E90Post

Euromotive Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > COVID-19 and your job

03-08-2020, 10:34 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

COVID-19 and your job

Let's keep politics out of this. There's already a thread for that in the Politics section. I'm just interested to hear about how your employer is handing it, or planning to handle it. Any major contingency plans? Changes to meetings/travel/etc?

I work at a university and Spring Break is coming up. Students will scatter to the four corners and there are bound to be some who come back with it. Plus there is the Univ. of Illinois just up the road. It isn't a question of if, but when and how bad we get hit.

That said, I'm more concerned with how the university will handle it than I am about the dangers of the virus itself. Twice since we've been in IL we've contracted Norovirus. The first time it swept through Wifey's library and the second it ravaged my building. Now that's a nasty, nasty disease that makes life miserable for a few days, but otherwise leaves you with no lasting issues. Wifey did spend a night in the hospital when she got it, so it's nothing to brush off. Still, far from lethal. We've had severe respiratory infections as well. Again, picked up from the university atmosphere. In neither instance did the university do anything to prevent the spread of the diseases. They just let them run their course. That's why I'm a bit lost about the current brouhaha surrounding COVID-19. Granted, the mortality rate is higher than the flu or Norovirus, but mostly for certain at-risk groups (of which being an old fart, I'm sort of included).

So what have you been hearing from the office about it? Has it changed your plans for travel or conferences?

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2020, 10:40 PM   #2
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

People are being told to stay home and work if possible. I can’t so I will be going to work
Appreciate 1
M_Six4141.50

03-08-2020, 10:45 PM   #3
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
People are being told to stay home and work if possible. I canít so I will be going to work
Yeah, if you're from Seattle, I can see it being more of an issue there. But not everyone can work remotely. Maybe the traffic will be lighter, at least.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 10:46 PM   #4
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Yeah, if you're from Seattle, I can see it being more of an issue there. But not everyone can work remotely. Maybe the traffic will be lighter, at least.
Lol yeah and less people at the gym and stores. I just hope they don’t shut down gyms and other places like they did in Italy.

I work for the government so they are really pushing for people to stay home. This week will be interesting to see what the next step will be.
Appreciate 2
M_Six4141.50

03-08-2020, 10:53 PM   #5
Turkish Pickle
i want the girl, but not what she's going through
United_States
Rep
Drives: MKS V6 AWD - F10 525d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Let's keep politics out of this. There's already a thread for that in the Politics section. I'm just interested to hear about how your employer is handing it, or planning to handle it. Any major contingency plans? Changes to meetings/travel/etc?

I work at a university and Spring Break is coming up. Students will scatter to the four corners and there are bound to be some who come back with it. Plus there is the Univ. of Illinois just up the road. It isn't a question of if, but when and how bad we get hit.

Interesting you mention that, I'm there now - the school has been extremely low-key about it. My buddy at Tufts said they were thinking of cancelling school, and over here it's like "oh yeah by the way there's the corona going around just fyi"

They did call back students studying abroad though. In terms of travel plans, me and my friends were thinking of Mexico for Spring Break, but we all decided against it because we realized if we got hit with it we'd much rather be in mainland US. Quite a lot of my friends are flying to Miami and from what it seems it is a prime destination this year because similar to Mexico in terms of the party scene but with more healthcare. Plus, flights from O'Hare were $135 a few days ago so it's really cheap to go there too.

But yeah i don't know which university you're from, but I'd argue here the administration is very laidback (in many other areas too but let's not get into Politics) in terms of the V I R U S
Appreciate 1
M_Six4141.50

03-08-2020, 11:00 PM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
People are being told to stay home and work if possible. I canít so I will be going to work
+1
CEO sent email telling people to wfh but can still come in should they choose to. Iíll be coming in. Easier to work on campus.
Appreciate 2
M_Six4141.50
obert1355.00

03-08-2020, 11:06 PM   #7
Nuckle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

I have to go to Atlanta tomorrow to a major trade show. I am not super happy about it but I am going to do what I have to do and I know Jesus will be with me. I am still unsure about the actual danger so until that changes it will be business as normal.
Appreciate 2
M_Six4141.50
Germanauto4302.50

03-08-2020, 11:18 PM   #8
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Interesting you mention that, I'm there now - the school has been extremely low-key about it. My buddy at Tufts said they were thinking of cancelling school, and over here it's like "oh yeah by the way there's the corona going around just fyi"

They did call back students studying abroad though. In terms of travel plans, me and my friends were thinking of Mexico for Spring Break, but we all decided against it because we realized if we got hit with it we'd much rather be in mainland US. Quite a lot of my friends are flying to Miami and from what it seems it is a prime destination this year because similar to Mexico in terms of the party scene but with more healthcare. Plus, flights from O'Hare were $135 a few days ago so it's really cheap to go there too.

But yeah i don't know which university you're from, but I'd argue here the administration is very laidback (in many other areas too but let's not get into Politics) in terms of the V I R U S
My BIL just had to fly from Orlando to Boston for a funeral. He got a ticket for $159 r/t. If it weren't for the virus, I'd be a traveling fool at those prices. Of course if it weren't for the virus, there wouldn't be such low prices.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 3
      03-08-2020, 11:30 PM   #9
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT

The panic is only going to get worse.
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
obert1355.00
Germanauto4302.50
Poiseuille4438.50
CMBX2331.50
Ronstein165.50
paliknight1565.50
MassNerd101.00

03-08-2020, 11:30 PM   #10
Gesler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 6MT

My university has shifted classes to online and is encouraging MDs to use telemedicine.
Appreciate 1
vreihen162085.50

03-09-2020, 12:39 AM   #11
Turkish Pickle
i want the girl, but not what she's going through
United_States
Rep
Drives: MKS V6 AWD - F10 525d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesler View Post
My university has shifted classes to online and is encouraging MDs to use telemedicine.
How can I convince my school to do the same thing so I don't take three midterms this upcoming week?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 12:52 AM   #12
mc-m3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92

I haven't noticed anything about travel (probably just missed it since I don't travel for work). We do have an office in Seattle, and they have told people to work from home. My position is 100% work from home (I have never set foot in the Seattle office) so I will continue from home as usual.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 03:40 AM   #13
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: RS 5

We're expecting to park few wide- and narrowbody aircrafts, no 3rd party supplier work as long its airworthy, no new colleages, no duty travels, shortened work, reducing of overtime working hours, thinning of routes.

I///M the infidel, your BMW-dealer had warned you about
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2020, 05:55 AM   #14
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

You can look the web sites of the universities to see what they’re doing. I know MIT has put out a plan, others also must have.

My company banned handshaking over a week ago, began other social distancing (minimize in-person meetings), restricted business travel (prohibition is coming), put more hand sanitizers out and provided sanitizing wipes in all offices/cubes. Also have cleaning service sanitizing all door knobs, public tables/counters, hand rails, etc. daily. Any employee with any respiratory symptom is encourage to stay home. We likely will replenish sick time when needed. Sick employees can and will be sent home. We have laptops (etc) for any employee who might need to be home (school closed, self quarantine) but can work. Limited visitors to our buildings, no unsolicited visitors. I have visited our emergency HQ to be sure it is ready to go, however I don’t expect it to be activated.
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2020, 06:00 AM   #15
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
You can look the web sites of the universities to see what theyíre doing. I know MIT has put out a plan, others also must have.

My company banned handshaking over a week ago, began other social distancing (minimize in-person meetings), restricted business travel (prohibition is coming), put more hand sanitizers out and provided sanitizing wipes in all offices/cubes. Also have cleaning service sanitizing all door knobs, public tables/counters, hand rails, etc. daily. Any employee with any respiratory symptom is encourage to stay home. We likely will replenish sick time when needed. Sick employees can and will be sent home. We have laptops (etc) for any employee who might need to be home (school closed, self quarantine) but can work. Limited visitors to our buildings, no unsolicited visitors. I have visited our emergency HQ to be sure it is ready to go, however I donít expect it to be activated.

Mine has done mostly the same. Traveling only for the most necessary business, and when back you work from home for a set number of days before returning to the facility.
      03-09-2020, 06:03 AM   #16
vreihen16
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I have heard through the grapevine that RPI is cancelling all 40+ person (?) outside group events on their campus...including group Admissions Tours and new student orientation events.

My employer is on the books with the same old statement that they do not have a work from home policy for staff/admin employees, and don't anyone think that this virus will change anything. (Sore subject, since I have been personally leading the push for a WFH policy for 10 years.)

About 90% of our brick-and-mortar classes use the online CMS for handouts and between-classes student communication, so it really isn't a huge problem to get the remaining 10% online-ready. Whether the faculty switch their curriculum to asynchronous or go with synchronous video is the big question (and their personal choice).

I know that we have already pulled the plug on all summer study abroad programs, and that's the only official/formal action so far.....
      03-09-2020, 06:43 AM   #17
JP10
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Similar to what others have mentioned. Stay home if you're sick. More sanitation stations. No travel unless necessary. Our GM said if he sees that you look sick (even though the pollen is heavy as shit here), he is going to send you home. And you can not return unless you have a doctor's note stating you're clear. A little excessive, but I can do a lot of work from home as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 06:43 AM   #18
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [5.00]
this past friday we had 15 min meeting on Coronavirus.
if your sick, doesnt matter what it is- stay home
sneeze, cough into a tissue
wash your hands all the time
Appreciate 1
wrickem1374.00

03-09-2020, 07:25 AM   #19
wrickem
shoots lasers
Rep
Drives: what he wants to

My company (in NYC) sent a memo on Friday telling us that if we want to work from home, we can. All international travel should be postponed if possible and that anybody who is coming in to work should bring their laptops home nightly just in case. Also we got tips on washing our hands (my mother would have been proud of them )

We have hand sanitizers all over the place (I hope they have refills, because good luck with that)..AND they've finally allowed us to have paper towels in the bathrooms!
wdb2121.00

03-09-2020, 07:41 AM   #20
tim99ws6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5 Comp

All our business trips at client locations have been cancelled. I expect to see our main offices in NYC and NJ closed this week.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 07:59 AM   #21
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Mine has said nothing about it...and we have a lot of employees that travel overseas a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 08:05 AM   #22
Alfisti
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
I have to go to Atlanta tomorrow to a major trade show. I am not super happy about it but I am going to do what I have to do and I know Jesus will be with me. I am still unsure about the actual danger so until that changes it will be business as normal.
Does Jesus fly business or coach?
Appreciate 7
vreihen162085.50
VisualEcho1450.50
W///4353.00
minn196958.00
b92491.50
ny325619.50