E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help! Major oil leak when running

04-05-2020, 05:16 PM   #1
Mountain427
Rep
Drives: 2007 335 convertible

2007 E93. 62k miles.

I installed a VRSF 5.5 Intercooler and after returning from a test drive I noticed oil gushing out when the car was at idle.

I don't think I clipped anything during install but the timing is uncanny. The oil appears to originate in the front bottom half of the engine and then drains through the subframe or is splashed by the belts.

I have a new OFH and Gasket and they are clean. New Valve cover gasket is clean as well.

When the engine is off- no viable leaks. When it's running, it will pool on the floor within a minute.
      04-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

What kind of engine? Oil cooler?

Gravity... Follow it up.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 08:50 PM   #3
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
I’ve seen cooler lines fail and leak out in a stream.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 09:14 PM   #4
Mountain427
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post

Gravity... Follow it up.
N54 engine. Aftermarket cooler retrofit done 2000 miles ago.

For the lines from the OFH to the cooler, those are new and don't appear to be leaking.

As best I can tell there are two lines from the bottom of the engine that are leaking (if those are even oil lines) or it's the front crankshaft seal.

I tried to point to them on a picture.
Attached Images

04-05-2020, 10:16 PM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain427 View Post
Quote:

Gravity... Follow it up.

For the lines from the OFH to the cooler, those are new and don't appear to be leaking.

As best I can tell there are two lines from the bottom of the engine that are leaking (if those are even oil lines) or it's the front crankshaft seal.

Those lines are AT cooler lines, they are connected to the AT cooler that's screwed into the fan shroud.

Not cheap. You will need a special key tool, in order to get them off.

CTA Tools 3466 BMW Power Steering and Transmission Line Disconnect Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009VI9P62..._N7PIEbNDGBYJH

There's two more hydraulic lines over to the very right of the engine bay. The are PS steering cooler lines.

Does it smell like AT fluid? AT fluid is red & it has a distinct smell.

The only other hydraulic lines you might have are if you have an oil cooler, but those are primarily on top and make there way behind the passenger side wheel well cover.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 10:21 PM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
2007 E93. 62k miles.

I installed a VRSF 5.5 Intercooler and after returning from a test drive I noticed oil gushing out when the car was at idle.

I don't think I clipped anything during install but the timing is uncanny. The oil appears to originate in the front bottom half of the engine and then drains through the subframe or is splashed by the belts.

I have a new OFH and Gasket and they are clean. New Valve cover gasket is clean as well.

When the engine is off- no viable leaks. When it's running, it will pool on the floor within a minute.
There's a way to tell if the front crank seal is leaking, but you have to remove the belt & crank pulley (harmonic balancer). You'd also need at least a 30amp battery charger/ maintainer.

You hook up the battery charger/ maintainer and set it to maintainer mode. Start up the car and let it run without the crank pulley & belt on. It will run. If you see oil leaking out the crank seal, that's your culprit.

With 62k though, I highly doubt your front crank seal is bad. This particular seal is not a known problem until well after 125,000 miles, in most cases
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 11:18 PM   #7
Mountain427
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Gravity... Follow it up.

Those lines are AT cooler lines, they are connected to the AT cooler that's screwed into the fan shroud.

Not cheap. You will need a special key tool, in order to get them off.

CTA Tools 3466 BMW Power Steering and Transmission Line Disconnect Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009VI9P62..._N7PIEbNDGBYJH

There's two more hydraulic lines over to the very right of the engine bay. The are PS steering cooler lines.

Does it smell like AT fluid? AT fluid is red & it has a distinct smell.

The only other hydraulic lines you might have are if you have an oil cooler, but those are primarily on top and make there way behind the passenger side wheel well cover.
Hi, thanks. It's definitely oil so it must be splashing into those lines.
      04-05-2020, 11:19 PM   #8
Mountain427
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
2007 E93. 62k miles.

There's a way to tell if the front crank seal is leaking, but you have to remove the belt & crank pulley (harmonic balancer). You'd also need at least a 30amp battery charger/ maintainer.

You hook up the battery charger/ maintainer and set it to maintainer mode. Start up the car and let it run without the crank pulley & belt on. It will run. If you see oil leaking out the crank seal, that's your culprit.

With 62k though, I highly doubt your front crank seal is bad. This particular seal is not a known problem until well after 125,000 miles, in most cases
Thanks. I will try that route.
      04-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #9
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
2007 E93. 62k miles.

If it is your crank seal, you light what to update you pulleys, belt tensioner & belt while you are in there. Also, consider an aluminum PS pulley. Maybe even get a crank seal plate.

Let me know. I have some tips & tricks for the front crank seal diy
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #10
Mountain427
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
2007 E93. 62k miles.

If it is your crank seal, you light what to update you pulleys, belt tensioner & belt while you are in there. Also, consider an aluminum PS pulley. Maybe even get a crank seal plate.

Thanks. Considering how the FMIC kicked my ass I'm wary of trying the seal. Although it's not like I can leave the house now anyway if I can't get it to work.
      04-06-2020, 05:37 PM   #11
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
2007 E93. 62k miles.

Thanks. Considering how the FMIC kicked my ass I'm wary of trying the seal. Although it's not like I can leave the house now anyway if I can't get it to work.
You will need to rent a tool & buy a tube of Ultra Grey.

Get an OEM seal from FCP Euro. This way you get a lifetime warranty.

https://m.eeuroparts.com/Parts/14024...119220KITRENT/
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:57 PM   #12
Mountain427
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
2007 E93. 62k miles.

You will need to rent a tool & buy a tube of Ultra Grey.

Get an OEM seal from FCP Euro. This way you get a lifetime warranty.

https://m.eeuroparts.com/Parts/14024...119220KITRENT/
Solved! Good ole' simplest reason is right.

It was the oil line. When I routed my shiny new stainless steel cable I got it too close to the crankshaft and after 2,000 miles it wore through the cable causing the leak. (Doh!). Lesson learned for me.

Thanks for the help!