching these E90 android head units like the Eonon GA9165A, Dynavin, etc for replacing my proff radio in my 2008 E90 but the reviews do not inspire much confidence.
Issues such as no warning sound when leaving the car with the headlights on, the reverse sensor sound does not change the closer you are to an obstacle, long boot up times 30-40 seconds each time you remove the key etc.
What do you recommend? Is the Eonon worth it? Are there any other better alternatives?
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
BeamerNub
Private
Rep
Drives: 3 series

I have an Xtrons unit. It's great, so far.

No idea bout the no warning sound when the headlights are left on. I've never had that. I get a ding when I leave the sidelights on, but then the headlights switch off when I leave them on. The sidelights don't, hence the ding.

Reversing sensors do change in speed, and even provide a radar on the screen. However the solid beep is not there anymore unfortunately. I have a reversing camera fitted, which I will admit is useful.

Long boot up times? From cold, the unit boots in about 20 seconds (and that's probably me rounding up), but more to the point, once it's booted, it warm boots on ignition. Instant boot. As in, half a second and it's booted.

I don't know if the Xtrons is better than the Eonon, but I really can't knock it so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep

Which version do you have? Android 7.1 or 8.0?
Does it place the lines on the reverse screen?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
LordChappers
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 320i (E90)

I had an Eonon unit for my Astra and it was fantastic - definitely going to get the Android 8.0 Eonon unit for my 320i (when I have the money)! Their customer support was really good (when I needed it due to my own mistake).

I do recommend getting a different reverse camera than the included one though.
      07-17-2018, 07:49 AM   #5
BeamerNub
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_dracula View Post
Which version do you have? Android 7.1 or 8.0?
Does it place the lines on the reverse screen?
I have the Xtrons running Oreo 8.0 with 4GB RAM, and an Octa Core processor based on the Cortex-A53 (sold under the Rockchip PX5 mark). You can get the Quad Core for a little bit cheaper, however while the difference in price is about £40, I would note that Quad Core is now last gen technology, but has been able to ride it out from 2012 to now (and is still finding its way into new phones). The Nexus 4 is still hanging in there for grim life.....and the Galaxy S3...

The Octa Core is basically current gen though and could well be relevant for another 6-8 years.... maybe longer. We're also getting to the point that Android development is slower than hardware development, therefore the usual obsolescence cycle will shift significantly in favour of the hardware. You could find Octa Core devices happily running the latest versions of Android for 8-10 years.... (and that's not as bold a claim as you might think) However, I suspect the manufacturers won't support it for that long, so it'll be on the open source community like XDA etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 10:57 AM   #6
Sp4rtanSD
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I went through a similar decision process. Ultimately I decided not to hook myself to a proprietary system with a questionable upgrade future. I felt that a standard double DIN receiver was the way to go. I chose the Pioneer MVH 2300NEX after reading many reviews of the various options. I figure that I am more likely to get upgrades from Pioneer than many of the other options, and if not, swapping out the HU in the future should be a viable option. To make it work I needed the following:
• PAC RP4.2-BM21 Wiring Interface
• Metra 40-EU10 Antenna Adapter
• LIEBMAYA 170 degree Car Trunk Handle Backup Camera Rear View HD Camera
• AI BMWK320 Radio Replacement Kit
• Generic auto accessory relay with mounting tab
Installation was reasonably straightforward, but does require some handiness with automotive trim and electrical work (I have a writeup in progress). Everything seems to work very well (including Android Auto), and this way you have a choice of whether to buy navigation in the HU or use your phone. I'm not saying this is the best solution, but it seemed to be for my purposes.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #7
BeamerNub
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp4rtanSD View Post
I went through a similar decision process. Ultimately I decided not to hook myself to a proprietary system with a questionable upgrade future. I felt that a standard double DIN receiver was the way to go. I chose the Pioneer MVH 2300NEX after reading many reviews of the various options. I figure that I am more likely to get upgrades from Pioneer than many of the other options, and if not, swapping out the HU in the future should be a viable option. To make it work I needed the following:
Installation was reasonably straightforward, but does require some handiness with automotive trim and electrical work (I have a writeup in progress). Everything seems to work very well (including Android Auto), and this way you have a choice of whether to buy navigation in the HU or use your phone. I'm not saying this is the best solution, but it seemed to be for my purposes.
Not that I want to burst the bubble slightly, Pioneer haven't always been the best with updates. They basically killed the original AppRadio (AppRadio SPH-DA01) after 2 years, much to the chagrin of the users. Luckily, there is an app you can buy for about £29 which turns it into an Android screen mirror.

I hope they continue to support it though. There's always a risk that manufacturers can just dump you..... it happens with phones and cars, let's be honest. My belief is that for long term usage, an Android unit is still the best way to go, but opinions n'all.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #8
Tyetiger
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 07 335xi MperorTuning Stage 2

Any suggestions for an e90 with CCC iDrive? I've been trying to find something as well. My biggest concerns have been Sound quality (I hear they tap into the AUX port), and it doesnt work with the bmw bluetooth mic for calls. It need a separate one.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #9
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe

You could also consider a universal double DIN headunit with a separate CAN bus decoder for chimes, PDC and steering wheel controls like the PAC RP4.2-BM21, Connects2 or Axxess LC-BMRC-01 and ASWC-1.

I have a 2012 135i E82 and put in a single DIN Joying 8" Android headunit because double DIN is harder to fit on the E82.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1510420

I love it because it brings the car tech and functionality up to date with the Android 8.0 OS and support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

You have to run a wire to a constant 12V source or the battery because the 12V in the BMW radio harness shuts off after 30 mins. If you only use power from the harness, the headunit will cold boot every time and lose the settings stored in volatile memory. Also, the Joying headunit has a feature to go into a low power sleep mode so that it wakes up in like 2 secs instead of a 30 sec cold full boot, as long as you connect it to constant power.

I used the PAC RP4.2-BM21 and at first the PDC didn't work but I fixed that by downgrading to an earlier firmware version. Now PDC works fine with the beeps becoming more rapid as you get closer, and all warning chimes work too. However since it's a separate unit, nothing will be integrated on the headunit such as PDC display on the screen, displaying which door is open, or heated seat control.

I also put in a Weivision trunk handle backup camera which has good 700 TVL resolution and good low light capability. There is an option to use guide lines from the camera or the headunit and I use the ones from the headunit. Trunk handle cameras are great because you don't have to drill a hole for the wires.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 08:01 AM   #10
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This looks like a lot of more work to get it to work and probably twice the cost, I'm just looking for something that is as plug and play as possible while retaining steering wheel/PDC functionality and giving me a way to play my music/GPS.
I understand that most of these android units are not properly updated after they release them but as long as spotify/google maps still work I'm happy, I don't want this to be better than my Galaxy S9.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #11
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
This looks like a lot of more work to get it to work and probably twice the cost, I'm just looking for something that is as plug and play as possible while retaining steering wheel/PDC functionality and giving me a way to play my music/GPS.
I understand that most of these android units are not properly updated after they release them but as long as spotify/google maps still work I'm happy, I don't want this to be better than my Galaxy S9.
A lot depends on if your car has logic 7 or not. If it does, then you need to figure out how you intend to either bypass the MOIST system or retrofit it into another unit.

If you don't have logic 7, you have a lot more choices with less repercussions.

The Dynavin 7 supposedly fixed all the issues with the earlier version and enhanced other options. It's been out since November 2017. I have not read one bad review on it, in this forum, thus far.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #12
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep

As far as I know it does not, since I don't see the tweeters on the doors so therefore I should not have any of the fiber optic cables behind the radio.
That Dynavin 7 seems to come in at around £600 which is a bit of a much for just another chinese android unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #13
stepheng273
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerNub View Post
I have the Xtrons running Oreo 8.0 with 4GB RAM, and an Octa Core processor based on the Cortex-A53 (sold under the Rockchip PX5 mark). You can get the Quad Core for a little bit cheaper, however while the difference in price is about £40, I would note that Quad Core is now last gen technology, but has been able to ride it out from 2012 to now (and is still finding its way into new phones). The Nexus 4 is still hanging in there for grim life.....and the Galaxy S3...
Do you have the 9" or the 7" model? I'm considering getting the 9" model for my e90 to replace my factory HU.

I haven't really been able to find any good pics of it installed other than the generic ones that xtrons has. Those don't really give a good visual of what it looks like with the rest of the interior.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #14
fmc000
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d E91

Quote:
As far as I know it does not, since I don't see the tweeters on the doors so therefore I should not have any of the fiber optic cables behind the radio.
That Dynavin 7 seems to come in at around £600 which is a bit of a much for just another chinese android unit.
Dynavin N6 and N7 units are not Android based, JFYI.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 12:27 PM   #15
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheng273 View Post
Do you have the 9" or the 7" model? I'm considering getting the 9" model for my e90 to replace my factory HU.

I haven't really been able to find any good pics of it installed other than the generic ones that xtrons has. Those don't really give a good visual of what it looks like with the rest of the interior.
I've been trying to get some pics of that installed also but not much out there.
I did find some thread on xda where the guys there mention it does not sit flush when installed (the aircon unit is a bit out) so I'm not sure if I have the will power to deal with that not being flush.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 01:46 PM   #16
stepheng273
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
I've been trying to get some pics of that installed also but not much out there.
I did find some thread on xda where the guys there mention it does not sit flush when installed (the aircon unit is a bit out) so I'm not sure if I have the will power to deal with that not being flush.

Xtrons PE9890BPL questions https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1505369

I asked a blueh in that thread since I saw that someone said he has one installed. And he posted a link to a quick video of his.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 01:56 AM   #17
Thunderbird008
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D 2005

Has anybody found a working solution on fixing very bad radio reception signal for aftermarket Head Unit Radios. I just installed 9'' XRTONS PBX9990BL Android 9 in a BMW E90 2005 model. I am new here and really frustrated with the reception.....Please assist me in making some headway with this radio.

Kind regards
Frik
Appreciate 0