E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > COVID-19 and your job

03-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #683
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
A company wide email went out today. I believe it was from a higher up in the India office, but it mentioned employee safety is the highest priority while also telling managers to keep a close eye on their employees since we're remote for now. WTF is that shit?

Don't hire em if ya can't trust em, but this is 2020. Working remote should be more common than it is. I should have been remote from day 1. No reason for me having to go into the stupid office.

"Word of caution here, if we find that employees are not working or non-productivity while working home, strict actions will be taken against such employees.

All the Manager & Team leads are requested to monitor the performance of their team closely.

The safety and well-being of XXXX employees is our top priority. Please follow your local area instructions and stay safe. Please use common sense. Wash your hands often and use hand sanitizer. Practice social distancing if you have to leave your residence. "
We gave our employees the opposite message, but delivered directly by supervisors instead of an impersonal email. “We’ve never had the ability to work from home in the past, but in these circumstances we want to ensure you and all employees remain safe and healthy. So we are implementing work at home for all employees that can. If we all stay productive and do our jobs like we know we should, we might be able to keep work from home, or have it more often (like during weather emergencies). So, don’t fuck this up for everybody else by being “that guy.” Again delivered verbally by the supervisor.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2020, 12:19 PM   #684
Capt Crunch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Can I just get a "FUCK SKYPE FOR BUSINESS" in the thread real quick?
You got it man. FUCK SKYPE FOR BUSINESS.
Appreciate 4
      03-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #685
Now_Rudi
Soy un perdedor
Rep
Drives: Flaming stock car

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
PD issued IT holsters and a sidearm. The war on COVID-19 just got REAL
I want to know who issued you that shirt.
Rmtt7255.50

03-27-2020, 12:25 PM   #686
upstatedoc
pew pew
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I want to know who issued you that shirt.
my question is the chain attached to the holster or something else
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 2
Now_Rudi7621.50
Rmtt7255.50

03-27-2020, 12:30 PM   #687
Now_Rudi
Soy un perdedor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
It's half of his handcuff belly-chain that he couldn't get off after leaving whatever asylum he stole that shirt from.

We're just giving you a hard time Wede.
cmyx6go4273.50

03-27-2020, 12:38 PM   #688
vreihen16
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Can I just get a "FUCK SKYPE FOR BUSINESS" in the thread real quick?
There's nothing wrong with that fine Microslop product!

Have you tried the latest MacOS client?????
      03-27-2020, 12:40 PM   #689
Turkish Pickle
i want the girl, but not what she's going through
United_States
Rep
Drives: MKS V6 AWD - F10 525d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
There's nothing wrong with that fine Microslop product!

Have you tried the latest MacOS client?????
Yes, that's why I had to join the call by dialing in

This is horrible lol the software doesn't recognize the plugin is installed. I reached out to my school's IT support, they said I can't use it because I have Google (which was the only option when I started school), and that I'd have to convert my account to an Exchange one to enable Skype for Business.

Lucky for us, the client for my consulting group can't use Zoom (company policy) so lord knows how we'll fix this...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 01:00 PM   #690
vreihen16
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Nice! Congrats - did you buy it off B&H? For whatever reason, they had $100 off from the education price when I was buying it, I think I paid about $2250 for the base model with tax.
No, PC Richard (a NY metro area appliance chain). I bought a refrigerator from them many moons ago, and they had a 0% interest for 12 months offer if you applied for their credit card. Never turn down free money when they offer it. The credit card company keeps pestering with new 0% interest for 12-month offers to buy more from them, and this month's deals included the 16" MBP.

Apple is strict about controlling prices among their authorized retailers, and occasionally lets them have sales like this where the retailers are below Apple's own prices and even below education pricing. I think that it was 11% off the Apple Store price this time. Either way, a sale plus free interest is too much to pass up for something that is fast becoming a necessity in this new WFH reality.....
      03-27-2020, 01:57 PM   #691
AlpineWhite_SJ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
If you get your work done in 4 hours your boss should be fired for not giving you the correct amount of work.
Not always possible if your role requires waiting on responses from others or you’re constrained by budgets. Again, if the required output is getting done half the time they don’t even realize it.
/// 2018 Alpine White on Black F80 M3 - 6MT ZCP ZEP / 3D Design billet handbrake lever, pedals, CF side skirts & rear diffuser / Sterckenn gloss black lip / IND alpine white front reflectors /// 2020 Donnington Grey on Black F97 X3MC ///
Appreciate 1
Now_Rudi7621.50

03-27-2020, 02:25 PM   #692
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Not sure how I feel about this. Seems like everyone but me has been told to work from home or you need to WFH and come in a couple days a week. I have not been told anything but to keep coming to work and they will be putting me in a little office with one other person come Monday to help me out. I don't need help right now lol
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 03:00 PM   #693
Now_Rudi
Soy un perdedor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Not always possible if your role requires waiting on responses from others or you’re constrained by budgets. Again, if the required output is getting done half the time they don’t even realize it.
This right here is my everyday. My job consists of planning, research, reaching out to vendors/contractors for material or work to be performed, then quotes, then scheduling. Most of my day is spent waiting on other people. It's the downtime in between that frustrates me. I don't mind it as I'm paid for my time, it's just the thought in the back of my mind of all the things I could be accomplishing personally during that time.

The vast majority of my job could be done from home. If I'm honest here, I actually only need to be onsite for about 10-12 hours a week, yet I'm here at least 55/week.
      03-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #694
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Crunch View Post
You got it man. FUCK SKYPE FOR BUSINESS.
+1. We use it too & what a POS
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 06:24 PM   #695
dinonz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
+1. We use it too & what a POS
I thought it was deprecated now? We moved off it onto Teams as it was becoming unsupported?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 06:26 PM   #696
TrevorM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Got an update midday today; on our team of 5, 3 are getting hard hour cuts. 2 of the 3 cut will be down to 16 hours a week, and the remaining 1 is down to 20. My boss and I, both developers, will stay at a steady 40 hours. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about potentially losing hours. I work for a great company that has offered 4 weeks paid "leave" for those that can't work during this crisis, but idk how the "partial time" will work, I have bills that have to be paid. I have almost a years worth of expenses in my savings, but that's supposed to be used later this year for down payment on a house. I didn't think this whole Corona thing would impact me in the way it is currently doing. I couldn't imagine if I was actually unable to work and had to file some form of unemployment.

MANY americans are in this position right now.
Appreciate 1
Conissah1084.00

03-27-2020, 08:40 PM   #697
wdb
dances with roads
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '07 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
I thought it was deprecated now? We moved off it onto Teams as it was becoming unsupported?
Teams also sux.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2020, 09:42 PM   #698
Turkish Pickle
i want the girl, but not what she's going through
United_States
Rep
Drives: MKS V6 AWD - F10 525d xDrive

Quote:
No sir it still is in use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Teams also sux.
Yes it does - nationals people suggested we move to Teams, almost everyone said "you can do it when we graduate"
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 09:46 PM   #699
premier3is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
A guy came to work super sick today. I said why did you come to work? He says I did not know what to do. He was sent home right away and my office got cleaned out.

Complete FAIL
What a moron, are ppl really this stupid? It's slapped all over tv and new and media to NOT go in to work if you're even the slightest bit sick.... everyone is mainly working from home now but damn how stupid are ppl.
Appreciate 2
obert1355.00
Rmtt7255.50

03-27-2020, 09:53 PM   #700
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Critical medical would completely collapse if everyone that thought they were a little sick stayed home. Half the staff think they are dying every other day.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2020, 09:47 AM   #701
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
It's half of his handcuff belly-chain that he couldn't get off after leaving whatever asylum he stole that shirt from.

We're just giving you a hard time Wede.
Are you talking shit about my belly? The gym has been closed

The chain keeps my wallet out of female hands

It was Friday, my wife gets to dress me funny. Hawaiian shirts used to get one :59 admin leave on Friday, it's a habit that is hard to break
Appreciate 2
upstatedoc4019.00
Now_Rudi7621.50

03-28-2020, 04:34 PM   #702
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
We were supposed to move to Teams too, but I have not heard anything on it in months
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #703
TrevorM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

finished my last weekend of back to back 13 hr shifts.

My thoughts on our hospital. ER is running pretty efficient, we have gotten over the initial "omg we have very little supplies" debacle. I use my n95 all day, surgical over the top of it, if i'm doing a positive patient, or suspect case. I walk around with a surgical all in all areas of the hospital as well. I think most folks are getting the idea to stay home, ER isn't busy. The tent which i had mentioned last week, is up and running is flowing well.

I did have to go up to ICU/CCU, and out of 16 beds, i believe about 12 are Covid patients, all on vents. I'am deeply worried about the nurses, stress level is high, they are in the rooms for god knows how long to do what they need to do, with full gear on, close contact with patients.. i will pray for them. They also have the IV machines outside the doors of each room, so that way they dont have to don full PPE just to make an adjustment in IV therapy by going inside the room. I just hope we can soon get more PPE.

All in all, not bad. I think cases are going to keep shooting thru the roof the next 2-3 weeks, and then level off. Or i'll pray for that at least... Goodnight guys, be safe.
Appreciate 8
obert1355.00
Nuckle1007.50
rebekahb488.00
RickFLM44819.00
vreihen162086.50
upstatedoc4019.00
wdb2123.00

03-29-2020, 10:59 PM   #704
rebekahb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
finished my last weekend of back to back 13 hr shifts.

My thoughts on our hospital. ER is running pretty efficient, we have gotten over the initial "omg we have very little supplies" debacle. I use my n95 all day, surgical over the top of it, if i'm doing a positive patient, or suspect case. I walk around with a surgical all in all areas of the hospital as well. I think most folks are getting the idea to stay home, ER isn't busy. The tent which i had mentioned last week, is up and running is flowing well.

I did have to go up to ICU/CCU, and out of 16 beds, i believe about 12 are Covid patients, all on vents. I'am deeply worried about the nurses, stress level is high, they are in the rooms for god knows how long to do what they need to do, with full gear on, close contact with patients.. i will pray for them. They also have the IV machines outside the doors of each room, so that way they dont have to don full PPE just to make an adjustment in IV therapy by going inside the room. I just hope we can soon get more PPE.

All in all, not bad. I think cases are going to keep shooting thru the roof the next 2-3 weeks, and then level off. Or i'll pray for that at least... Goodnight guys, be safe.
Thank you for the update and all that you're doing to take care of patients! I hope you get some rest.
Appreciate 1
ny325619.50