E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Program to recognize USB on RDP

03-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #1
USJonny
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Coupe

Program to recognize USB on RDP

I got a new fuel injector, and I'm trying to find a program that actually works and can recognize that the USB is plugged into my laptop, so that it can be connected to the remote desktop that I have INPA installed on.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 09:50 PM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Are you sure that RDP USB redirection is not merely off?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-in-windows-10

Some programs use serial over usb which will not work with RDP USB redirection however you can sometimes get around that by exposing the virtual serial port over RDP.

Make sure that com port sharing is enabled on the host machine and that the guest's client software also has device sharing enabled.

Then bring up the device manager on the guest and check what comm ports it's seeing.

Remember that the comm port number assignments may not be the same on the host as it is on the guest client.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #3
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by USJonny View Post
I got a new fuel injector, and I'm trying to find a program that actually works and can recognize that the USB is plugged into my laptop, so that it can be connected to the remote desktop that I have INPA installed on.

Thanks.
Exactly what are you trying to accomplish?

If it is that you want to control a USB (or Serial-to-USB) device remotely (i.e. have INPA on one machine use a DCAN cable connected to a remote machine), I don't believe capability is built into Remote Desktop. You'll have to purchase USB-over-IP software to do that.

But why bother? Installing INPA is pretty straightforward and does not take up very much space.
Appreciate 0