E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Calling out to Xi drivers: with SonicTuning coilovers

03-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Drock28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 328XI coupe 6MT

Calling out to Xi drivers: with SonicTuning coilovers

hi.

from the Sonic thread in the vendors forum.. seems like alot of Xi drivers ordered the Sonictuning coilovers for their cars..

so can any of you guys post some pics of your E90/E92 Xi cars.. with the kit on..

ive seen plenty of non-xi pics with the kit on.. but would like to see the Xi cars..!

to those who come forward with some pics.. please post details of your drop, adjustments etc..

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
when did ST start offering xi specific coilovers?
      03-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysBlueE92 View Post
A while ago.

I'm also in for some pics!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
Jacblack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 COMP

Yeah I think I'm going to pick some of those up since I'm local. But they do make them for the XI now.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
e90Mark
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysBlueE92 View Post
Not sure if you're thinking ST, the KW brand, but Sonic Tuning is different.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
Strombo
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

The Sonic Tuning S1 Coilovers with fit the XI model, I have them on order - I will post a review once they are installed toward the end of the month.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 02:18 PM   #7
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Mark View Post
Not sure if you're thinking ST, the KW brand, but Sonic Tuning is different.
ahh thanks mark!
      03-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #8
Drock28
Private First Class
Rep

so ya..! still looking for some pics of Xi cars with the Sonic coilovers.
I actually ordered a set last week.. they should arrive to me in Montreal soon.
but I wont get them installed probably until the end of March, when hopefully the snow will be gone here.

the Xi specific kit, the strut drop range is limited to about 1.7" in front.. due to xi design.

ive done siginificant research on this kit.. and spoke to Ray at Sonic alot.
I suspect this kit will be more then good enough for my needs.

however, with the max front drop range at 1.7", this will likely not be enough to get the front flush.. which is about 2.25" gap stock.

the advertised Max drop range in front on KwV1 is also 1.7", but Xi drivers on KwV1 are slamming the front like crazy... so the only way they are doing this, is by going well beyond the 1.7" all the way through, until the car is almost or sitting on the bumpstops, some are even removing the bumpstops all together. v1 does not allow seperate adjustment of spring compression. so they keep threading and threading until they are flush.

whereas with the Sonic kit, you have independent strut adjusment and spring load/adjustment.. so in my opnion this offers much more flexibility to twick it to what you want.

according to Ray at Sonic.. extra preload/compression can be added on the front springs on this kit, to get the front lower.Via adjusting the top rings, after the lower strut ring adjusment is maxed out, meaning it cannot be threaded any lower. so the final adjustment capability is to add more preload. obviously he has to say its not "recommended", but it can indeed be done.

i suspect the springs will have to be compressed about .5" to get the front flush..this will sacrafice some strut traval, but I dont think its anything serious.

so thats why I REALLY!! want to see some xi drivers who are running on this kit.. to see how they twicked their setup..

Last edited by Drock28; 03-14-2014 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
Strombo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drock28 View Post
so ya..! still looking for some pics of Xi cars with the Sonic coilovers.
I actually ordered a set last week.. they should arrive to me in Montreal soon.
but I wont get them installed probably until the end of March, when hopefully the snow will be gone here.

the Xi specific kit, the strut drop range is limited to about 1.7" in front.. due to xi design.

ive done siginificant research on this kit.. and spoke to Ray at Sonic alot.
I suspect this kit will be more then good enough for my needs.

however, with the max front drop range at 1.7", this will likely not be enough to get the front flush.. which is about 2.25" gap stock.

the advertised Max drop range in front on KwV1 is also 1.7", but Xi drivers on KwV1 are slamming the front like crazy... so the only way they are doing this, is by going well beyond the 1.7" all the way through, until the car is almost or sitting on the bumpstops, some are even removing the bumpstops all together. v1 does not allow seperate adjustment of spring compression. so they keep threading and threading until they are flush.

whereas with the Sonic kit, you have independent strut adjusment and spring load/adjustment.. so in my opnion this offers much more flexibility to twick it to what you want.

according to Ray at Sonic.. extra preload/compression can be added on the front springs on this kit, to get the front lower.Via adjusting the top rings, after the lower strut ring adjusment is maxed out, meaning it cannot be threaded any lower. so the final adjustment capability is to add more preload. obviously he has to say its not "recommended", but it can indeed be done.

i suspect the springs will have to be compressed about .5" to get the front flush..this will sacrafice some strut traval, but I dont think its anything serious.

so thats why I REALLY!! want to see some xi drivers who are running on this kit.. to see how they twicked their setup..
Drock, I'm actually in the exact same boat as you. I have actually had mine on "pre-order" so to speak for about a month waiting for the revision to be done.

Ray emailed me yesterday with a sample installation picture (showed below if you didn't get it). I'm not really looking to slam my e91, but my biggest concern is if this set-up will get rid of the front rake at the lowest setting on the front and mildly lowering the rear. The pic in the email almost looks like what occurs when installing just the springs (front higher still than the rear).

I'm awaiting some more pictures from Ray on their next install to see results.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #10
Drock28
Private First Class
Rep

hi.. thanks for that picture.. yes I got it of the same car, but from a side angle..
in the pic that Ray sent me, he say the person put it to the lowest setting in front.. but I dont see how thats possible..

what do you mean Waiting for Revision..? are you saying Sonic is revising the current xi kit to allow more drop range in front..?

I ordered my Xi kit last week.. they had a few in stock..?

please clarify about what you meant by Revision.. cause if they are im sending my kit back..!!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
Strombo
Rep

No this is the revision, only lowering ~1.5 in the front. I ordered a month or so ago and they said to wait for the revision because it should fix the front end lowering issue, but apparently not much changed.

Do you mind posting the pic up from the side? I only got the picture from the front.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #12
e90Mark
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
I'm interested in how the valving holds up to KW.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 11:56 PM   #13
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I too was gonna pick up the SonicTuning system since they are on sale, but if that pic shows the max lowering in front, it's not worth the $$ or the labor to change them out

My gaps currently set exactly at 2-1/8" front & 3/4" rear - by that pic the front may have come down 1/2" from my measurement & barely anything on the rear...

$800+ = 1/2"
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #14
Drock28
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I too was gonna pick up the SonicTuning system since they are on sale, but if that pic shows the max lowering in front, it's not worth the $$ or the labor to change them out

My gaps currently set exactly at 2-1/8" front & 3/4" rear - by that pic the front may have come down 1/2" from my measurement & barely anything on the rear...

$800+ = 1/2"
hi, I completely agree with your measurements.. and is why I also conclude.. that the pic up top.. cannot be the max drop in front for this kit.. its impossible..

Sonic has now updated their site for this kit.. to show that the max range in front for Xi cars is 1.5-1.6".. over the phone he actually told be 1.7". so I guess they are being more conservative on the site..

now regarding that pic.. if the customer dropped it to the max 1.5" in front for example.. there would be .5" gap left give or take..
so in that picture there is no way it has been dropped the 1.5".

as well you will notice on their site.. it say 1.5-1.6" without compressing the springs..

so if you want to go lower.. after reaching max range from the strut.. you can achieve additional drop by adding preload/compression on the springs, which this kit can do. indeed, more compression on the front springs is not ideal, but .5" compression isnt agressive, and will allow close to flush drop in front..

what do you think the KwV1 guys are doing.. to get tucked/slammed..in front on their Xi cars.. they are threading down the strut all the way.. as needed to get flush or even tucked.. Kw also advises at most drop range in front of 1.7".. so all the Kw Xi users.. are going well beyond that point..

so the end result is the same, they end up shortening strut travel beyond what Kw designed them to do.. so it is the same as using the Sonics, and getting the added drop range via compression of the springs..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 06:04 AM   #15
mike5809
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i M-Sport [LeMans Blue]

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
$800+ = 1/2"
Man, she would pay a lot for 7inches!

I too m interested - I was going to order them but with with springs/struts. Would love to see some installed pictures!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #16
tambat
Do it for a living.
Rep
Drives: F80 MG M3 m/t

very interested in this as well. i'm having a hard time deciding which route to take for suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #17
Drock28
Private First Class
Rep

still looking for some pics from Xi drivers with the SOnic kit on.
Personally I have already orderd mine.. but will likely only get it installed early April or later depending on the snow in my area...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 03:25 AM   #18
Exxxtacy
Instagram @kyle_e92
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
I had my mind set on the sonic tuning coils for a while now but after seeing that picture no way...i hope that the front isn't lowered all the way...
      03-22-2014, 03:50 AM   #19
Lammmmbert
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Was going to pull the trigger on these since you could adjust the ride height separately. But if it can't go lower than my kw v1s then there's no point... please someone install them! Here's the lowest setting on my v1s

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #20
Drock28
Private First Class
Rep

Lammmmbert, thanks for posting up your Xi car, with the Kw's.
more then likely, the Sonic kit will not be able to go as low in front as you currently are.
your stance looks very nice/clean. almost looks you have minor tuckage in front.

however, to get that low in front, you are well past the 1.8" max lowering range in front recommened by Kw. ive called them direct. and if you did not know, this voids the warranty on the kit.

I have nothing against your current drop, looks great and I would likely go that range myself if I had KW's.. but I decided to go with the Sonics.

to get to that range, you likely had to thread the strut down all the way to the max. as a result you are reducing the strut travel beyond what it was designed for.

as you mentioned above, the Sonics have two ways to adjust height. by the strut, but the distance has been limited to about 1.7", and by spring compression. therefore to get close to the current drop you have in front, would require to adjust compression of the springs after maxing out the struts. compressing the springs is obvioulsy not the ideal, since this will also reduce strut travel. but the end result in terms of ride quality, will likely be the same, as your current drop on the Kw's.

only time will tell, once I get my sonic kit and install.. to see how I will be able to tweak my drop in front.

Unless of course an Xi driver can finally post some pics with the Sonics on..

and yes.. there is no way, the pic higher up has it lowered to the max, it is not possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #21
tambat
Do it for a living.
Rep
Drives: F80 MG M3 m/t

i think a major factor worth noting is that the kw kit comes with a lifetime warranty and is made from stainless steel, and has been run by thousands of people across all platforms, and the sonic kit is relatively unproven and is only guaranteed for 1 year (which is a ridiculously weak warranty IMO)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #22
Drock28
Private First Class
Rep

incase you didn't see in my last post, the kw warranty is void if you lower past their recommend range. so that's basically 99% of all users. I spoke with tech guy at Kw, and if a strut fails, and is attempted to be replaced under warranty, when they open it, they will know what range it was lowered and thus warranty is void if they deem it was lowered past their specs.
Appreciate 0