E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW Warranty Claim - Turbos & Cats

12-04-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
x77md
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: golf tsi

BMW Warranty Claim - Turbos & Cats

Hi all

So I took out a BMW warranty earlier this year and had to make a claim this month after the turbos went pop and crackle (rice crispies style).

When they put the car up on the ramp, they found the turbos needed replacement and one bolt holding one of the catalytic converters to the exhaust system had fully corroded. As a result they couldn't just replace the bolt and would have to replace both catalytic converters, bolts, gaskets etc. Also, a rocker cover leak means a replacement gasket is needed.

So my local BMW garage put the claim in for me and whilst the BMW warranty are happy to replace the turbos under warranty, they're not willing to replace the bolts and catalytic converters under warranty and want to charge £1500, despite the warranty policy stating catalytic converters are covered. I understand it's not the cats that are damaged themselves and rather it's a bolt that's corroded and needs to be cut out and replace but it's an eye watering amount for a corroded bolt! With the rocker cover gasket, I'll concede because I'm aware that they need to be replaced as they often become brittle with time.

Are the bolts classed as wear & tear? I wouldn't think a bolt would be classed as something you would regularly have to change out especially as it is something exposed to the elements beneath the car and the corrosion would be down to a natural process.

Feel free to chime in, I'm yet to respond to BMW and would like to know if any of you guys have come across any similar situations. I'll probably respond over the weekend regarding the cats replacement.

Peace!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

It`s basically insurance so they will try and wangle out of paying anything they can.

Read YOUR policy carefully and kick up a stink if you feel they are not being fair! Make sure they quote the policy segments/clauses/definitions when declining your claim.

Side note - If you consider the rocker cover gasket to not be covered then why are the turbos? Both are expected to fail after time, so, isn't that what the warranty is for?

p.s. I would expect wear and tear items to be listed under definitions in your policy.

Last edited by Chapperss; 12-04-2020 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: added the p.s.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 04:18 PM   #3
x77md
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
It`s basically insurance so they will try and wangle out of paying anything they can.

Read YOUR policy carefully and kick up a stink if you feel they are not being fair! Make sure they quote the policy segments/clauses/definitions when declining your claim.

Side note - If you consider the rocker cover gasket to not be covered then why are the turbos? Both are expected to fail after time, so, isn't that what the warranty is for?

p.s. I would expect wear and tear items to be listed under definitions in your policy.
Yes, definitely. The whole reason I went with the warranty was simply for the peace of mind.

I've been through the warranty policy and couldn't find anything explicitly stating bolts under wear and tear but in all honesty the policy is very badly put together in a poor format so I will have to read very carefully again.

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely have them quote any parts of the policy which their basing the refusal upon. I honestly thought the turbos would be more of a headache simply due to the cost of replacing them and one could assume that insurers hate paying out.

Touching on your last point, I would have expected the turbos on a 335i to be built to last the lifetime of the vehicle as would be the case from any manufacturer. The fact that they were poorly designed would fall back on the manufacturer. With regards to the rocker cover, I guess I could argue the same. Rubber near a hot engine makes for brittle gaskets. The catalytic converter bolt being gradually destroyed by the elements... I can't imagine that being part of usual wear & tear but let's see.

I'll have to sift through the policy to see if I can find anything to support my claim. Thanks for your response!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

No worries dude and sorry to hear of your problems (both mechanically and otherwise).

Most places cave if you kick up a fuss as it can/will cost them more to fight it with the regulator/ombudsman/courts.

Read through the policy and mark all the areas you think work in your favour and all the ones that work against. Double check you agree with the report the garage submitted and check the insurance company responded to the garages report accurately. Apply common sense and proceed on that basis.

In my experience (3 years in the travel insurance world as kid) things have to be specifically excluded, not alluded to, for it to stand up to regulatory scrutiny.

Last edited by Chapperss; 12-04-2020 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: removed ,
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 01:07 PM   #5
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

the mondial / allianz insured warranty includes wear and tear up to 100k in case you didnt know already.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 01:37 PM   #6
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

The 'get out' clause.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 05:00 AM   #7
x77md
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 AKY View Post
The 'get out' clause.
Hmmm... so corrosion not covered under the policy.

Fair enough, that's one expensive bolt replacement though. I'll try my best to have them chip away at it.

I don't believe it's adversely affecting the catalytic converters in any manner but my guess is that they'd have to remove the cats in order to access the turbos to replace them and so it's going to be part of the one job.

I have read of bmw contributing to certain work as a goodwill so I'll try my luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 06:25 AM   #8
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

id phone mondial and have a chat with them and see what they say. I had a huge argument with a bmw dealer not willing to replace shocks as a pair and not willing to do a KDS after front wishbone replacement, both of which are "required" according to bmw TIS (rip). I successfully convinced mondial who then told bmw dealer to do the work and submit the claim. Appreciate your scenario is different but allianz support is really very good.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 06:57 AM   #9
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
id phone mondial and have a chat with them and see what they say. I had a huge argument with a bmw dealer not willing to replace shocks as a pair and not willing to do a KDS after front wishbone replacement, both of which are "required" according to bmw TIS (rip). I successfully convinced mondial who then told bmw dealer to do the work and submit the claim. Appreciate your scenario is different but allianz support is really very good.
Definitely worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 07:30 AM   #10
x77md
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
This sounds like a good plan. Do you reckon I should have this chat prior to returning the service advisor's email (containing the refusal/quotation) or respond to the refusal through BMW first and if nothing is achieved go through Allianz (or am I just prolonging the inevitable here)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #11
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by x77md View Post
This sounds like a good plan. Do you reckon I should have this chat prior to returning the service advisor's email (containing the refusal/quotation) or respond to the refusal through BMW first and if nothing is achieved go through Allianz (or am I just prolonging the inevitable here)
Hopefully you’ve got somewhere with all this but I’d definitely kick up a fuss. I’d certainly state that the only reason the CATs are needing to be removed is to replace a warrantied item which shouldn’t have failed.

Also speaK to BMW customer service if warranty won’t cover it to see if they’ll offer a goodwill or step in.
      12-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #12
x77md
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update 17/12/20

So after a stern discussion with the local BMW service department, they tried again with the warranty team regarding the cats but were not having it.

Service advisor discussed with a senior member of management and they agreed that as the catalytic converters were ok and it was just the bolt that they would repair it under the dealership FOC.

So the car is getting the new tubs under warranty & dealership sorting out the corroded bolt. Still waiting on a decision regarding the rocker cover gasket but I'm happy to have got the cats being fixed rather than replacing both for the sake of a bolt!

Brand new MPS4s going on after warranty work & MOT, can't wait!
Appreciate 1
Chapperss488.50
      12-22-2020, 06:16 PM   #13
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Good result and glad you’ve got it sorted to your liking.