E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Weird noise after replacing harmonic balancer

04-13-2024, 05:32 PM   #1
MoreToolsthansense
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Weird noise after replacing harmonic balancer

Hey diesel-heads,
I tried to google up this sound/ issue and I'm not even sure how to describe what I'm hearing. It sounds a bit like a bolt bouncing around inside a dryer to me.
https://youtu.be/AnLgKCXVI1k

The sound is hard to distinguish in the video but it's a tapping/banging that seems to happen at random intervals.

As the title says, I replaced the harmonic balancer a few days ago and that's the general area it seems like the sound is coming from. It does not change with revs as far as I can tell and inside the car it's unnoticable.
Anybody ever heard a sound like this? I checked for loose bolts or other things out of place already of course, and there is no noticable change in performance.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 02:16 PM   #2
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

My guess and emphasize guess is one of the pulleys or tensioner. Turn engine off and one at a time carefully spray WD40 on bearing of each pulley and then start and check for noise. You should find which one is making noise after getting briefly quieter operation.

EDIT: make sure and check that the AC belt is back in all of its grooves. It is real easy to accidently have the belt one groove forward of the AC pulley. I've had this happen to me. I go through extra effort to push the belt aft ward as I spin the crankshaft. One time a friend posted a pic after belt work and I barely saw what I'm describing. He checked and sure shittin' he had the same thing. Not sure this causes a noise but isn't good for AC belt life.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 04-17-2024 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0