E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Charge Pipe - Diverter Valves vs BOV

05-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
TommyV9
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Charge Pipe - Diverter Valves vs BOV

I'm picking up my new to me 08 335i tomorrow. It's got a few mods - JB4 running G5, BMS catless downpipe and dual cone filters. It has the stock plastic charge pipe so I'm going to replace it. From the reading I've done on the forum, I'm thinking about keeping the stock DV setup as the BOV are significantly louder. I'd prefer not to produce extra noise. Are there any other pros or cons for either setup?

Regarding DV's, are the stock DV's ok, or is it a significant improvement to go with aftermarket DV's? I'd appreciate recommendations on Charge pipe and DV's. I'm probably leaning BMS on the charge pipe, but would consider others based on input here.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
Silent9n54
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV9 View Post
I'm picking up my new to me 08 335i tomorrow. It's got a few mods - JB4 running G5, BMS catless downpipe and dual cone filters. It has the stock plastic charge pipe so I'm going to replace it. From the reading I've done on the forum, I'm thinking about keeping the stock DV setup as the BOV are significantly louder. I'd prefer not to produce extra noise. Are there any other pros or cons for either setup?

Regarding DV's, are the stock DV's ok, or is it a significant improvement to go with aftermarket DV's? I'd appreciate recommendations on Charge pipe and DV's. I'm probably leaning BMS on the charge pipe, but would consider others based on input here.

TIA

You should definitely replace the charge pipe, in my case i wasnt a fan of loud BOVs so i upgraded oem dvs to turbosmart plumb back DVs, they are super quiet, maybe a touch louder than stock DVs. Stock DVs are ok, i ran mine up to 16-17 psi and it was holding boost, but since i was changing charge pipe ( VRSF ) i decided to upgrade the DVs as well because i was gonna push more PSI. People have run stock DVs past 20 psi ... some hold pressure some dont, depends on the car and mileage i guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV9 View Post

TIA
The STOCK DV are ok but as they age and as they are used they can leak.

Our most popular Charge Pipe is VRSF and ER.

Some people switch to BOV for sound while others switch because it's cheaper then most aftermarket DV options.

Whichever route you decide has little effect on performance ( assuming the stock DV aren't leaking). At that point it's just personal preference on sound looks and budget.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 05-18-2018 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Your car has DCI. After I installed mine, I could hear the stock DVs very clearly through the cone filters. A few weeks later, I replaced the CP and kept the stock DVs, except that I vented to atmosphere, as opposed to back into the intake. VTA is only slightly louder than plumb back, with DCI.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #5
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

for FBO, stock divert valves is fine. I would just spend the $3 and replace the seals in the DV. I would recommend the VRSF chargepipe with stock DV's. If you the bov sound, you can disconnect one of the dvs from the intake hose and cap the hose.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 12:03 AM   #6
Kyrie535
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535xi sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
for FBO, stock divert valves is fine. I would just spend the $3 and replace the seals in the DV. I would recommend the VRSF chargepipe with stock DV's. If you the bov sound, you can disconnect one of the dvs from the intake hose and cap the hose.
I know this was a very long time ago but can you (or anyone) expand on the part where you said you could disconnect one of the dv’s from the intake hose and cap the hose, does it matter which hose you disconnect? And do you mean just disconnect it and leave it at that and cap the hose itself or the spot on the chargepipe the hose goes into, and is there any negative effects of doing this as oppose to just getting a bov compatible charge pipe and getting a bov

Also how much noise does it produce compared to a bov setup?

Haven’t made up my mind yet and that would make my decision

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 12:21 AM   #7
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrie535 View Post
I know this was a very long time ago but can you (or anyone) expand on the part where you said you could disconnect one of the dv’s from the intake hose and cap the hose, does it matter which hose you disconnect? And do you mean just disconnect it and leave it at that and cap the hose itself or the spot on the chargepipe the hose goes into, and is there any negative effects of doing this as oppose to just getting a bov compatible charge pipe and getting a bov

Also how much noise does it produce compared to a bov setup?

Haven’t made up my mind yet and that would make my decision

Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIQmnfRSlZ0
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 10:01 PM   #8
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I went with a Tail BOV just to get that "woosh" sound when the pressure dumps off. I'm running an E40 that's peaking at around 20psi.....not sure if the stock DV's would have issues or not.

Once you get used to it....it's pretty easy to control how loud it is....as long as you are easy on the gas, it's as quiet as the stock DV's....when you are hard on the gas, it lets you know you have a big BOV.

My wife says it sounds stupid....like the car is sneezing.....I like it 😁
Appreciate 0