E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Boost leak intercooler help

08-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Boost leak intercooler help

I did the oil filter cooler and housing gasket and flushed my coolant and had put everything back.

Did a drive first pulls ok but then I could hear something was clearly open or leaking boost.

Jack the car and right side of my intercooler popped off and I feel an O ring but where exactly is the O ring supposed to go?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
There is an o-ring on both turbo pipes that attach to the inter-cooler hose connections. Did you drop the inter-cooler to access the radiator drain plug to do the coolant flush? If so, you had to have disconnected the turbo discharge pipes from the inter-cooler by pulling out on the clip. When you re-installed the inter-cooler, did you push in the clip before pushing the turbo pipes in, and then pushed in until the clip snapped and captured the pipe end?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
There is an o-ring on both turbo pipes that attach to the inter-cooler hose connections. Did you drop the inter-cooler to access the radiator drain plug to do the coolant flush? If so, you had to have disconnected the turbo discharge pipes from the inter-cooler by pulling out on the clip. When you re-installed the inter-cooler, did you push in the clip before pushing the turbo pipes in, and then pushed in until the clip snapped and captured the pipe end?
Exatyl yeah why I took it off.

As for reinstall, the clip was pulled back, then I pushed pipes in and pushed clip back in.

So I should push clip in, then push the pipes into it and it will click in place?

I wanted to avoid to take it off again to investigateO ring placement but I guess I need to do that to make sdure it's set ok?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
Exatyl yeah why I took it off.

As for reinstall, the clip was pulled back, then I pushed pipes in and pushed clip back in.

So I should push clip in, then push the pipes into it and it will click in place?

I wanted to avoid to take it off again to investigateO ring placement but I guess I need to do that to make sdure it's set ok?
The O-ring goes on the outlet on the exhaust side & on the lower charge pipe on the driver's side.

I have always put the outlet/lower charge pipe into the FMIC & then secured the connections w/ the C-clips. They are always a little tricky to put into the FMIC because of the notch has to line up. The very end of the metal connections on both the outlet/ lower charge pipe, should be flush into the FMIC before you put the C-clip on.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
The O-ring goes on the outlet on the exhaust side & on the lower charge pipe on the driver's side.

I have always put the outlet/lower charge pipe into the FMIC & then secured the connections w/ the C-clips. They are always a little tricky to put into the FMIC because of the notch has to line up. The very end of the metal connections on both the outlet/ lower charge pipe, should be flush into the FMIC before you put the C-clip on.
Yeah ok, I was able to reseat the O ring ok on the exhaust side like you say.

Now like you say again, difficult to push into place. Don't knoe if because my C clip is not pulled back enough or what. I'm putting force to bring into the socket. And like you said I still see the gray metal. Shouldn't see any gray metal once it's inserted in properly right? Also if I push it far as I can, then push c clip into it. And pull back on piping it comes out so definitely not inserted deep enough.

Do sometimes C clip difficult to pull out? Don't want to pull to much so it comes out of it's "retainer" that I will have to reattach it...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Ok I took out the O ring on the piping and was able to slide it on OK.

So it's the O ring giving me some trouble.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 04:37 PM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Ok update. Brough the O ring on my bench and sprayed a bit of brake clean both sides, it had a bit of grit in the inner channels dunno if it did actually something but now was able to slide it on and went for a hard drive and boost is there no CEL.

The blow off noise sounds a bit louder... but maybe it's placebo oh well.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:10 PM   #8
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Push the clip back in before inserting the pipe. Put a little grease on the o-ring and the raised bumps on the side of the pipe that interlock with the clip. Push pipe in until the clip snaps. That is how you know it is fully inserted and locked in place.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #9
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
If you have MHD, do a log and make sure you're hitting target boost.

That f'ing connection gave me hell earlier this year. It would pop back off even fully seated (aftermarket FMIC though).
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:24 PM   #10
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post

Yeah ok, I was able to reseat the O ring ok on the exhaust side like you say.

Now like you say again, difficult to push into place. Don't knoe if because my C clip is not pulled back enough or what. I'm putting force to bring into the socket. And like you said I still see the gray metal. Shouldn't see any gray metal once it's inserted in properly right? Also if I push it far as I can, then push c clip into it. And pull back on piping it comes out so definitely not inserted deep enough.

Do sometimes C clip difficult to pull out? Don't want to pull to much so it comes out of it's "retainer" that I will have to reattach it...
I take the C-clip all the way off, seat the outlet to the FMIC so they are flush & then put the C-clip on.
Appreciate 0