E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E91/ Help me understand how the OBC is controlled...

01-25-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
mkrazit
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: `13 VW JSW TDI, `90 MX-5

E91/ Help me understand how the OBC is controlled...

I have a 2011 328i Touring w/o I-Drive, base audio w/ the BMW Professional single-disc in-dash CD HU. I've been having an issue w/ the OBC errantically cycling through menus and resetting them, like the BC button and scroll wheel are sticking/shorting. And randomly, the BC button and scroll wheel do not respond to inputs.

I recently replaced the turn signal stalk switch (plugs into the steering column switch assembly) w/ a used one. It seems like the behavior lessened after this, but it will still cycle through and reset randomly. I'm thinking now the root cause lies somewhere upstream of the turn signal stalk switch.

I'm starting here in the General forum, as I wasn't sure what technical sub-forum this belonged in. I've searched multiple times through Google, and I'm apparently not using the right search terms to find relevant results. Pelican Parts has a writeup on replacing the steering column switch assembly (https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm) but it'd be nice to diagnose first -- or even reflash, if it's controlled by an ECU I can get to using INPA and NCS Expert.

I'm mainly concerned about being about to reliably check oil level, even though my E91 has never used oil in my ownership, still nice to check whenever I feel like it.

So...anybody know more about the OBC??

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mkrazit; 01-25-2018 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: Extra characters in thread title
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
BMW-North
Rep
Drives: e92

Your symptoms are consistent with a broken/damaged wire in the BC stalk. Common across many BMW models - Here's a link to a guy fixing it on a different model but you'll get the idea. I've repaired them on an e90, e83 and e46.

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...button-t36778/
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
mkrazit
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I appreciate the reply and link. Does the E9x version split into individual wires w/in the stalk or does it remain ribbon? What I'm getting at: is there access to check continuity from BC button to turn signal switch?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
BMW-North
Rep
Drives: e92

there are 2 wires (blue and brown If I recall) running up the bc stalk arm just like the one pictured. It is typically one of these that causes intermittent then complete scroll loss. Normally a cracked or split wire causes this. I’ve even pinched one myself during a repair.

Edit. These wires are independent of the trun signal harness except they get stressed from the movement.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
mkrazit
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I began to disassemble my original turn signal stalk last night. Two hooked tabs attached to the front "clamshell" of the stalk need to be pressed down and away from the back clamshell. I could only accomplish this in a soft-jawed vise.

It appears the E9x uses a ribbon w/ traces instead of 2 discrete wires. There are 6 contact pads on the end of the ribbon that use little carbon pads in soft buttons under the BC and scroll wheel linkage to complete the circuits -- quite clever.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ad30qlg9ocb...14804.jpg?dl=0
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/46ggxey2xag...95752.jpg?dl=0

I have some traces that had resistance (200-600 ohms) when continuity was checked between both ends. The only suspect area I see is this:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/rwpfhpq4u4q...95826.jpg?dl=0

At this point, I see my options are 1) take a chance and buy another cheap clockspring/stalk assembly to steal a better ribbon trace cable or 2) attempt a fix myself using thin copper wire to jump the bad areas of the ribbon. The latter is probably the right way to fix this.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
JMG__335i
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrazit View Post
I appreciate the reply and link. Does the E9x version split into individual wires w/in the stalk or does it remain ribbon? What I'm getting at: is there access to check continuity from BC button to turn signal switch?
Mkrazit - year old thread but... Did you find a fix for this? Going through same thing and already replaced turn stalk assembly.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 10:22 PM   #7
mkrazit
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG__335i View Post
Mkrazit - year old thread but... Did you find a fix for this? Going through same thing and already replaced turn stalk assembly.
I didn't get around to fixing this before selling the car in May 2018. I did find some how-to's on YouTube for repairing copper traces on ribbon cables and similar (I recall someone fixing an arcade machine...?). I would have followed one of those to lay new copper and secure it to the ribbon for longevity.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 06:03 AM   #8
JMG__335i
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrazit View Post
I didn't get around to fixing this before selling the car in May 2018. I did find some how-to's on YouTube for repairing copper traces on ribbon cables and similar (I recall someone fixing an arcade machine...?). I would have followed one of those to lay new copper and secure it to the ribbon for longevity.
Gotcha , thanks. I know on e46’s the wires in the stalk were getting crimped but if I’ve already replaced the stalk assembly and the problem continued so I’m thinking it must be down stream from that. I’ll pull the cluster and inspect the wiring back there. Obviously it’s getting power but I’m assuming bad wiring/wiring damage could still cause the issue?

Anyone else able to chime in??
Appreciate 0