E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 intake elbow

07-29-2022, 09:37 PM   #1
E90jacob
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 n52 fbo

N52 intake elbow

Today I figured I'd set the point straight with wether the silicon intake elbow is legit or not.

I ran some test for temperature and flow.

Both tests were at operating temperature one reading per minute.

At idle the silicone elbow was 2.4F cooler on avg than the plastic oem elbow.

In addition to the cooler temperatures, I decided to do a flow test.
Flow test was at Cruise control 50mph 4th gear EAST on the same strip of road. I also did the same test at 25mph 2nd gear.

As shown in the paper. On avg the silicone elbow offered .43psi more flow at 50mph, and .48psi more flow at 25mph.

In conclusion, the silicone elbow is actually better for flow and intake temps. The oem plastic one is too thin and doesn't insulate as well as the silicone elbow does, this results in better intake temps. With lower intake temps, you get more oxygen molecules per psi. The oem plastic elbow also has corrugated plastic and a resonator box that both reduce flow, therefore the silicone elbow also offer almost .5psi more flow.

The horsepower: with .5psi more flow and 2.4F or more cooler temps. You're looking at about 5hp more. Of course once your 5hp goes through the trans,diff, and wheels. You maybe have 1 solid whp. Happy tracking
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      07-31-2022, 08:49 PM   #2
E90jacob
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90jacob View Post
Today I figured I'd set the point straight with wether the silicon intake elbow is legit or not.

I ran some test for temperature and flow.

Both tests were at operating temperature one reading per minute.

At idle the silicone elbow was 2.4F cooler on avg than the plastic oem elbow.

In addition to the cooler temperatures, I decided to do a flow test.
Flow test was at Cruise control 50mph 4th gear EAST on the same strip of road. I also did the same test at 25mph 2nd gear.

As shown in the paper. On avg the silicone elbow offered .43psi more flow at 50mph, and .48psi more flow at 25mph.

In conclusion, the silicone elbow is actually better for flow and intake temps. The oem plastic one is too thin and doesn't insulate as well as the silicone elbow does, this results in better intake temps. With lower intake temps, you get more oxygen molecules per psi. The oem plastic elbow also has corrugated plastic and a resonator box that both reduce flow, therefore the silicone elbow also offer almost .5psi more flow.

The horsepower: with .5psi more flow and 2.4F or more cooler temps. You're looking at about 5hp more. Of course once your 5hp goes through the trans,diff, and wheels. You maybe have 1 solid whp. Happy tracking
To back up my claims here's a user that did a dyno to prove the gains
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 11:25 AM   #3
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
You can also wrap the silicon and other parts of the intake with gold heat wrap to reduce intake temp further...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2022, 03:45 PM   #4
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
I don't believe the silicone intake hose is better than the stock hose. The Helmholtz resonator smooths airflow and yields better mid-range power at partial throttle. Unfortunately no proof of this from BMW, but lots of references from other manufacturers documenting the use of similar resonators for those purposes. It seems that BMW adds additional resonators for sound tuning. Eg the Z4 intake hose has an additional "sound generator" branch for more induction noise, while some E60 models have an extra resonator presumably for noise reduction.

I had both and went back to the stock hose after my butt dyno felt it was more responsive in daily driving conditions. People keep claiming the silicone hose is dyno proven but I've yet to see an actual dyno graph. 2 whp is noise and I would rather have more usable mid-range power than an insignificant increase in peak power.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...34&postcount=8
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=17

Last edited by The Nightman; 08-10-2022 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: fixed links
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 05:19 AM   #5
E90jacob
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fieri View Post
I don't believe the silicone intake hose is better than the stock hose. The Helmholtz resonator smooths airflow and yields better mid-range power at partial throttle. Unfortunately no proof of this from BMW, but lots of references from other manufacturers documenting the use of similar resonators for those purposes. It seems that BMW adds additional resonators for sound tuning. Eg the Z4 intake hose has an additional "sound generator" branch for more induction noise, while some E60 models have an extra resonator presumably for noise reduction.

I had both and went back to the stock hose after my butt dyno felt it was more responsive in daily driving conditions. People keep claiming the silicone hose is dyno proven but I've yet to see an actual dyno graph. 2 whp is noise and I would rather have more usable mid-range power than an insignificant increase in peak power.

Wrong. The test literally should that at mid rpms you're gaining more power and flow than the stock one. And please also remember that the silicone is a lot better at insulating the intake from the engine heat than that cheap thin plastic. And of course the corrugated tunnel way disrupts airflow along with the resonator which isn't even an empty box. If you cut it open you'll see there are plenty of walls to mess with airflow and trap air inside.

While you are correct about the "sound tuning" aspect, the only sound you're changing is wether or not the intake makes a sucky sucky noise. Please don't lie and tell me you hear a difference in the exhaust from a plastic pipe
Appreciate 2
      08-10-2022, 06:43 PM   #6
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:

You say there's no proof, then you use your butt dyno as proof.. Okaaaay..

I'm not going to dig through 10 years of posts to find the dyno charts, but I know they exist and I have seen them.
Appreciate 2
      08-11-2022, 01:24 AM   #7
E90jacob
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Quote:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...38;postcount=8
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...8;postcount=17
You say there's no proof, then you use your butt dyno as proof.. Okaaaay..

I'm not going to dig through 10 years of posts to find the dyno charts, but I know they exist and I have seen them.
^
I even showed a screenshot from someone else's forum showing that there were proven gains from the elbow upgrade.
Appreciate 0