E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Get A Little More Sound From the Exhaust

03-27-2020, 08:16 AM   #1
bigez96
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Get A Little More Sound From the Exhaust

I have a 2007 BMW 328xi. I currently have a muffler delete which I really like! It's not super loud and allows some pops and burbles. I am also planning on a secondary cat delete to get some more pops and burbles. My dilemma is that I would also like a touch more volume. Some forums suggested doing a resonator delete as well, and while the sound clips I've heard sound really good in my opinion, I'm worried its going to be TOO loud. My neighbor is a 70 year old retired sheriff, and I already get some glares as I drive by. The police here don't bother people too much about exhausts, unless you just sound like straight trash, like a straight piped 2002 Focus.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? For example, would replacing the resonator with something like a y pipe with a Vibrant 1792 Resonator make a difference?

In an ideal world, I think I would do a secondary cat delete and get the PE Exhaust, but that is not in the budget, as I'm trying to keep this under $500-600 with labor.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
bigez96
Rep

UPDATE: Another idea, I could remove the cats and resonator, and install an aftermarket muffler, like a Magnaflow... If anyone has any experience with what it might sound like, I'd appreciate your input
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2020, 02:30 PM   #3
bobbytomorow
Greatest Internet Poster
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5

This is similar to what I want to do for its cost effectiveness...delete the secondary cats and resonator (free) and swap the stock muffler for a staight through magnaflow or something similar ($200 including installation).

I'll be following this thread
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
HydroxFrost
@Lucky.330i
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigez96 View Post
UPDATE: Another idea, I could remove the cats and resonator, and install an aftermarket muffler, like a Magnaflow... If anyone has any experience with what it might sound like, I'd appreciate your input
Headers and a secondary cat delete would do the trick, keep the stock resonator and get a higher flow muffler than stock. Trust me you'll enjoy it more that way. That and it'll net you some more power.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #5
bigez96
Rep

So, I went to my local repair shop today and got some work done. They were able to delete the res and install a Magnaflow muffler. Due to local laws, they couldn't touch the secondary cats.

First impressions are that it is much quieter than my muffler delete, however Magnaflows definitely need a decent amount of time to break-in, so I'm expecting it to get a little louder. It still has that snarly straight-six tone that the muffler delete had, but at a much quieter volume. I got a bit of popping and burbling with my muffler delete, and I still had some with this set up, but it was quieter and had a deeper tone.

I am still planning on removing my secondary cats with the help of some local people, which should help me get where I'm trying to get with this set-up. If you want your car to sound good, but you don't want to draw a ton of attention to yourself, this is definitely the way to go. I don't feel like I need to be light on the gas pedal when there's a cop near me anymore!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 08:26 PM   #6
WhiteBMWblackCoffee
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigez96 View Post
So, I went to my local repair shop today and got some work done. They were able to delete the res and install a Magnaflow muffler. Due to local laws, they couldn't touch the secondary cats.

First impressions are that it is much quieter than my muffler delete, however Magnaflows definitely need a decent amount of time to break-in, so I'm expecting it to get a little louder. It still has that snarly straight-six tone that the muffler delete had, but at a much quieter volume. I got a bit of popping and burbling with my muffler delete, and I still had some with this set up, but it was quieter and had a deeper tone.

I am still planning on removing my secondary cats with the help of some local people, which should help me get where I'm trying to get with this set-up. If you want your car to sound good, but you don't want to draw a ton of attention to yourself, this is definitely the way to go. I don't feel like I need to be light on the gas pedal when there's a cop near me anymore!
I'm interested in doing something similar to this, do you know if it would requrie a retune after?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 05:17 AM   #7
bigez96
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBMWblackCoffee View Post
I'm interested in doing something similar to this, do you know if it would requrie a retune after?
I'm no expert when it comes to tuning, so don't quote me, but I really wouldn't think it would. Unless you're also doing headers, you're not really making that large of a change. And even if you do headers, I would think you could run without a retune, unless you're really trying to squeeze out a few more horses.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #8
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Keep in mind our cars have pretty good sound deadening. My friend put a Magnaflow on her car (325i N52), and it was fairly quiet inside. I couldn't believe how loud it was outside the car. I could hear her driving down the street a mile a way. The car almost didn't pass MA inspection because of the exhaust, which was just a simple muffler change, since everything else was stock.

There is a difference between being loud and sounding good. You want to have a car with a nice rumble, not the one people snicker at when you drive by. Drive around for a few thousand miles with the resonator delete and Magnaflow before deciding to remove the cats.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:02 AM   #9
bigez96
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Keep in mind our cars have pretty good sound deadening. My friend put a Magnaflow on her car (325i N52), and it was fairly quiet inside. I couldn't believe how loud it was outside the car. I could hear her driving down the street a mile a way. The car almost didn't pass MA inspection because of the exhaust, which was just a simple muffler change, since everything else was stock.

There is a difference between being loud and sounding good. You want to have a car with a nice rumble, not the one people snicker at when you drive by. Drive around for a few thousand miles with the resonator delete and Magnaflow before deciding to remove the cats.
I will keep that in mind. Maybe after my Magnaflow breaks in a little, I will have a buddy do a few drive-bys in my car so I can hear for myself what it actually sounds like from the outside. I don't want to get too crazy, I'm actually starting to like my toned down exhaust compared to the muffler delete I had.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #10
logantheodorou
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 328i

I'm 17 turning 18, for referance.

I had a muffler delete on my e90 328i for about a year. Today I went with the resonator and secondary cat delete. To put it simply: I LOVE IT!

I can keep it quiet if I need to but it just sounds a lot beefier and I get gunshot burbles if I feather the gas. No rasp whatsoever. Most of the vids on youtube with rasp are either running catless headers along with this setup or just have bad welds/bends that leak/vibrate.

The drone is BAREABLE, I will not lie and say it is non existant. I think it is the perfect level of loudness for a daily. I don't get the "ear-splitting headaches" from the "unbarable drone" that some of the old timers on here depict. Personally, if I turn the radio up a little bit, I can't even hear the exhaust at all.

Also, the videos do NOT do this setup justice. Try to hear one in person if you want to hear what it really sounds like.

Bottom line: if you want to be loud and obnoxious, do it!

Last edited by logantheodorou; 04-07-2020 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 10:44 PM   #11
Leanped
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i ST MT

Like logantheodorou, I also have a res, muffler, and secondary delete on my N52.

Its REALLY nice and doesn't just burble anymore, it will pop if you're careful.

I disagree on the drone though, I think it's way too loud to just leave open. I get looks on startup and calm driving, and the drone on the highway with the short gearing is really noticeable (3k at 80mph is loud)

Instead of doing a full delete, put a cheap cutout valve before the muffler and wire it through the trunk to your console. The muffler is amazing on these and it sounds almost stock with the valve closed. It's like opening a Christmas present every time you hit the button.

Always good to stay safe. Hope this helps someone.
Appreciate 0