E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > SIB Number for Priming Oil System

02-19-2019, 02:33 PM   #45
rich_mane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

bbnks2 you are a wealth of information sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Next time you do an OFHG job just load up MHD and see what you oil pressure is lol. See what it is as soon as the car turns over. Log it even. Every morning my oil pressure shows 14.x psi. Seems like pressure is maintained somehow. When I rebuilt my engine it showed 0psi until I cranked on it.
Did you rebuild an n55 due to a bearing failure?

Last edited by rich_mane; 02-19-2019 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #46
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mane View Post
bbnks2 you are a wealth of information sir.

Did you rebuild an n55 due to a bearing failure?
Yes, it starved of oil at the track. Much different failure than what's been posted here. I presented what I assume was the cause on spool street... the shallow oil pan and relatively poor oil pickup design for track use.
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
rich_mane138.50
      02-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #47
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Not sure what you're searching but there are 10x as many threads about N54 failures when I google than N55 lol... N54 production run was also much more limited than the N55 engine production. BMW didn't exactly put N54s into every car model they made like they did with the N55.

Oh then there is this 7 pages of carnage: https://bmw.spool "remove me" street.com/threads/raise-your-hand-if-youve-blown-up-an-n54.2157/
Exactly my point. There isn't anything in regards to normal used cars and engine that RIP or engine that go RIP right after a OFHG job. I didn't find a single one in those threads. It's almost all about power. Which I'm sorry if I wasn't to clear... I agree, I meant that from normal usage or slight power/tune or OFHG jobs.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #48
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
thats kinda been my theory with the air lock.
Next time i do this, if i do, i will be crank priming for a bit then draining as well.
then crank again. Taking ZERO chances.
I have replaced the bearings. Did not prime. Then after 1500 I replaced the OTHG. Did not prime again. I have been accused of winging the repairs but hey engine still runs. Drove fine at -31c. Granted n54 not n55. I honestly think those that failed were just unfortunate coincidence.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 04:17 PM   #49
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
I have replaced the bearings. Did not prime. Then after 1500 I replaced the OTHG. Did not prime again. I have been accused of winging the repairs but hey engine still runs. Drove fine at -31c. Granted n54 not n55. I honestly think those that failed were just unfortunate coincidence.
What would be that coincidence. That fact that the car failed randomly and it was a coincidence that they just changed the OFHG? Seems extremely unlikely to me if there wasn't anything wrong with the car before.

That would mean that it could occur even if the OFHG wasn't changed or OFH wasn't opened. Are there any situations like that? Can this be related to the general rod bearings failure that we are seing? I think I just unveiled the conspiracy wooow.

No, but on a more serious note, I think there is definitely a correlation here but I can't yet put my hands on it. I don't know why but that idea of airpocket is logical but then again would it cause a failure as big as this?

Last edited by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly; 02-19-2019 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #50
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
What would be that coincidence. That fact that the car failed randomly and it was a coincidence that they just changed the OFHG? Seems extremely unlikely to me if there wasn't anything wrong with the car before.

That would mean that it could occur even if the OFHG wasn't changed or OFH wasn't opened. Are there any situations like that? Can this be related to the general rod bearings failure that we are seing? I think I just unveiled the conspiracy wooow.

No, but on a more serious note, I think there is definitely a correlation here but I can't yet put my hands on it. I don't know why but that idea of airpocket is logical but then again would it cause a failure as big as this?
I honestly don't see correlation and think is just mare coincidence. cahme bearings look great at 160k Do you think the OFHG on that Engine wasn't ever replaced? Every single BMW engine need this job. Do all engines fail? No. Also, what about oil changes. This job isn't any diferent than an oil change. You say wasn't anything wrong with the car? What if issue was there just wasn't detected?
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #51
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I honestly don't see correlation and think is just mare coincidence. cahme bearings look great at 160k Do you think the OFHG on that Engine wasn't ever replaced? Every single BMW engine need this job. Do all engines fail? No. Also, what about oil changes. This job isn't any diferent than an oil change. You say wasn't anything wrong with the car? What if issue was there just wasn't detected?
Ok I understand now what you mean by the coincidence and I fully agree. Yes there is a lot of things that could go wrong and remain undetected. You mentioned doing an oil change is similar to OFHG and there has never been an issue afterward. This is I think, by far the best example that we can use to compare to OFHG change.

What is difference between the two? Gasket might of been installed in a wrong way or some coolant might of mixed up with the oil but that could be picked up quickly if the oil was to be analyzed right?
feuer4275.50
      02-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #52
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
I think his case is a valid point. I just think that something is def happening but its a situation that cant be easily reproduced. Some factors have to be all lined up. For ex you might change it 20 times and not happen but happens on the 21st time.

But you also have a more realistic picture of this issue since u work on more cars than most of us. So i am totally confused. lol
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      02-19-2019, 05:49 PM   #53
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Guys this would be a good discussion over some beers ! By the 10th pint we would def come to a conclusion. lool
Appreciate 3
      02-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #54
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Guys this would be a good discussion over some beers ! By the 10th pint we would def come to a conclusion. lool
You bet we would hahaha! 60 Cents per wings tonight at local pub, pints are going down!
Pladi718.00
feuer4275.50
      02-19-2019, 05:56 PM   #55
rich_mane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Quote:
Ok I understand now what you mean by the coincidence and I fully agree. Yes there is a lot of things that could go wrong and remain undetected. You mentioned doing an oil change is similar to OFHG and there has never been an issue afterward. This is I think, by far the best example that we can use to compare to OFHG change.

What is difference between the two? Gasket might of been installed in a wrong way or some coolant might of mixed up with the oil but that could be picked up quickly if the oil was to be analyzed right?
Even if the gasket was installed wrong and coolant was somehow introduced into the oil, would it really cause a bearing failure so quickly with such light driving? I don't really think that would be the case. I've drained milkshakes from other cars including one of my old Hondas, and never had a catastrophic failure like I'm running into now. I know it's a possibility, but I feel like it would take a lot longer than a few minutes of driving to do so much damage.

At first I really wanted to believe they were all just unfortunate coincidences, but after seeing it happen at the dealership multiple times (motor locks on test drive after ofhg replacement) and now experiencing it firsthand, I hate the idea of just calling it a coincidence. It still very well could be... but I hate it. lol.

Is there any way theoretically that a faulty check valve in the housing could somehow cause this issue? Like if it was stuck closed or something during engine operation? Just trying to think of any possibilities regarding the correlation between ofhg repair and these locked motors.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #56
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
I think his case is a valid point. I just think that something is def happening but its a situation that cant be easily reproduced. Some factors have to be all lined up. For ex you might change it 20 times and not happen but happens on the 21st time.

But you also have a more realistic picture of this issue since u work on more cars than most of us. So i am totally confused. lol
If you remember on the other thread I wrote about unmolested x3 n55 with about 80k that seized the engine on the hwy within a week post BMW dealer oil change. So there is that too. Dealer offset no assistance. Owner swap used engine and got rid off it. Any non enthusiast BMW owner would after seeing few BMW at the shop with identical catastrophic engine failure. But when you consider that this x3 had only, I don't know, maybe 5 or 6 OCI total, can't be a bench mark really? A lot of these engines go for years with an OFH/OTH leak and we don't read about coolant and oil mixing. We read about broken belts and belts that entered the engine as a result. Why are the OFHG failing? They all do. Some at 50k some 100k some at 150k. These engines aren't build with longevity in mind. We need to accept that.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:23 PM   #57
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If you remember on the other thread I wrote about unmolested x3 n55 with about 80k that seized the engine on the hwy within a week post BMW dealer oil change. So there is that too. Dealer offset no assistance. Owner swap used engine and got rid off it. Any non enthusiast BMW owner would after seeing few BMW at the shop with identical catastrophic engine failure. But when you consider that this x3 had only, I don't know, maybe 5 or 6 OCI total, can't be a bench mark really? A lot of these engines go for years with an OFH/OTH leak and we don't read about coolant and oil mixing. We read about broken belts and belts that entered the engine as a result. Why are the OFHG failing? They all do. Some at 50k some 100k some at 150k. These engines aren't build with longevity in mind. We need to accept that.
Obviously not built for longitivity. I know for a fact that stuff will end up happening. But an unmolested x3 with 80K. Do you think that this vehicle exceeded the "longevity" of the engine?!

It just seems so weird that some engine manage to stay up and running so well while other fail prematurely. It's more than just who got lucky with their engine build. This is why I think that something happened to these engines whilst doing oil change or OFHG change.

I just checked my files and on April 13 2017, the dealer noted "big oil leak near oil filter housing gasket". I bought that car the december of that year and only got to change the gasket in the summer of 2018. So indeed, some engines will run with a leak for a good while. I change that gasket with no issue. But yet some people will less mileage than me and with no leak will do the same procedure and have a seized engine.

But yet again there are so many factors that could go wrong and we would never know about until that engine seize and this could triggered by OFHG change, per example!
feuer4275.50
      02-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #58
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Obviously not built for longitivity. I know for a fact that stuff will end up happening. But an unmolested x3 with 80K. Do you think that this vehicle exceeded the "longevity" of the engine?!

It just seems so weird that some engine manage to stay up and running so well while other fail prematurely. It's more than just who got lucky with their engine build. This is why I think that something happened to these engines whilst doing oil change or OFHG change.

I just checked my files and on April 13 2017, the dealer noted "big oil leak near oil filter housing gasket". I bought that car the december of that year and only got to change the gasket in the summer of 2018. So indeed, some engines will run with a leak for a good while. I change that gasket with no issue. But yet some people will less mileage than me and with no leak will do the same procedure and have a seized engine.

But yet again there are so many factors that could go wrong and we would never know about until that engine seize and this could triggered by OFHG change, per example!
80k? Definitely not. However, there are plethora of viriables: did engine run hot, the climate, did engine run low on oil, short vs long trips, improper warm up, long idle, driven hard, modifications like diferent tune, long OCI, running with issues like misfires, incorrect oil... I don't think we ever going to find out or agree but I'm definitely down for chicken wing and beer tonight.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 06:56 PM   #59
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Man this is depressing. I really hope my engine won't die or my life is F'ed lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #60
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
80k? Definitely not. However, there are plethora of viriables: did engine run hot, the climate, did engine run low on oil, short vs long trips, improper warm up, long idle, driven hard, modifications like diferent tune, long OCI, running with issues like misfires, incorrect oil... I don't think we ever going to find out or agree but I'm definitely down for chicken wing and beer tonight.
I have absolutely nothing more to add. You convey my view. This most likely never be solved, but what we can still do is enjoy life!
feuer4275.50
      02-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #61
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Man this is depressing. I really hope my engine won't die or my life is F'ed lol.
If it ever does I am here to give you a hand bro haha.
feuer4275.50
Pladi718.00
      02-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #62
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If it ever does I am here to give you a hand bro haha.

Thanks haha. It's just the frustrating thing is that it seems if you get hit with this problem you can't just swap the bearings out and it's to late and need a new engine. But I mean I guess that could always be last resort... N54 engine isn't that expensive... just a huge PITA.

I'm here for you as well hahaha. You want coding? I've got everything set up if you don't have a set up yourself.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #63
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post

Thanks haha. It's just the frustrating thing is that it seems if you get hit with this problem you can't just swap the bearings out and it's to late and need a new engine. But I mean I guess that could always be last resort... N54 engine isn't that expensive... just a huge PITA.

I'm here for you as well hahaha. You want coding? I've got everything set up if you don't have a set up yourself.
Damn I really need to meet you this summer. I will work on my garage and isolate it, because I will probably be needing to work on the car with all these talks hahaha!
      02-19-2019, 07:15 PM   #64
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Damn I really need to meet you this summer. I will work on my garage and isolate it, because I will probably be needing to work on the car with all these talks hahaha!
Isolated garage nice! I just can' t wait to get my own place with a big garage then I wouldn't have to worry as much.

And can't wait for summer to arrive, or at least winter to end
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2019, 07:48 PM   #65
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mane View Post
Even if the gasket was installed wrong and coolant was somehow introduced into the oil, would it really cause a bearing failure so quickly with such light driving? I don't really think that would be the case. .
I agree 100% with this statement.

Some new honda engies have a fuel dilution problem. sometimes up to 20 percent of the oil qty is fuel. Honda says is normal. Ofcourse thats far from normal, but engines run like that for thousands of miles..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:51 PM   #66
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
fuck i wish i was close to you guys, would totally like to meet up.
Appreciate 2