E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Wheel balancing - question?

03-09-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Wheel balancing - question?

As I didn't want to use my expensive Michelin Cup tyres for my 2k+ mile trip to Switzerland, I put on some old PS2's that I had. They had about 3mm of tread and were well used.

I had these fitted just before I went and immediately knew they hadn't been done right as I had wobble from the wheel and through the car at any speed above 75mph. This indicated all wheels were out of balance.

By the time I got to Switzerland it was driving me mad so I found somewhere to balance the wheels again. This made the problem less apparent but it still wasn't/isn't perfect.

As this didn't happen when I had the Cups on the car, is it possible that it's harder to get a perfectly balanced wheel when the tyres have previously been used as opposed to brand new?

I will now have the Cups refitted and I hope these will balance correctly!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 06:02 AM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmball View Post
As I didn't want to use my expensive Michelin Cup tyres for my 2k+ mile trip to Switzerland, I put on some old PS2's that I had. They had about 3mm of tread and were well used.

I had these fitted just before I went and immediately knew they hadn't been done right as I had wobble from the wheel and through the car at any speed above 75mph. This indicated all wheels were out of balance.

By the time I got to Switzerland it was driving me mad so I found somewhere to balance the wheels again. This made the problem less apparent but it still wasn't/isn't perfect.

As this didn't happen when I had the Cups on the car, is it possible that it's harder to get a perfectly balanced wheel when the tyres have previously been used as opposed to brand new?

I will now have the Cups refitted and I hope these will balance correctly!

It shouldn't make much difference whether the tyres are old or new. I've just refitted my PS2s on a new set of wheels, and they balanced up fine. It's very important that the balancing machine is calibrated every morning - most companies don't do this. You should try one more time to get the wheels rebalanced before going back to the Cups.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
You should try one more time to get the wheels rebalanced before going back to the Cups.
I've sorta got to go back to the cups now as the rears are decked! Bang on the limit after that trip so I used a whole 1-1.5mm in 2k miles!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 06:19 AM   #4
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I've sorta got to go back to the cups now as the rears are decked! Bang on the limit after that trip so I used a whole 1-1.5mm in 2k miles!
If you went through that much tread so quickly, you might want to have a look at the alignment - if the alignment is out, that can also lead to a slight wobble at speed. I'd do that the same time you're putting the Cups back on - you don't want premature tyre wear!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 06:25 AM   #5
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
If you went through that much tread so quickly, you might want to have a look at the alignment - if the alignment is out, that can also lead to a slight wobble at speed. I'd do that the same time you're putting the Cups back on - you don't want premature tyre wear!

Oh...I never thought alignment would cause wobble. Is that a full KDS alignment (aren't they like £200+)?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 06:32 AM   #6
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oh...I never thought alignment would cause wobble. Is that a full KDS alignment (aren't they like £200+)?
All you need to check is the front and rear toes and combined thrust angle... find a good shop with a Hunter alignment machine (so not your local Kwik Fit) and that'll be fine...
Appreciate 0