E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > E9x KCAN 101

02-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #111
ante
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31

I have a E90 and a F31. Can i use this Interface for the Trace logging:
http://ac-services.eu/shop/product_i...ace---usb.html
Have somebody experience with the F31?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #112
alfa
Registered
Rep
Drives: Land Rover Defender

BMW Night Camera

Dear Sir, a question: I have a camera FLIR BMW Night Vision and I would like to install it on other cars. I can not make it work because I think it is locked. I think I understand that some of you (user Alcain?) able to make it work and I would ask you to give me some info and advice. There are accessories to unlock this camera ?
The camera I bought from a scrap car recovery but did not know the block and I've probably wasted my money (although few).
I want to use only the cables +12 v:-12v and video to build a Night Vision on another car. I hope I can help and advise you how to act.
I do not know if it's the version 1 or 2, but if I answer then I can send pictures of the camera with the scriptures BMW.
Can you answer my PM??
Thank you for your kindness and patience.
I use a translator for the English language and I apologize for any errors
Sincerely ... Alfredo (Italy)

My email: alsulas@alice.it
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #113
martin.p
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
I found out what is going on with the window controls. I completely forgot all about the LIN-bus...

(pg 69 - E90 GENERAL VEHICLE ELECTRICAL.pdf)

"1. The signal is routed via the LIN-bus to the footwell module when the power window
switch for the window in the driver's door or front passenger's door is operated. The
footwell module drives the corresponding power window motor.
2. The signal is routed from the driver's door switch cluster via the LIN-bus to the footwell
module when the power window switches for the windows in the rear doors are operated.
The FRM sends the signal via the K-CAN to the JBE.
On receiving the signal, the Junction Box Electronics Control Module activates the corresponding
power window motor."

So simply(?) its:

Switch -> LINBUS -> FRM -> KCAN -> JBE -> KCAN -> Window motor
Hi everybody.
I think this thread is the "bible" of E90 canbus hacking, together with the work done by Trevor Cook in his site
http://www.loopybunny.co.uk/CarPC/k_can.html
Neither me and Trevor suceeded in making the driver window to move through sending messages in canbus (ID 0x0FA) but only on passenger side (ID 0x0FB). The logic behind between the two seems the same, but actually there must be something different somewhere.
Maybe Highvoltage or Efunroom were able to do that. Any clue to help?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #114
martin.p
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Going ahead to sniff the Kcan-bus of my E92 2007, I discovered that by writing the following message to the bus:

ID:2A0
LEN:8
DATA:88 88 80 0 16 40 86 0

I've been able to open the trunk.
Hope this is helpful for somebody.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #115
cyberketo
Rep
Drives: 2011 335

IBus

I know this is an old thread, but I have been searching for some answers to some fundamental questions and cant seem to find the answers, this is the best option

I have seen many websites selling an IBus usb adapter. I am struggling to find out what exactly that means, the IBus, because I don't see specific mention of in this thread. The answer can be just as simple as it is a generic name for the overall bus system in the BMW, I can accept that. As a newbie I have this initial question that I am struggling to place an answer. Follow up questions include is it associated with a specific model, etc...

I have a 2011 335i xDrive manual sedan that I am looking to tap into the electronic system, climate, radio, windows, etc... kinda stuck on this initial component.

Thanks in advance for the extra knowledge and getting me started...

Keith
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 09:46 PM   #116
benjlv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 97 m3, 06 330i, '13 x3, '14 x5

just wanted to share some of my experiences...

Steering wheel buttons on a 2006 330i

Message ID 1D6
Message is length 2 (DLC = 2)
Every second : C0 0C is broadcast

If a button is pressed it is broadcast at 10Hz (every 100ms)

Byte0 Byte1

UP: E0 0C
Down: D0 0C
Source: C0 4C
Recirculate: C0 1C
Voice:C0 0D
Phone: C1 0C
Vol+:C8 0C
Vol-: C4 0C

I spliced into the K-CAN at the back of the HVAC control module on the black connector. This is a easy place to access the bus. Here's a picture of my splice without the back-shell of the connector.
View post on imgur.com

I currently have a beaglebone black setup to listen for these messages and then relay track changes to my android phone. Here's the code repository for my project. Its still a work in progress but it works.

https://github.com/SquidIndustries/AndroidCarAudioDock
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #117
diagnet
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

hello,
Does anyone have information about how to send a "key position 1" or "ignition on" signal on k-can? I would like to test an E90 CCC+CID on the bench.
If i send the following messages the navi only start for 1 sec.
(Continuous data transmission with can analyzer)
CAN ID:26E Data:00 40 7F 50 FF FF FF FF
ID:130 data:45 40 21 8F FE

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #118
335iscp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

has anyone figured out the idrive knob CAN ID ? It seems that some are getting 1B8 on older models but i'm not getting an IB8 IDs when reading kcan from behind the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #119
tgrandahl
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

Instrument cluster display

Hi All,

Super glad I found this thread, you all have saved me a ton of work building a steering wheel CAN to BT for phone control.

One thing of interest is there was some mentioning of attempts to display information on the radio or instrument cluster over CAN.

Has anyone had any luck with this or aware of any one who has done it? It has certainly been done before even on oldies like the E34, although drastic architectural differences exist.

I've been scouring the internet and feel that the unfortunate answer is that its likely not possible for the instrument cluster and it would need to be through the CD changer input for the radio. I'm making this assumption based on the fact that it seems the Radio doesnt have the ability to send playback metadata for the instrument cluster.

Anyways thought I would check in here and see if any of you have thought about this as well and perhaps come to a similar conclusion or not.

Cheers,
Tyler
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #120
den_sad
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e91 320d chiped

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrandahl View Post
Hi All,

Super glad I found this thread, you all have saved me a ton of work building a steering wheel CAN to BT for phone control.

One thing of interest is there was some mentioning of attempts to display information on the radio or instrument cluster over CAN.

Has anyone had any luck with this or aware of any one who has done it? It has certainly been done before even on oldies like the E34, although drastic architectural differences exist.

I've been scouring the internet and feel that the unfortunate answer is that its likely not possible for the instrument cluster and it would need to be through the CD changer input for the radio. I'm making this assumption based on the fact that it seems the Radio doesnt have the ability to send playback metadata for the instrument cluster.

Anyways thought I would check in here and see if any of you have thought about this as well and perhaps come to a similar conclusion or not.

Cheers,
Tyler
Can2Bt control http://www.bmwclub.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=852444
And I don't think that it is possible to draw your information on display via CAN bus. You need MOST bus for it. IMHO
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 07:02 AM   #121
djcristi
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave658 View Post
Hi guys,

sorry to hijack this thread a little, but it is relevant, and with such a wealth of canbus experience on here, I thought I might try to pick your brains.

I'm not trying to drive the instrument panel, but I am trying to use the iDrive controller (CON) as an device on a project vehicle (non BMW, don't shoot me !) that I am working on.

CON is the only iDrive component I am using, so there is nothing to respond to CAN packets unless I program it that way.

When I first power on the CON, it lights up, and I see a current draw of around 28mA. I then see the following packets on the bus

ARBID DLC DATA
4E7 8 6701FEFFFFFFFFFF
5E7 8 99E1FE0006FFFFFF
4E7 8 6702FEFFFFFFFFFF
4E7 8 6701FEFFFFFFFFFF
4E7 8 6702FEFFFFFFFFFF
4E7 8 6701FEFFFFFFFFFF
4E7 8 6702FEFFFFFFFFFF
4E7 8 6701FEFFFFFFFFFF
4E7 8 6702FEFFFFFFFFFF
4E7 8 6701FEFFFFFFFFFF
5E7 8 99E1FE0106FFFFFF
4E7 8 6714FEFFFFFFFFFF

After this I get no further packets, the lights turn off and power consumption drops to around 2mA.

I am guessing that CON is expecting a reponse to what it is sending out, and after a few attempts, gives up and goes into shutdown.

Does anyone have any more information on the CON protocol or would be in a position to put a scanner on the bus and try to filter out what responses CON is expecting from amongst the other packets.

Thanks very much for any information anyone can offer
we are also discussing about this here
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 10:37 AM   #122
Wastegate
Italy
Rep
Drives: 320d E90

I tried the demo inside this pack with no luck.
I'm using a Sparkfun can bus shield and Arduino uno with a OBD II to DB9 cable.

Code:
#include <LCD05.h>
#include <Canbus.h>
int data;
char buffer[456];  //Data will be temporarily stored to this buffer before being written to the file

LCD05 lcd;

void setup(){
Serial.begin(9600);

lcd.backlightOn();

lcd.hideCursor();

lcd.brightness(80);

lcd.clearScreen();

if(Canbus.init(CANSPEED_100))  /* Initialise MCP2515 CAN controller at the specified speed */
  {
    Serial.println("CAN Init ok");
  } else
  {
    Serial.println("Can't init CAN");
  } 

delay(5000);

lcd.clearScreen();

}

void loop(){

Canbus.ecu_req(ENGINE_RPM, buffer);
 lcd.setCursor(1,1);
 Serial.print("RPM: ");
 Serial.println(buffer);

Canbus.ecu_req(ENGINE_COOLANT_TEMP, buffer);
 lcd.setCursor(2,1);
 Serial.print("Temp: ");
 Serial.println(buffer);
 delay(500);

}
Maybe the IDs of engine rpm and cooland temp are not right.

Inside canbus.h I found:

#define ENGINE_COOLANT_TEMP 0x05
#define ENGINE_RPM 0x0C
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 05:31 PM   #123
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastegate View Post
I tried the demo inside this pack with no luck.
I'm using a Sparkfun can bus shield and Arduino uno with a OBD II to DB9 cable.

Code:
#include <LCD05.h>
#include <Canbus.h>
int data;
char buffer[456];  //Data will be temporarily stored to this buffer before being written to the file

LCD05 lcd;

void setup(){
Serial.begin(9600);

lcd.backlightOn();

lcd.hideCursor();

lcd.brightness(80);

lcd.clearScreen();

if(Canbus.init(CANSPEED_100))  /* Initialise MCP2515 CAN controller at the specified speed */
  {
    Serial.println("CAN Init ok");
  } else
  {
    Serial.println("Can't init CAN");
  } 

delay(5000);

lcd.clearScreen();

}

void loop(){

Canbus.ecu_req(ENGINE_RPM, buffer);
 lcd.setCursor(1,1);
 Serial.print("RPM: ");
 Serial.println(buffer);

Canbus.ecu_req(ENGINE_COOLANT_TEMP, buffer);
 lcd.setCursor(2,1);
 Serial.print("Temp: ");
 Serial.println(buffer);
 delay(500);

}
Maybe the IDs of engine rpm and cooland temp are not right.

Inside canbus.h I found:

#define ENGINE_COOLANT_TEMP 0x05
#define ENGINE_RPM 0x0C
What is your build date? Perhaps your OBD plug doesn't have the correct pins on the car side?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 03:16 AM   #124
Wastegate
Italy
Rep
Drives: 320d E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
What is your build date? Perhaps your OBD plug doesn't have the correct pins on the car side?
January 2007.
I don't have CAN-H CAN-L as I can see, since pins 6 and 14 are missing.
I have only K-Line. On the OBD II plug I have pins 1,4,5,7,9 and 16.
I read TrevorC was able to get information from K-Line.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 12:12 PM   #125
Icekalt
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Found this Video running iDrive CAN Bus with a microcontroller:
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #126
RobertButtigieg
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

E90 KOMBI

Hi,

I have managed to send the 0x130 (every 100ms) and 0x26E (every 200ms) messages to wake up the KOMBI. However, it is doing some kind of reset since it is continuously beeping and flashing error lights. In fact, when I send the RPM message of 1500RPM, the needle goes from 0 to 1500, back to 0 and again to 1500 repetitively.

I am trying to make the KOMBI pretend that it is in a real car with its engine running i.e. displaying the time and odometer. Maybe the KOMBI is waiting for some specific messages other than the 0x130 and 0x26E.

Does anyone have this problem, please? If yes, how did you managed to solve it, please?

Thanks,
Robert
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 02:44 AM   #127
Dtype
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d

What can sniffer can I buy to read/write in my e91?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #128
E90Marc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d 2010

Where does the KCan signal start from?

I'm trying to locate a KCan comms fault and had an idea of adding my own twisted pair cable and start adding modules one by one as a test and process of elimination

Which KCan modules are a must to connect at first? Kombi and JBE?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 04:16 PM   #129
dzid_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i 2011 DCT

By far the easiest place to tap into CAN is behind FRM.

Just above foot rest there is a thick bundle of wires. PT-CAN and K-CAN are spliced there from factory. Wires are twisted together and all you have to do is remove the plastic insulation.

Bear in mind that there is more things splined there. What you need, are twisted wire pairs with colors as in the picture.

I run those wires to OBD2 connector. I added pins and I am reading DCAN, PTCAN and KCAN using comma.ai Panda.

Also, I started openDBC repository for E-series that can be used in Cabana. I wonder if E8x CAN is the same as E9x...
Attached Images

Last edited by dzid_; 07-29-2018 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #130
garrypeterson
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
I've been lurking on this interesting thread, but have not anything to contribute until now.

It is possible to force the AUX input active:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=51895

It is also likely that the AUX input can be selected using some CAN command. The BMW ACM appears to select the the AUX input via the CAN bus. More information about the ACM can be found on several threads in this forum:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showforum=22
Old thread, but does anyone know the CAN message to switch to AUX? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:58 PM   #131
timstar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i e90

I know this is an old thread, but seems like my best shot at finding knowledge!
I have an e90, I've assembled a CAN interface using arduino UNO and a DFRobot CANBUS shield, I've loaded a basic config to it just to test receiving can messages...
My problem is, as soon as the CAN H & L on the shield are connected into the CAN H & L in the car, (behind the stereo, i-drive controller or junction box behind gloves box) the car triggers an electronics failure error?
Does this sound like it could be a faulty CAN shield?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 02:00 PM   #132
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 328i -> 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timstar View Post
I know this is an old thread, but seems like my best shot at finding knowledge!
I have an e90, I've assembled a CAN interface using arduino UNO and a DFRobot CANBUS shield, I've loaded a basic config to it just to test receiving can messages...
My problem is, as soon as the CAN H & L on the shield are connected into the CAN H & L in the car, (behind the stereo, i-drive controller or junction box behind gloves box) the car triggers an electronics failure error?
Does this sound like it could be a faulty CAN shield?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
What chip do you use for can interface also is it KCAN you are trying to read?
Appreciate 0