E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Rebuild or replace n52?

08-08-2022, 04:57 PM   #1
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i 6spd

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Rebuild or replace n52?

sup e90 ive reach that time. im fed up. i had enough. i bought my car with 124k miles 4 years ago it now has 198k+ miles. i bought it burning oil. it burned a quart every 2k miles after ccv replacement. which is ok because i considered it a great car at the time. but now i have to add oil like its a rotary engine, quart every 600 miles. its now got to the point enough is enough and have to make a decision. replace the engine, rebuild engine or get rid of the car.

the 15k oil change bmw prescribe really fucked up this car model up for the used car enthusiast of the brand ( so if you are like me and want to change the engine for a lower mileage used engine from the junkyard, you cant trust it will be good, it could end of being worse)

That being said, What do you guys recommend doing if it was your situation? replace engine, rebuild engine or get rid of the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 09:47 AM   #2
Stock328xi
Audi/BMW Technician
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Hey, sorry you're having a rough time with making a decision.
I bought a used motor off of marketplace for $500 and have thrown over $1500 at parts to replace while I'm in there. I did so because I have a shitty attachment to the car as it was my first purchased car, was used in my proposal photos, etc.
If it wasnt for that I would have sold the car, hands down.
That being said, I love the car but would recommend, from a cost perspective, looking to get out of it.

Best of luck with whichever choice you make though, we'll be here for ya!

**Edit I'm doing the work myself and have a second car, so for me it's just the cost of parts and using my free time**
      08-09-2022, 11:03 AM   #3
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

The N52B25 is particularly bad with burning oil through the piston rings. I believe there's a way to put some kind of cleaner into the cylinder and let it soak for a day or two. You'd have to pump the excess fluid out before putting the car back together. Try to research if that's a good attempt and give it a try. Replacing the engine would be easier and cheaper than a rebuild...

Are you sure you're not leaking from anywhere else?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 09:52 AM   #4
AdrianE36
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT RWD

Replacing the motor would be easier than rebuilding but you'll have to verify that the motor you're installing doesn't have issues either. Either way, I'd recommend replacing every gasket and seal.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 01:19 PM   #5
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvorovo View Post
The N52B25 is particularly bad with burning oil through the piston rings. I believe there's a way to put some kind of cleaner into the cylinder and let it soak for a day or two. You'd have to pump the excess fluid out before putting the car back together. Try to research if that's a good attempt and give it a try. Replacing the engine would be easier and cheaper than a rebuild...

Are you sure you're not leaking from anywhere else?
He doesn't have an N52B25. it was never released in the US market.

regardless, used N52s are cheap and you could get a much newer one (up to 2012), putting your original electronics/accessories on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 01:46 PM   #6
unk045
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
He doesn't have an N52B25. it was never released in the US market.

regardless, used N52s are cheap and you could get a much newer one (up to 2012), putting your original electronics/accessories on it.
Hey hassmaschine, not to hijack this gentleman's thread but I would certainly appreciate your help with some coding problems I'm experiencing. I've created a separate thread if you'd like to respond there. Here's the link https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1938031
Appreciate 0