E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2006 Bmw N52 6MT 325i

09-26-2018, 05:22 PM   #1
jeraldthatman
Rep
Drives: 2006 Bmw 325i

2006 Bmw N52 6MT 325i

Hello, so my poor n52 has been suffering for the past few months, and I have no idea why.

I’ve been getting P0175, and here is the freeze data. I was getting P0420 and P0430 a few weeks back and put non-fouler on the O2 sensors so I no longer get those codes. I’ve checked and cleaned the MAF, sea-foamed through the throttle body, and found that the bank 2 catalytic converter is black where it connects to the rest of the exhaust. Also Ive found a small deposit of oil in the first o2 sensor thats on the top of the engine. Inspected the fuel injectors, found that the 5th was a little wet; so i swapped it with the 1st one and it drove noticeably better.

I have seen a big deficiency in fuel consumption, going down to about 17.00 mpg from 23, as well as terribly rough starts in the morning or after the car sits for a while. I regularly drive 60-100 miles 3x a week on the high-way, where there is a noticeable roughness when the pedal is down. Noticeable loss in power as well and a clicking sound screaming from the engine only when the car is in gear.

I put my phone under the hood to get a better listen, but man I’m stumped. A local BMW mechanic said that it is probably my CCV system, but are my symptoms a good fit for the diagnosis?

Side-note** I tried disconnecting the first o2 sensor where i found the oil, drove for a few miles and ended up getting p0015 camshaft position sensor over retarted.

Ive attached the engine sound to clarify a little bit better

Any suggestions, help, similar problems, SOLUTIONS are welcome. thanks
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip engine_rattle.zip (311.7 KB, 35 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
found that the bank 2 catalytic converter is black where it connects to the rest of the exhaust
Does black look like soot? You may be leaking exhaust at that connection.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2018, 07:28 PM   #3
jeraldthatman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Quote:
found that the bank 2 catalytic converter is black where it connects to the rest of the exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the reply, yes it does look like black soot. Should I look at where the exhaust manifold connects to the engine or the connection I referred too.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 07:45 PM   #4
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeraldthatman View Post
Thanks for the reply, yes it does look like black soot. Should I look at where the exhaust manifold connects to the engine or the connection I referred too.
The connection, since you are seeing the black soot there. You can also search for how to find exhaust leaks.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i 6spd

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeraldthatman View Post
Hello, so my poor n52 has been suffering for the past few months, and I have no idea why.

I’ve been getting P0175, and here is the freeze data. I was getting P0420 and P0430 a few weeks back and put non-fouler on the O2 sensors so I no longer get those codes. I’ve checked and cleaned the MAF, sea-foamed through the throttle body, and found that the bank 2 catalytic converter is black where it connects to the rest of the exhaust. Also Ive found a small deposit of oil in the first o2 sensor thats on the top of the engine. Inspected the fuel injectors, found that the 5th was a little wet; so i swapped it with the 1st one and it drove noticeably better.

I have seen a big deficiency in fuel consumption, going down to about 17.00 mpg from 23, as well as terribly rough starts in the morning or after the car sits for a while. I regularly drive 60-100 miles 3x a week on the high-way, where there is a noticeable roughness when the pedal is down. Noticeable loss in power as well and a clicking sound screaming from the engine only when the car is in gear.

I put my phone under the hood to get a better listen, but man I’m stumped. A local BMW mechanic said that it is probably my CCV system, but are my symptoms a good fit for the diagnosis?

Side-note** I tried disconnecting the first o2 sensor where i found the oil, drove for a few miles and ended up getting p0015 camshaft position sensor over retarted.

Ive attached the engine sound to clarify a little bit better

Any suggestions, help, similar problems, SOLUTIONS are welcome. thanks
I have the same car, same issues as well. i replaced both bank primary o2 sensors, entire ccv, cleaned maf sensor, ordered new connectors for the maf from a write up from a member here, replaced some coils, changed the oil, reset adapations and some other things. i wanted to replace my air filter too but its still clean. still no change. at this point im just throwing money into it so i gave up. im starting to think its the maf sensor it self. does anybody know how to test it? hope you find the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 03:10 PM   #6
jeraldthatman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gT-BMW View Post
I have the same car, same issues as well. i replaced both bank primary o2 sensors, entire ccv, cleaned maf sensor, ordered new connectors for the maf from a write up from a member here, replaced some coils, changed the oil, reset adapations and some other things. i wanted to replace my air filter too but its still clean. still no change. at this point im just throwing money into it so i gave up. im starting to think its the maf sensor it self. does anybody know how to test it? hope you find the issue.
thanks for the info, I was planning on getting some maf cleaner later on tonight, ill keep you updated on any changes.

i also cleaned the solenoids and found some of the connectors were dirty....

do you also have the noise when accelerating around 4k??
Appreciate 0