E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine stalls when going over sharp speed bumps

05-04-2023, 07:13 AM   #1
nazb
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330i

Engine stalls when going over sharp speed bumps

Hi there,

I'm quite new to posting on forums so go easy on me please

I own a 2007 E90 330i (ZF 6HP19, N52B30A magnesium valve cover) running at ~78000 miles and live in London.

I've noticed recently that when I go over those sharp parking lot speed bumps (the yellow and black ones nailed to the ground) at a relatively normal speed (~10MPH) the engine stalls with the orange check engine light coming on. I put the car in park (shift selector is still functional) and it starts right back up as normal. I checked for any error codes on my Launch CReader Elite but nothing shows up on the DME or the Transmission.

I don’t have any engine modifications (aside from the aluminium coolant flange) and I recently just did a transmission service (replacing mechatronic tube seals, mechatronics sleeve, bridge connector seal and new oil pan/ZF lifeguard 6 fluid). Besides that I’ve done the suspension (Bilstein B12 Pro kit) and the standard oil changes every 5-6k miles with new OFHG and Oil Cooler Gasket and of course air and oil filter replacement.

I’m not sure as to why this is occurring. Any thoughts? I’ve read that it could be a grounding issue, but when I go over sharp-ish humps at speed the engine runs just fine, however I noticed that the car jumped out of and back into gear when going over said bumps on motorways and carriageways at speeds higher than 50MPH. This was before I did the transmission service and that issue seems to have fixed itself. I thought maybe the transmission service would fix the speed bump issue, because I thought that going over those sharp bumps caused the trans to not know what gear it needed to be in, and hence causing a stall on the engine. But I guess that theory is out of the window lol.

If anyone has experienced this before, please let me know if there is a solution for this.

Thank you for your consideration.

Naz
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 08:54 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazb View Post
... 2007 E90 330i (ZF 6HP19, N52B30A magnesium valve cover) running at ~78000 miles and live in London. I've noticed recently that when I go over those sharp parking lot speed bumps (the yellow and black ones nailed to the ground) at a relatively normal speed (~10MPH) the engine stalls with the orange check engine light coming on. I put the car in park (shift selector is still functional) and it starts right back up as normal. I checked for any error codes on my Launch CReader Elite but nothing shows up on the DME or the Transmission.
Questions:
1) Any Fault Codes in ANY Module your CReader can connect to?
2) If so, what Freeze Frame Data is read with that fault?
3) Does anything else quit functioning, even for an instant (such as Instrument Cluster going dark), when you go over the speed bump?
4) Did you personally inspect or monitor anything done when the Battery Hold Down was installed?

If you had a battery knocking about in the battery well for some time, BEFORE it was properly secured with proper rear hold-down clamp, it is quite possible that there is a loose connection, cable or terminal at the battery, affected by the bump. Also possible something was NOT reinstalled correctly.

I will attach to NEXT Post a photo with identification of the THREE B+ cables and the Four Nuts (two 10mm T-bolt nuts for the Battery Terminals, and two 13mm nuts on the RPDP (Rear Power Distribution Panel) on top of the battery. I'll also attach a photo of the two "Transfer Points" located at the base of the battery.

I would suggest inspecting those items, and making sure you understand the function of each. If there were an interruption in the Power Supply to a Module, that could cause engine stall WITHOUT a Fault Code being saved in DME Fault Memory. If there are fault codes in ANY Module Fault Memory, those could be clues as to the cause.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 08:56 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Attached are RPDP and Transfer Point Photos (3/2007 build 328xi) per prior post.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 10:32 AM   #4
nazb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Questions:
1) Any Fault Codes in ANY Module your CReader can connect to?
2) If so, what Freeze Frame Data is read with that fault?
3) Does anything else quit functioning, even for an instant (such as Instrument Cluster going dark), when you go over the speed bump?
4) Did you personally inspect or monitor anything done when the Battery Hold Down was installed?

If you had a battery knocking about in the battery well for some time, BEFORE it was properly secured with proper rear hold-down clamp, it is quite possible that there is a loose connection, cable or terminal at the battery, affected by the bump. Also possible something was NOT reinstalled correctly.

I will attach to NEXT Post a photo with identification of the THREE B+ cables and the Four Nuts (two 10mm T-bolt nuts for the Battery Terminals, and two 13mm nuts on the RPDP (Rear Power Distribution Panel) on top of the battery. I'll also attach a photo of the two "Transfer Points" located at the base of the battery.

I would suggest inspecting those items, and making sure you understand the function of each. If there were an interruption in the Power Supply to a Module, that could cause engine stall WITHOUT a Fault Code being saved in DME Fault Memory. If there are fault codes in ANY Module Fault Memory, those could be clues as to the cause.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Hi George,

Thank you for your quick response!

So to answer your questions:

1) Off the top of my head it there's only errors related to CCC/CIC or something (I've installed the AVIN android head unit for Apple CarPlay/Android Auto etc, forgot to mention that lol) but nothing that would immediately lead to anything conclusive.
2) Quite new to OBDII scanners, not sure if you can help with that one but I've not been able to use the reader while driving to replicate the issue. Maybe I'll try that this weekend or something.
3) Nothing else stops working, my instrument cluster doesn't even flicker and my head unit remains powered on.
4) I didn't think you had seen my previous post from ages back lol. I installed the battery hold down myself, which was well before this issue started. I ordered the hold down parts on the 3rd of Jan, had them installed ASAP when they came in maybe a few days to a week later. I also have had the battery replaced last week for a slightly larger one (went from 72Ah 680A to 86Ah 800A) to accommodate for my new head unit and dash cam (Viofo A139). The issue of course still persists.

Just a note as to when I started noticing this issue: I used to go over those humps really slowly because the shocks were toast and they needed replacement. So never really experienced the issue. It wasn't until I installed my Bilstein B12 kit on the car that I wanted to be a little more confident and I went over the bumps at a regular speed. I installed the Bilstein Kit on Feb 13th and noticed the issue shortly after that. So this issue could have easily been present for a long ass time.

Looking forward to your reply.

Naz
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 05:51 AM   #5
nazb
Rep

Bump on this?
Appreciate 0