E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Rebuilt front brakes in my E92

06-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #23
waterbottle1
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

shit hot mate loooks good
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:41 PM   #24
Joseph@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW 335

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #25
Ml3456
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 & 335i E93

I rebuilt some calipers a fewe years ago, not BMW, and a easy way to get the boot over the piston is to use some low pressure are into the hose connection. As you hold and press the piston on the caliper it will blow the boot over the piston. Then fit the piston into the caliper through the seal and put the boot into the piston groove. Use very low pressure. Don't want to push the piston out.

ML
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #26
Rodny
First Lieutenant
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 08 328i

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 02:15 AM   #27
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
I'm not usually a fan of painting stock calipers bright colors, but that's not bad! The 335 has big enough calipers to pull it off I guess.
Painting and adding BMW decal makes it look even more better
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #28
Sparkee
Stability is Overrated
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 328i Sedan w/MT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninny11 View Post
Vwong, or anyone,

Can you give me any hints on installing the dust boot around the lip on the caliper body successfully? I tried once, and tore two small holes in the boot. I'm waiting on a replacement and hopefully I'll find a better method. I'd appreciate any helpful comments.
I just did a rebuild of my rear calipers (E90 Sedan) and had a nightmare of a time trying to get the boots onto the calipers. First off - DO NOT GET ANY brake fluid or silicon lubricant on that part of the boot or the lip! That is key to success. Failure to keep it all clean and dry will allow the boot to slip off.

Here is what I did. I took a hose clamp and adjusted it to be the exact diameter of the lip on the boot. I then marked the diameter on the hose clamp with a pen. Next, with a hacksaw I cut off the screw assembly you use to adjust the diameter of the clamp because it interrupted the otherwise smooth edge to the band. I then clamped the hose clamp in my vise with the proper overlap (back to the mark). I drilled a 1/8" hole for a rivet, making sure the inner side of the hole was through a part of the band with solid steel as opposed to where the grooves are for the screw adjustment. This allowed me not to use a washer on the inner surface. I then pop riveted, from the inside for clearance (which was a bit tricky cause I had to do it at a bit of an angle) the clamp together giving me a steel ring of the correct diameter and a continuous edge to press against the lip. I used a washer on the outside that was small enough not to overlap the edge of the band. I also made a backing block of wood with a hole cut in it that was a bit smaller than the diameter of clamp, but big enough to go around the piston, because the clamp itself is not quite wide enough to clear the piston.

Then I stacked the riveted steel ring against the lip, the wood block with the hole in it against the steel ring and around the piston, and another solid block behind that into the caliper. Finally, I used my standard brake piston compressor tool to apply pressure to the rubber boot all the way around the caliper and press it on. It worked beautifully.

The first caliper rebuild took 3 hours, the second took about 20 minutes, with the boot installation taking about 2 minutes of that. Works on my single piston calipers, don't know about others. I now have a new tool in my arsenal.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 11:19 PM   #29
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Hey VWONG, the picture links are broken. Can you please relink them on new sites? I know it's been couple of years. Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwong View Post
The dust boots in the front calipers of my E92 had been torn for a while. I've put it off long enough. Since rust started to developed in my calipers, I decided to rebuild and paint them. The end result is pretty good IMO.

Torn dust boot (driver side)

Torn dust boot (passenger side)

New dust boot and seal

Cleaned piston

Cleaned caliper bore

New dust boot and seal installed

All painted

Front caliper painted

Rear caliper painted

Front caliper installed

Rear caliper installed

Front caliper installed with wheel

Rear caliper installed with wheel
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #30
pwner4once
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Coupe / 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4 View Post
Hey VWONG, the picture links are broken. Can you please relink them on new sites? I know it's been couple of years. Thanks man.
would be nice to get to see the pics as well since I am going through the same process as OP.
Appreciate 0