E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Anjuna's N55 Tuning Thread

02-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #23
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewLC View Post
This is awesome! I've been slowly working on my own tune as well but I'm not at a point where am savy enough to be able to define tables in the XDF or know much more than what's in the Cobb tuning guide.

I'm using Bootmod3 to tune my car (F series N55) and it seems as though almost all (if not a lot) of tables are defined. At least when I've compared it to the public XDF's that are available.

If you want to share a bin file, I can upload it and see what additional tables are available and pass along some screen shots? I'm not sure how beneficial that would be as it wouldn't tell you where the tables located but you can potentially see the values and compare? That might help in defining them?

Just trying to help anyway I can, as I would love to see more development in end user mapping!
I am F series as well. I would be glad to share my BIN and XDF (privately for now) with you.

For anyone reading, the privacy is NOT related to "trying to keep secrets" but is more so to elimination of releasing information to the public that is NOT 100% accurate.

The LAST thing I want to do is lead someone down the wrong path. All the information released in the first few posts of this thread in their subcategory are 95% confident. My personal XDF and BIN are always changing day-by-day in a lot of the non-released portions of what this post discusses.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 09:45 AM   #24
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna View Post
Yes. Later this morning or maybe this afternoon I will post up the XDFs that I have and am trying to keep up to date.

The public XDFs out there do have these tables defined.

I'll add the section to cover "exhaust flap open on start duration" as well.

EDIT - I spoke out of line. For 9e and 98, the exhaust portions have yet to be defined. I will work to define these over the weekend. Scanning the BIN with WinOLS is USUALLY pretty straight forward once you know what to look for. I'll put the XDFs up then, because at this moment, the 9e and 98 XDFs I work off of are the same as the public, but scaling is adjusted per the posts above.
I appreciate this! I probably have the same 98 XDF that you have and searched for the exhaust flap related tables after reading your post and didn't find them. Thanks again for you work on this!

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 06:04 PM   #25
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

A strong bout of depression hit this weekend. Zero progress made.

I will make some progress on this during this week.

Apologies to those waiting.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #26
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A strong bout of depression hit this weekend. Zero progress made.

I will make some progress on this during this week.
Sorry to hear that man. Whenever I get that way I just go work on my car, even if it's something as trivial as heat wrapping an intake pipe or washing my car. It usually helps and gets my mind off whatever is bringing me down. I also will go stare at my race schedule I usually have posted on my frig, so I can see what I have to look forward to.

1Mpostr

Last edited by JPuehl; 02-16-2020 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2020, 08:26 AM   #27
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPuehl View Post
I appreciate this! I probably have the same 98 XDF that you have and searched for the exhaust flap related tables after reading your post and didn't find them. Thanks again for you work on this!
I added the 98 xdf to the first post. I didn't define all of the exhaust valve control tables, mostly because this will take a little bit of testing. On my vehicle, the rows are R, N, 1-8 (total of 10 rows) but there are a few tables on the 98 that only have 9 rows.

Reverse is generally always closed, so it looks like it may be a R, N, 1-7? Possibly for MT guys, but we will have to test it.

As stated in the XDF, 255 is CLOSED, 0 is OPEN, and anywhere inbetween looks to weigh the load or some other logic to control the flap. There are some other bits to control the flap that I am not privvy to; it is very hard for me to track down single data registers across platforms. Most of the tables can be found through pattern matching, but single cells are hard to match.

Try it out and let me know. I can flesh it out with "breakpoints" and such if it works.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:03 AM   #28
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I added the 98 xdf to the first post. I didn't define all of the exhaust valve control tables, mostly because this will take a little bit of testing. On my vehicle, the rows are R, N, 1-8 (total of 10 rows) but there are a few tables on the 98 that only have 9 rows.

Reverse is generally always closed, so it looks like it may be a R, N, 1-7? Possibly for MT guys, but we will have to test it.

As stated in the XDF, 255 is CLOSED, 0 is OPEN, and anywhere inbetween looks to weigh the load or some other logic to control the flap. There are some other bits to control the flap that I am not privvy to; it is very hard for me to track down single data registers across platforms. Most of the tables can be found through pattern matching, but single cells are hard to match.

Try it out and let me know. I can flesh it out with "breakpoints" and such if it works.
Awesome thanks. I'll see what I can figure out. I have a DCT but I'll play with it and see.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 11:44 AM   #29
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I looked at the "Exhaust" section and looked at all the values in the tables and for my car, which is an E, my values are 255 and 13, 13 must be open. I'm going to play with these a bit tonight. I have a DCT with 7 forward gears so I'll play with "Exhaust value control 5" to 8, just wish I knew when each is used.

I did make a change to your XDF file as the "Exhaust Valve Control 2" table fell to the very bottom of the parameter tree and I ordered the tables by the number on the name. I can email you the file if you're interested, apparently it's just a little too big to attach.

I appreciate your work on this and will report back what I find out about the exhaust tables.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 11:47 AM   #30
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I looked at the "Exhaust" section and looked at all the values in the tables and for my car, which is an E, my values are 255 and 13, 13 must be open. I'm going to play with these a bit tonight. I have a DCT with 7 forward gears so I'll play with "Exhaust value control 5" to 8, just wish I knew when each is used.

I did make a change to your XDF file as the "Exhaust Valve Control 2" table fell to the very bottom of the parameter tree and I ordered the tables by the number on the name. I can email you the file if you're interested, apparently it's just a little too big to attach.

I appreciate your work on this and will report back what I find out about the exhaust tables.
Yes, welcome to the challenge in making new definitions without A2L/bosch definitions

The 98 XDF will continue to grow - If this works out for you, then I will go through and add "breakpoints" so that you can refine the RPM values.

As I said before, any value between 0 and 255 uses the load logic to open the flap. I am still exploring how this functions.
Appreciate 1
JPuehl101.00
      02-18-2020, 12:24 PM   #31
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, welcome to the challenge in making new definitions without A2L/bosch definitions

The 98 XDF will continue to grow - If this works out for you, then I will go through and add "breakpoints" so that you can refine the RPM values.

As I said before, any value between 0 and 255 uses the load logic to open the flap. I am still exploring how this functions.
What I did was created 8 bin files each having 1 of the 8 tables with all values of 255 and I'll load each one and drive down the street by my house that has a concrete block sound wall where I should be able to hear the difference between open and closed. The interesting thing is that is that all tables have all values from 1320 rpm and lower as being closed however, in park anyway, my flap opens about 1 minute after the car is done with cold start. I can have my daughter back up my car and I'll listen for the value closing since all tables have the valve closed in reverse. Should be interesting.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #32
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
my flap opens about 1 minute after the car is done with cold start
wat.

This is weird because most of the logic for exhaust flaps are "open for x period after start" not "open after x period" - meaning the exhaust flap starts in the open position, then closes, at least on the ones I've been working on.

Let me know how things go for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 12:34 PM   #33
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Garage List
My exhaust flap closes as soon as I start the engine (cold start) then opens when the rpm starts settling down to 700. That's when I start hearing the valvetronic motor running and the intake valves hitting.
Pure Stage 1 | DV+ & Inlet | Injen Intake | M3 Cowl | ETS 5" FMIC & CP | Aquamist HFS4 Direct Port | CSF Radiator | Wagner Catted DP | BMW PE | Apex FL-5 | Michelin PS4S | 335is Engine mount | SDW Monoball thrust arms | UUC Swaybars & SS Brake lines | Bilstein B8 | Dinan Springs & Shock mounts | Whiteline RSFB | M3 Rear Control arms | Manzo Toe arms | Wavetrac LSD
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #34
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
My exhaust flap closes as soon as I start the engine (cold start) then opens when the rpm starts settling down to 700. That's when I start hearing the valvetronic motor running and the intake valves hitting.
This is how mine behaves as well, sorry if I wasn't clear.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:44 AM   #35
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Last night I tested table 1 and 5 which I set all values to 255 and my exhaust flap operated as normal, opened at about 650 rpm after cold start. Later in the evening I realized I tested with my DCT in manual mode and those maps may not apply to manual mode. This morning I set all values to all 8 tables to 255 and drove with the trans in sport mode and the flap still opened as normal. It seems these tables don't have an affect on my car. I'll still test each table being set to 255 and see what happens.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:49 AM   #36
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Last night I tested table 1 and 5 which I set all values to 255 and my exhaust flap operated as normal, opened at about 650 rpm after cold start. Later in the evening I realized I tested with my DCT in manual mode and those maps may not apply to manual mode. This morning I set all values to all 8 tables to 255 and drove with the trans in sport mode and the flap still opened as normal. It seems these tables don't have an affect on my car. I'll still test each table being set to 255 and see what happens.
It could be that these values need modification on your bin... Like i said before, it's a lot harder to find singular values (with no axes) because it's all pattern recognition.

These values control the operational behavior of the flap and the "min speed to control with pedal" which, in my case, allows me to keep the flap closed until a certain speed (and also part of the "additional logic" I've been talking about, as this opens the flap under load).

EDIT - it may also be possible that this logic is "inverted" for E series. That could be why you're describing the opposite behavior than I am experiencing in my own testing... that would be odd.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #37
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm still not having luck with the 8 exhaust flap tables you found, nothing seems to change when I set all values to 255 and the 98G0B XFD doesn't have the 2 tables you mentioned. As a side note I noticed that the MHD app has an "Exhaust flap always open in sport mode." option which leads me to believe that they may have found the table(s) that control the exhaust flap. I sent them an email asking how they control this and if they could share the tables used, if that's how it's done. I doubt there's much demand from people wanting their car's to be quieter so probably not much research has been put into this, lol.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:18 AM   #38
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm still not having luck with the 8 exhaust flap tables you found, nothing seems to change when I set all values to 255 and the 98G0B XFD doesn't have the 2 tables you mentioned. As a side note I noticed that the MHD app has an "Exhaust flap always open in sport mode." option which leads me to believe that they may have found the table(s) that control the exhaust flap. I sent them an email asking how they control this and if they could share the tables used, if that's how it's done. I doubt there's much demand from people wanting their car's to be quieter so probably not much research has been put into this, lol.
There may be more tables that don't scale over to what is in the F series (though, I am hesitant to say this, as most everything is copy pasta between HW revs, as BMW wouldn't reinvent the logic/ladder for each model).

I noticed some fuckery about in my last personal log... My F series has an 8AT, but my log indicates gears incorrectly. idk if this is an xHP thing or an MHD thing or an Anjuna thing, but I first noticed it when my exhaust flap was opening in 8th gear (I had it forced shut). I need to do some more development work on my platform for this.

I can tell you with 90% certainty that MHD is doing the same thing with the exhaust flap tables that I have described, but they have the added benefit of having found the codewort data memory as well as the minimum speed.

If they do magically share the goods with you, keep me informed and I'll flesh out the XDF more. For now, I'm gonna try another route....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #39
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
BMW wouldn't reinvent the logic/ladder for each model).
Agreed!

Quote:
I noticed some fuckery about in my last personal log... My F series has an 8AT, but my log indicates gears incorrectly. idk if this is an xHP thing or an MHD thing or an Anjuna thing, but I first noticed it when my exhaust flap was opening in 8th gear (I had it forced shut). I need to do some more development work on my platform for this.
I have a DCT so I'll be able to help that the table used with that.

Quote:
I can tell you with 90% certainty that MHD is doing the same thing with the exhaust flap tables that I have described, but they have the added benefit of having found the codewort data memory as well as the minimum speed.

If they do magically share the goods with you, keep me informed and I'll flesh out the XDF more. For now, I'm gonna try another route....
I'll definitely share whatever I figure out about the tables with or without the help of MHD. Just hoping they share the info if they figured it out.

BTW, what app/tool do you use to look at the BIN files?

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 04:01 PM   #40
Anon1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M-Sport DCT

JPuehl, do you happen to have burbles enabled? This option zeroes out the exhaust tables.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #41
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon1 View Post
JPuehl, do you happen to have burbles enabled? This option zeroes out the exhaust tables.
No I don't. I'm trying to get the makers of the MHD app to give me some info on the tables since the app has an "Exhaust flap always open in sport mode." option which is probably controlled by the tables I'm looking for.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 10:37 AM   #42
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There may be more tables that don't scale over to what is in the F series (though, I am hesitant to say this, as most everything is copy pasta between HW revs, as BMW wouldn't reinvent the logic/ladder for each model).

According to Momir at MHD the flap is controlled by software and not tables, which doesn't make sure since you found the 8 tables you added to the XDF file. He also said the flap is supposed to close when driving above 12 -15 mph, which mine doesn't, it stays open.

I'm going to try changing all 8 table from having values of 255 where I want it closed to values of 0 to see if they are controlled by tables but just have the open/close values reversed.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 06:10 PM   #43
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i LeMans Blue/Terracota

OP, thanks for creating the spreadsheet.

One quick thing. The XDF's attached dont have the injection window tables. They appear to be the tables the tables we've had already.

I sent you a PM about a few things.

If we want to move forward as a community we'll need to openly share information. As much as it stings to share your work, others can add to it. Like the evo guys did with the Tephra mod.

It might be a good idea to start with a primary XDF that everyone can build off of and a damos file. I have several tables not mentioned here and would be happy to contribute
_______

Also, I input your conversion factor for Vanos Intake Moving Warm 2 on the stock VANOS in the 98G0B ROM. What my table looks like is different than the example you posted. Does this match your stock file?

Last edited by all4bspinnin; 02-24-2020 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #44
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4bspinnin View Post
As much as it stings to share your work, others can add to it. Like the evo guys did with the Tephra mod.
I have no problem sharing my XDF with those who ask, but it's an F series XDF (that's my personal platform). Additionally, I do a lot of development, so there's a good bit of confusing/changing tables. I am trying to post stuff here that has been reliably defined and I have also been slacking...

I responded to your PM as well.
Appreciate 0