E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > whistle/squeel, loud engine after high rpms

07-14-2020, 01:41 PM   #1
nic_m3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i, Jeep YJ

Exclamation whistle/squeel, loud engine after high rpms

Hello,

I have a 2011 328i that I've owned for 5 years. It has not given me any trouble the entirety of the time I've owned it. Currently has 98,000 miles and has been sitting in my garage for 2 weeks short of 2 years. A week ago I changed the oil as well as the brake fluid and had an emissions inspection.

I have put about 800 miles on it in the last 2 weeks, maybe 300 since oil change. Last night I was driving along a stretch of highway with multiple stoplights and letting that engine roar. Well it clearly was happy with my being heavy on the gas as it started squealing with what sounded like a belt or pulley. I kept shutting it off at every intersection because the whistle/squeal was obnoxious. Which the car wasn't happy about either because it then threw a check engine light. It also had a very rough idle accompanied by engine shaking when parked. I was also able to pinpoint the squeal/whistle coming from the back passenger side of the engine itself. At my destination I left it parked for an hour when I came back out no rough idle and no whistle/squeal.

I drove the few miles to where home and after about 5 miles the whistle/squeel came back. I got home and had codes p054B "cold start "b" camshaft position timing over-retarded bank 1 and code p0015 exhaust camshaft position timing-over-retarded (bank 1) erased the codes p054b came back. I went inside for a bit came back out and started again and no whistle/squeal but the engine seemed louder than normal here's a video

This morning no check engine light though the p054b code is still there if I plug in the scanner. I read last night a few possible diagnoses one being a bad oil filter checked and its fine. Second mentioned dirt vans solenoids so I cleaned those. Currently no rough idle and no whistle/squeal but Ill need to go drive it around and Im sure it'll still be there. Additionally the engine still seems loud. Here is a video I took after I cleaned the vans solenoids
It seems like the sound is coming from center engine drivers side.

Am I crazy? Is this a normal sound? Any ideas on the code that remains? I will add a video of the whistle/squeal later today. I found this post that may relate but not sure https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469937

Thanks in advance

Last edited by nic_m3; 07-14-2020 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
AoS810
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 N51, 2011 E91 N52

I don't hear a whistling sound from your videos.. did it sound anything like this video I took of my car? Everything you're describing seems like the same issue I had which turned out to be a bad PCV valve on the plastic valve cover which is not a separately fixable part. I had the valve cover replaced under SULEV and the noise hasn't returned at all.

*EDIT* Forgot to mention one way to see if it's a bad PCV valve is to try and open up the engine oil filler cap while the car is idling. If it's extremely difficult that means there is excess vacuum and the PCV valve has likely gone bad causing the whistling and rough idle issues.

Last edited by AoS810; 07-14-2020 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 07:04 PM   #3
nic_m3
United_States
Rep

Here’s a video showing the whistle sound. Just went out for a drive took about 10 minutes once the temperature reached about 180° sounds started. Also I am able to takeoff the oil cap with a normal amount of pressure while the engine is running so I’m not sure that an excessive vacuum leak is the problem? Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:06 PM   #4
nic_m3
United_States
Rep

Update, under load such as acceleration or especially on an incline the sound dies out a lot then when you let off the gas comes back. Also check engine light is back on maybe unrelated but p054b 3 times (remember that it was on there once without showing the check engine light. Also seems to be going through gas dater than normal though not positive on that.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 12:22 PM   #5
Joshe93
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i e93

Just a thing I've picked up... Use a Mann oil filter. Mobile 1, wix, will crinkle just enough to make it squeal. Put a Mann in it and it will prob stop.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #6
nic_m3
United_States
Rep

New valve cover fixed the issue!
Appreciate 0